Number 30 - Zachary Clarke (Pick 37 - 2008 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

jgb99

Club Legend
May 21, 2008
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
AFL.com.au profile on Clarke

Date of birth: 28/9/90
Height: 203cm
Weight: 83kg
Club: Oakleigh Chargers

Bio: Clarke is a ruckman who has also shown an ability to play as a key tall either forward or back. He has good endurance, with an outstanding vertical leap. He represented Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and comes from a basketball background.

Stats -NAB AFL Under 18 Championships

Code:
[B]Team[/B] [B]Mt[/B] [B]K[/B] [B]HB[/B] [B]D[/B] [B]M[/B] [B]HO[/B] [B]T[/B] [B]G[/B] 
Vic Metro 1 1.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 5.0 3.0 0.0

Brad Lloyd on Clarke

Selection No.37: Zachary Clarke
Oakleigh Chargers, VIC, Ruckman, September 28 1990, 203cm, 79kg
"We really needed to get another developing ruckman so we really rated Zach. He's pretty skinny at this stage but he's really athletic, so we'll work him pretty hard in the gym. He's a longer term project player for us."

FFC.com.au on Clarke:
Fremantle bolstered its ruck stocks with its fourth overall selection in the third round (No. 37 overall) by drafting 204cm Oakleigh Chargers ruckman Zach Clarke.

Zach represented Vic Metro in this year’s U18 National Championships and is very athletic for his size. His endurance and competitiveness impressed many during the TAC Cup season, as did his preparedness to follow up his ruck work. He is also a very good tackler for his size.

Coach Couch's consolidated profile on Clarke:

Zachary Clarke - (R) 28 September 1990, 203cm 77kg. VicM/Oakleigh Chargers/Surrey Park

"foj1:: 47. Zachary Clarke 203cm 77kg Vic Metro
Very tall, very light beanpole. Clarke is a long way off being competitive in the AFL however the rewards could be significant if he comes on. There is a touch of Robert Warnock about Clarke and clubs are simply much more patient with big blokes. A club like Brisbane who have Charman, Lueuenberger and Mitch Clark is the perfect club for this project."

"HFF 07: ZACHARY CLARKE 203cm 84kg RUCK Oakleigh Chargers
A bean pole of a ruckmen, could be a project type for AFL clubs this year, is a mobile player, does not win alot of hitouts but is competitive enough for a big bloke.
PROS: - Mobile, Competitive, Contested Marking,
CONS: - Tap outs, Marking,
PREDICTION: 40 - 70"

"ant555: Zachary Clarke – 203cm, 84kg – Oakleigh Chargers
Vic Metro’s fourth string ruckman who has had a reasonable year for the Chargers so far. Has split his time with some ruck duties as well as playing at FF. He does not win as many taps as he should for a player of his height but he has done pretty well in the games I have seen him play. His has good skills by foot and by hand and is pretty mobile with good pace for a tall. Has shown he can take a good contested mark but it is also one area of his game that could improve a bit more. He gets to the rights spots but has spilled a couple grabs that he should have taken at various times during games. His goal kicking is pretty good and he has been in Oakleigh’s better players on a number of occasions this year. Not a player I expect to go second or third round but certainly a player worth looking at when the fourth round comes along. Could possibly sneak into the third round but I suspect he will be picked fourth round or later if he goes."

Thoughts from Gilly1972

Clarke has a basketball background and is fairly new to the game but is very athletic, and the prototypical modern ruckman if he comes on. I don't see him being that different to Warnock at the same age in terms of being skinny and is a long-term prospect. Pretty much like for like there.....3-4 years away I would think. He seems to position himself well though and won't need to be taught a lot, but just time on conditioning and strenghtening.

macca69 on Clarke

Zach Clarke

Zach has shown considerable development throughout the year, and I think there’s every chance he’ll continue to develop into a quality AFL ruckman once he gets into an elite environment. Where I think he’s developed most since the start of the year is that he now has confidence in his own ability and now knows he’s good enough to go somewhere with his footy. He's also added 6kgs since the start of the year, which combined with his increased confidence has got him showing more physicality and competitiveness. His athleticism for his size is very impressive too, his endurance base is elite and his speed, vertical leap and agility are all very good too. His ability to find space and link up around the ground is very impressive and he likes to run with the footy, so his game-style is ideally suited to Subiaco. His coach has said, his best games this year have come on the bigger grounds. He’ll need to improve his kicking consistency to be truly damaging in this role, but given how raw he is and his co-ordination levels for his size, his kicking will improve enormously in an AFL environment. He’s also shown he can go forward and take a grab. He’s still learning about where to lead and position himself down there, but he is definitely a lot more accomplished as a forward than he was at the start of the year. He also has a real crack in contested situations, I love the way he follows up his after competing for the hit-out. He’s a good decision maker when he gets the ball in space, and is very good at running at someone, drawing them to him and then dishing off a handball to his team-mate in space that he freed up. His ruckwork is still a bit of a work in progress. He’s very good at getting his hand to the ball and directing it to the right zone against similar rucks to him (ie skinny and athletic), but against the bigger bodied rucks who use their strength more than their athleticism he struggles a bit (although he got a lot better towards the end of the year). Will take a while to develop, but I see a lot of upside in him.

2008 TAC Cup Stats: http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...D=188600336&client=1-3020-27608-67827-8060347

2008 Vic State Screening Results

202.5cm
82.5kg
55.5mm S7 skinfolds
82.8cm arm length
260cm standing reach
22.1cm handspan
61cm standing VJ
81cm running VJ (R)
88cm running VJ (L)
1.19s 5m 1.92s 10m 3.16s 20m
8.67s agility
Level 13 Shuttle 13 (14.0 decimal) beep test

Re: Number TBA - Zachary Clarke [Pick 37 - 2008 National Draft]

Is he the one that punches the ball 30m at centre bounce?
[I hope he is, that looked quite impressive]

How long has he been playing football? I heard it was for only a year or two. DFopes this mean that the upside is enormous, given we picked him up at 37

Yep, just played the 12 months of footy. Was a very good basketballer prior to that.

Huge upside to him.

Bring back the fro!

His hands in close are quite good. Big leap. Good endurance. Good height for a ruckman. Bit of agro on a skinny frame.

Should do well. Top pick at 37. Send a kid like that to Melbourne (just an example of a club with a poor ruck division) and he may not achieve anything.

At least at Fremantle he will have the guidance of an AA ruckman. Its no surprise that Warnock came on faster than expected under the guidance of Sandilands. Would not surprise me in the slightest if this kid made a meteoric rise.

Good Lord...
I can see why they grabbed this kid...he's played the game for 12 months?

Absolutely frightening what he could become...

How was the hanger and the run down the outer wing?

Speed off the mark and a nice kick...He knows how to position and where to hit the ball...

Reminds me of Dean Cox

very impressive :thumbsu: looks like the game comes naturally too him. Who knows how good he could become in an AFL environment. Let's hope we get to keep him :eek:

Huge upside. He has strong hands in the air and his tackling is excellent. He could be every bit as good as Warnock and cost us a lower pick.:thumbsu:

That's a pretty bloody impressive highlights clip! I'm suddenly very excited about this guy.

Robbie who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a pretty bloody impressive highlights clip! I'm suddenly very excited about this guy.

Robbie who?

I thought Clarke was the best ruckman behind the top 2.

The highlights clip shows that he does have a fair amount of skill, you just have to hope that he does not follow down the Warnock and White line.

Very impressive for a guy who has only started playing footy. Seems very agile, quite coordinated and abit of pace too for a big man.

At 83kgs he could be playing AFL by 2010. Living with 211 he could soon put some meat on his bones.

Not sure if it's been posted on BF or not, but just in case here's another Zach highlights clip.

[youtube]CfKpQxGUbb0[/youtube]

Thanks Macca, he looks alright. Quite agile for a ruck and good hands in a contest.

Its his endurance and vertical leap which define him.

Will be interesting to see his development versus someone like Naitanui. The Eagles used a very early pick on a ruckman.

It may add weight or rip apart the theory that early picks are wasted on ruckman.

Zach may end up the better player. He's taller (just), has got a pretty big vertical leap himself (>80cm) and his endurance is in the midfielder territory.

Im liking the clubs pick at 37, not many people have heard of him but all are impressed by reports so far.

im really excited about clarke after seeing the highlights.

He's going to have a good year, I expect him to have a couple of senior games, just hope he doesn't have to play too many too soon.

The Big Zee is exactly what we need isn't he. Would love to see a fair bit of work put into his mobility, not just his strength. I am a big fan of having ruckmen with different qualities that can be used as the game and matchups require.

He looks like he was the best ruckman in the draft IMO, only his inexperience put him behind Vickory and Mckernan. Definitely appears to be the best value at pick 37. Not gangly for his height and has really good coordination.

He looks like he was the best ruckman in the draft IMO, only his inexperience put him behind Vickory and Mckernan. Definitely appears to be the best value at pick 37. Not gangly for his height and has really good coordination.

I guess you are not rating the number 2 raft pick, or not rating him as a ruckman. I was disappointed we did not select McKernan who I think was available at the Ballantyne selection. Clearly a player who can be very useful as a Forward which is a position we need players for in the next 3-5 years. I think our 2nd ruckman needs an additional position they can fill.

I think our 2nd ruckman needs an additional position they can fill.

Agree and by watching the above clip Zach appears to be able to take a good grab in the forward line. Not sure what his accuracy is like but he took a number of contested grabs in that clip in the goal square or forward 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back