Number 5 (was 35) - Garrick Ibbotson (pick 26 2005 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Number 35 - Garrick Ibbotson

Star in the making. Would really like to see him step up and become a permanent on-baller next year

I've got a feeling we might be grooming him to alternate between the midfield and a Luke Hodge type quarterback role.

Remember when Ibbo was drafted, and there were scores of posters who were pissed off because we took this unknown scrawny kid when Andrew Swallow was still available.... :eek:

Hands up who would still prefer to have Swallow over Ibbo.... ;) :thumbsdown: :D

I guess it just goes to show that we need to trust the guys selecting our draft picks. :thumbsu:

They know what they are doing.

Remember when Ibbo was drafted, and there were scores of posters who were pissed off because we took this unknown scrawny kid when Andrew Swallow was still available.... :eek:

Hands up who would still prefer to have Swallow over Ibbo.... ;) :thumbsdown: :D
I was one. Well, I wasn't pissed off exactly, but I did question the decision

you would still question it,
its not as if either of them have reached their peak

Ibbo has much more room for improvement at this stage of their careers. The only question on drafting Ibbo would be that we probably didn't need to use such a high pick on him, I doubt he was on many radars at the time.

garrick_ibbotson.jpg

He's my target at the Buddy-draft. If I end up with No.1 pick, IP might as well lock it in. :)

Ibbo has much more room for improvement at this stage of their careers. The only question on drafting Ibbo would be that we probably didn't need to use such a high pick on him, I doubt he was on many radars at the time.
You can't take those chances.

The kid is all class.

One touch player that use's it extremely well, just needs to find more of it.

Amazing how well Palmer and Ibbotson compliment eachother, if only they can get a little more onfield guidance from the likes of Haselby & Headland.

Ultimately i see Ibbotson playing off a HBF or on the wing.

He's awesome running back with the flight to take a mark.

Both he and Palmer read the flight very well.

But Ibbotson isn't a natural clearance winner.

Palmer just naturally finds the ball in congestion. Ibbotson not so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On The Backyard furom of Adelaide page, Im in a draft game. And need a HBF (or even a HFF) And I think Ibbotson would be perfect for one of my vacant HBF positions.

What I want to know is, Do you think he will improve this following season of any real extent, or he'll stay the same.
Well to make it out a bit better. WOuld he be better than McLeod next year?

he has improved every year he has been on the list and at 21 he still has more room to grow

I don't know whether he will be better than Mcleod next year. I do think he has the ability to step up and be an elite talent but we will have to wait and see

I've been watching a few replays of Freo games of fox the last couple of weeks* and I had forgotten just how good Ibbo is. In all the Palmer hype I think he got a little overlooked this year but he really is something special.

The way he calmly sidesteps through traffic and the effortless yet gutsy way he plays just oozes class. Let's just hope he continues to improve and fully realises his enormous potential.

*we've had quite a few replays shown because of the amount of close, exciting games we had. Mostly losses though so I usually turn them off with about 5 minutes to go. It's just too heartbreaking to relive every team celebrating after a last gasp win over us. 2008 was a f**king painful year.

I've been watching a few replays of Freo games of fox the last couple of weeks* and I had forgotten just how good Ibbo is. In all the Palmer hype I think he got a little overlooked this year but he really is something special.

The way he calmly sidesteps through traffic and the effortless yet gutsy way he plays just oozes class. Let's just hope he continues to improve and fully realises his enormous potential.

*we've had quite a few replays shown because of the amount of close, exciting games we had. Mostly losses though so I usually turn them off with about 5 minutes to go. It's just too heartbreaking to relive every team celebrating after a last gasp win over us. 2008 was a f**king painful year.
Dude, when have these replays been on?!

Are there anymore? I could kill to watch some games, even the losses. This off season feels too long!

Ibbo's yet to rack up the possessions, but he got double figures in every single game he played last season, which was practically his first.

From the West

Freo’s new guiding light

Ibbotson urges younger brigade to take up leadership slack

CRAIG O’DONOGHUE BROOME

Fremantle’s younger players have assumed the responsibility for lifting the club back up the ladder, with midfielder Garrick Ibbotson revealing the squad has a new outlook after losing so many experienced players since last year.

The Dockers said goodbye to Peter Bell, Shaun McManus, Josh Carr, Matthew Carr, Jeff Farmer, Mark Johnson and Heath Black last season, which removed more than 1500 games from the playing list.

Fremantle then selected eight youngsters at the national draft and a further six at the rookie draft, adding an entirely new dimension to the club.

The Dockers also unveiled a new leadership group, with only captain Matthew Pavlich remaining from the 2008 group.

Ibbotson said players in the past were happy to allow their official leaders and experienced stars to hand out advice and play the main on-field roles, but that would change in 2009.

“The guys who are 20-23 are still learning but that top-end experience isn’t there any more,” he said. “They realise that the younger guys are relying on them more than they would if we had guys like Belly and Shauny Mac still here.

“More questions are going to come to them. Guys like Byron Schammer, David Mundy and anyone who has played 50-100 games will be taking it on board themselves to lead on the field.

“We still have a lot of experience at the club, but the second tier still have to lift.

“We’ve had a big enough influx for our development to almost take over our senior group in numbers. It’s good for them to have a big group. They’re all excited to learn and improve and we have to help them.

“I’m into my fourth year so I’ve just left the development group but I’ll be expected to help the development guys through.

“We need guys to be pushing up and challenging. Hopefully some will even start pushing Pav because that will make him better and that will make us better.”

Ibbotson joined a young group of players in Broome yesterday, visiting schools and meeting the residents as part of their community camp. The team will train with some local youngsters tonight after a football clinic.

The 20-year-old didn’t play in Monday night’s intraclub game at Subiaco Oval, but is available to play in the Dockers’ opening NAB Cup match against Richmond on Sunday week.

It will be a new-look Ibbotson in that game, with the on-baller taking over the No. 5 vacated by Ryley Dunn. Ibbotson said he had been wanting to wear that number since he was seven years old and jumped at the chance.

“No. 5 was the first sporting number I wore in primary school when I was seven,” he explained.

Gun of the highest order. Will be better than Palmer and this year will be his making.

Any chance of changing the title to Number 5??? seeign as he is no longer 35. Sorry but I'm in a pedantic mood today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back