Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Diego Chargers
Re: Jarrod Atkinson

Jarrod gets AFL call-up

http://bendigo.yourguide.com.au/articles/1102859.html?src=topstories

METRICON Bendigo Bombers defender Jarrod Atkinson was picked up by Essendon in yesterday’s AFL rookie draft.

The 22-year-old, who had been taking part in pre-season training with Essendon, was taken with pick 21 in the second round of the rookie draft.

Atkinson was the only player from Bendigo selected yesterday.

Highly-rated Bendigo Pioneers skipper Grant Ford missed selection as did Bendigo Bombers ruckman Tim Plummer.

Originally from the Rumbalara Football Club in Shepparton, Atkinson was rewarded by his former Bendigo Bombers coach Matthew Knights for a consistent VFL season this year.

Atkinson impressed in the VFL with his hard running and creativity across half-back.

At 192 cm and 88 kg, Atkinson has the build to cope with senior footy should Essendon need to promote him to its AFL list next year.

Bendigo Bombers general manager Jeff Brennan said Atkinson’s selection in the rookie draft was a feather in the club’s cap.

‘‘It’s fantastic for Jarrod and the club,’’ Brennan said.

‘‘Jarrod had one year in our system and has been given an opportunity at the next level.

“That just proves to the younger guys on our list and to other prospective players that there is a pathway through the Bombers to an AFL club.

‘‘The bonus for us is that Jarrod was picked up by Essendon, but he’ll still get to play with the Bendigo Bombers next year.’’

Yesterday’s pre-season and rookie drafts didn’t hurt the Bombers.

With Ford missing selection he’s likely to join the Bendigo Bombers, while a number of Gippsland Power players are now expected to make the move to Bendigo after failing to get picked up by an AFL club.

New Bombers coach Adrian Hickmott led the Power to the minor premiership in the TAC Cup this year.

Only one Power player, ruckman Ben Connelly, was taken in the rookie draft yesterday.

‘‘Now that the pre-season draft and rookie draft is over we can go after the players we’ve had listed as recruiting targets,’’ Brennan said.

‘‘We’ll be chasing players who are still young enough to come into our system and improve their game and give themselves the chance of being picked up by an AFL club.

‘‘We expect to add 12 to 15 TAC Cup players to our list this year.’’

hulld

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
VIC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Rockets, Storm, Cowboys

looks ready made for afl footy. a handy guy to have on the rookie list if we have a number of injuries

Merv

<b>Resident Mongrel</b>
10k Posts
Jun 24, 2006
The start of a new era
AFL Club
Essendon
Re: 38. Jarrod Atkinson

Jarrod Atkinson at Windy Hill​
Atkinson adds name to record books

Thursday, 6 March 2008
First-year rookie Jarrod Atkinson has caused his teammates, coaches and the wider football community to stand up and take notice this year after displaying some impressive form in the NAB Cup competition over the past three weeks.

This week, Atkinson continued to show he is out to make the most of his opportunity at Essendon, putting in a sensational performance to secure the club sprint record over 20m with a time of 2.73 seconds. He broke the previous record of 2.75 seconds that had been held jointly held by Alwyn Davey, Courtenay Dempsey and Leroy Jetta. The man himself was surprised with the result.

“I am over the moon to hold a record here, especially in my first year,” Atkinson said. “I have only been here for two or three months and to break a record in that time is a real surprise for me.

“When I had finished all of the boys started clapping and cheering and everyone was just as excited as me that I actually broke the record.

“I don’t think anyone really thought that I had that speed aspect of my game and I had to actually prove myself to the team and the trainers so it was really good when I came through with the record.

“I think it puts me in another category where people know I can turn on the pace and be quite quick and match the kind of blokes like Jetta, Davey and Dempsey."

Over the past three weeks of the NAB Cup, Atkinson has shown he has the size and speed to make it at the elite level. Atkinson was just grateful for the opportunity to play on the main stage.

“I was pretty excited and was glad that Knighta went with a younger team instead of just playing all the senior blokes,” Atkinson said. “He gave us all a chance to have a go and I was just over the moon to be honest.

“It was exciting to actually get out there and play one game - let alone three games. It was great to be able to get a taste of it and know what is expected in senior football and play on senior AFL players and get that experience and see how they play.

“It would have been good to play with Dustin Fletcher because he is a senior player and a champion of the game but just to play in any AFL team is excitement in itself and I am really glad I was give the opportunity to get out there and play.”

Atkinson is hopeful that his impressive start to the year may lead to the opportunity to play senior football this year but understands he must be patient as he waits for his chance to play.

“I’d really love to have the chance to play in the seniors again this year,” Atkinson said.

“I guess I am in the running just like any other rookie but I just have to wait for the opportunity to come and then I will give it my best crack.

“At the moment though, I am just trying to live and learn off everyone – especially the senior guys who have been here for a while."

Atkinson played with Bendigo last season so new Bomber senior coach Matthew Knights got a good look at his development.

“I had to work just as hard to get on the list,” Atkinson said. “I don’t see myself benefiting just because he coached me last year. I still have to work just as hard and do just as much work as any other player," he said.

“I played with most of the boys at Bendigo so the transition part of it was a lot easier than a lot of the other guys.

“But I am still training as hard as I can and getting used to everything and look forward to an opportunity in the coming year or two.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=5616

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

He looks a likely type. Good size and pace and skills are ok.

He could be a late bloomer and if he can keeps on improving then he might get a few games later this year.

The only problem I see is that we have too many of his hbf type in NLM, Nash, Welsh, Slatts, McVeigh.

He needs to regularly dominate VFL games this year.

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys,Notre Dame

He looks a likely type. Good size and pace and skills are ok.

He could be a late bloomer and if he can keeps on improving then he might get a few games later this year.

The only problem I see is that we have too many of his hbf type in NLM, Nash, Welsh, Slatts, McVeigh.

He needs to regularly dominate VFL games this year.

he'd fit in nice playing that lockdown role in the back half that McVeigh and MJ used to do so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon

He looks a lot more than that.
Club site has nothing...
Jarrod gets AFL call-up
At 192 cm and 88 kg, Atkinson has the build to cope with senior footy should Essendon need to promote him to its AFL list next year.
???
from the first page of this thread... where did 185 come from Longy?

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon

7cm/3 inches is a fair discrepancy between sources

Dare we suggest the Bendigo article was doing a bit of spruiking? You expect a cm or two, but 3 inches is a fair old whack

To the naked eye, he looks about 6'2" to me, sorta Welsh height

whirl

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2003
Scranton
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon

I agree, he looks a lot more like he's in that 185 -188cm range than he does 192cm.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Congatulations Koala Bear on getting elevated. give'em hell Bros!!!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I can handle him having a bad game, AS LONG HE HURTS SOMEONE.

J/k sorta..

Good luck to him, if he puts in 100% effort he will have a good game. Really hoping he takes this chance, as he can stay all season with davey out, provided he shows he wants to be there.

Schmick

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Marshmellow Lane
AFL Club
Essendon

We have no really good small defenders in our team yet, so I think the best thing Knights could do with Atto would be to use him as a small defender who can shut down the likes off Didak, Farmer ect. It's the only position I can see him making it as he'd have great pace and agility to go with these guys, and he has a strong body that will allow him to win the contested situations aswell. His decision making and disposal is average at best running off half back so I really can't see him becoming a running half back because of this.

Good luck Jarrod :thumbsu:

forever green

Debutant
Mar 1, 2008
S Block
AFL Club
Essendon
Jarrod (itsa) Atkinson

I really liked the look of this kid... why don't they try him in the midfield and see if could show something...does anyone think that he miht keep his spot in the team...
and (Itsa) is his nickname

Remove this Banner Ad

Back