Secondary Maths questions, give me your maths questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Nasma

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm currently desperately searching for ways to procrastinate, so help me. If you have any maths questions, ask, and I'll do my best to answer. This means:

- Actual questions, i.e. "What is the integral of sin(x).exp(x)?"

- Explanations, i.e. "Why does the quadratic formula work?", "How can I tell the difference between continuous data and discrete data?"

- Tips, i.e. "What's a good way to stop making this mistake?"

- Anything else you can think of

If you can let me know if my response was helpful, that'd be great too.

Good luck on exams.

Sympathy post :)

Here's a nice spec. maths problem:

Take an arbitrary quadrilateral. Attach a square to each side such that the side-lengths of the squares are equal to the appropriate side-length of the quadrilateral. Pictorially:

p062.gif

Draw lines connecting the centres of opposite squares as shown above. Show that the lines have the same length and are perpendicular.

Im surprised you did learn, cause you were silly enough to think I was serious...

Yeah cause it's easy to tell on a compter screen isn't it? Tool.

Wouldn't surprise me if you were actually serious to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

prove that no 3 postive integer a, b, and c can satisfy the equation a^n+b^n=c^n for any integer value of n greater than 2. :D

still have bad memories of watching a video regarding that last year.

haha same here, i find it amazing how such a seemingly easy problem was so hard to prove. it took this mathematician 7 years to work out a proof :S.

e^(x*i) = cos(x)+isin(x)

e^(pi*i) = cos(pi) + isin(pi) = -1 + i*0 = -1
That's right. Maybe "why" isn't the correct question, as I understand the algebra. I haven't studied mathematics since second year - how does e^(x*i) = cos(x)+isin(x) again?

You can think of it as a notational convenience, or otherwise expand cos(x), isin(x) and e^(x*i) as Taylor Series in the complex plane and see that it holds.
That's it. Euler's identity is an amazing bit of mathematical beauty in any case.

Don't get it.

If you mean that I don't know what I'm talking about, you're only half right. I've studied advanced first year maths and also second year engineering maths at university. I have written a proof on the identity before too, I just couldn't remember the principles behind it.

Thanks mcd.

If you mean that I don't know what I'm talking about, you're only half right.

Not quite mate. Nothing to do with your knowledge of maths.

Just the two words 'mathematical' & 'beauty' look strange in the same sentence from my perspective; far from beauty IMO. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back