FTA-TV My Kitchen Rules

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What are peoples thoughts on Channel 7's new food offering?

It was flogged to death during the tennis, rated about 1.1mill last night and despite a lot of positive media reviews (no doubt after they'd been well fed at Channel 7's expensive launch of the show last week), it copped some knocks today by armchair critics.

There is no doubt the SA pair are the most annoying of the lot, that gay bloke just whinges about everything, and his flatmate well she's got bucketloads of arrogance...I think she's said "we'd do it better" about 100 times already two episodes into the show. Can't wait to see them have their turn cooking and entertaining.

Have they cast the show right? I dont think its a bad mix of people - an older couple, a pair of ditzy Queensland sisters, a couple of gays and hippies.

I don't think they show enough of the food being prepared though, why wouldn't they sort of show you how the food was prepared in case you want to try it at home yourself?

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners and Seahawks
I never watched Masterchef but saw five minutes of it where they seemed to drag out this "score" way too long.........I was fed up with it.

I hope it tanks, purely beause of the number of ads in the tennis and what seems like every single billboard has the show promoting it.

Watched most of the ep today. Pretty boring, been done, state vs state no one really cares. Hosting a dinner party and being graded by your competition? Stupid idea. Did I mention it was boring? Who wants to watch fake dinner parties?

Invigoration

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 19, 2005
Balls deep
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Jordy Russell's kickouts
My god that SA woman is a pretentious bitch, needs a firm punch in the ovaries to remind her of her limits.

The Dawes

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2008
Punxutawney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Notts County FC,
Main problem I have with this show is that the bits the contestants do 'to camera' appear rehearsed and lacking in anything remotely spontaneous or natural.

Pretty off-putting for mine when so much of it sounds scripted.

Also agree with the earlier poster who mentioned the constant attempts at building suspense through dragging out the delivery of the judge's scores. It is a staple of these reality-cooking shows, but doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Am watching it but most of the people are unlikeable with the team from my home state easily the most unlikeable. They are setting themselves up for a big fall the way they bag everything and I'm sure their "themed" dinner party is going to be cringeworthy.

The WA couple, particularly the bloke also seems to bag pretty much everything. Big Rossy is already annoying me with that terrible NSW accent ala Peter Wilkinson and that "c'mon fellas, you can doo it" s**t, I actually prefer the tearing shreads off approach instead of the "Gee I feel for the guys" crappola.

The Vic dudes, at first I thought they were gay, then I thought not, then I thought I wasn't so sure. As "Flatmates" I'm pretty sure it wasn't their flat they were cooking in last night. Also, one of them reminds me of Josh Fraser which is a little off putting.

The Qld birds seem the most likeable.

Main problem I have with this show is that the bits the contestants do 'to camera' appear rehearsed and lacking in anything remotely spontaneous or natural.

Yeah I actually wrote & deleted an extra paragraph about this because I didn't want to harp on. They have definitely been told to talk & act in a specific way bouncing dialogue and fake energy off each other not entirely dissimilar to Curb Your Enthusiasm style communication. It was a little awkward when the judges were doing it :rolleyes: Looked like a married couple.

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Pretty off-putting for mine when so much of it sounds scripted..
Definately. And the boys last night were particularly poor at making it look 'real'. I'm sure they were reading an autocue!

That older guy Mossy reminds me of vet Harry Cooper the way he speaks!

And like someone said, I'm not too sure about the houses being used either. Although next week the QLD preview looked like a pretty crappy kitchen so perhaps their house will be real.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
I hope it tanks, purely beause of the number of ads in the tennis and what seems like every single billboard has the show promoting it.

I hope it tanks so we don't get 15 bloody more cooking shows. Already pissed off enough with this one and that's just putting up with the ads for it.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watched most of the ep today. Pretty boring, been done, state vs state no one really cares. Hosting a dinner party and being graded by your competition? Stupid idea. Did I mention it was boring? Who wants to watch fake dinner parties?
Come Dine with Me - UK and now Aus. version are amusing, but the key point with those are no involvement by FTA TV stations wrecking a concept to make them appealing to enough average idiots. And definitely no state by state stuff needed, it's not sport, no one gives a toss if the winner is from their state or not.

ExTasDeeMan

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
NYC
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Demons
Come dine with me is an excellent show - very low fi. No need for Professional CHefs, just a couple of bitter english slappers and a beaten down guy.

-CG-

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Come Dine With Me Aus >>> My Kitchen Rules

:thumbsu:

As others have said MKR seems set up half the time. I definitely prefer the laid back and humorous CDWM. The people are good and different, it only goes for half an hour and there is still plenty of focus on the cooking.

Alex99

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
My god that SA woman is a pretentious bitch, needs a firm punch in the ovaries to remind her of her limits.

Agree with this and he isn’t much better. Normally a strong advocate for all things SA but she deserves all the crap she gets.

And agree with the CDWM over MKR.

I would vote for the 2 Victorians boys or the 2 Queensland chicks as the most likable.

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memo 7: STOP REPLAYING IT! It has been replayed endlessly on 7 and 72 for the past week. It is not going to help improve its ratings.

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Considering all the effort and promotion that went into this turkey Seven are desperate for it to be a hit.

I drive an hour two and from work everyday - I reckon I would go past at least 100 billboards and bus shelter ads and I am not kidding, 80% of them would be for that show.

I hope it tanks.........

bigtuna

Senior List
Dec 6, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The better half forced me to watch this tonight.:( There seems to be a fundamental flaw in the show. Why are the other contestants awarding points to their competitiomn. If the VIC boys gave the girls today a 1 instead of a 5 they would be safe for next round. Dumb show IMHO.

THRILLHO

Most Cromulent Poster
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I watched bits of it, wasnt too bad, but it couldnt have less to do with cooking. It's basically just individual interviews with the camera from the judges, the competitors cooking the meal and the other competitors acting as guests. Occasionally they show someone in the kitchen stirring something.

The judges dont really work either. Manu would work well as part of a threesome, but as part of a twosome, there's just too much work for him to do, which he isnt able to do. Same argument for Pete Evans too, I guess. But, obviously, Seven want a point of difference from Masterchef.

Why are the other contestants awarding points to their competitiomn. If the VIC boys gave the girls today a 1 instead of a 5 they would be safe for next round.

I couldnt really work out why they were scoring it either.

I am kinda curious to see what the South Australians dish up, because they have been ruthless so far.

-CG-

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The better half forced me to watch this tonight.:( There seems to be a fundamental flaw in the show. Why are the other contestants awarding points to their competitiomn. If the VIC boys gave the girls today a 1 instead of a 5 they would be safe for next round. Dumb show IMHO.

They shouldn't reveal the scores to the teams until they've all had a go. Simple really!

So far no one has delivered a quality main meal. I'm hoping SA can come up with the goods :thumbsu:

Does anyone know what happens after the first elimination? Like what challenges do they move onto next?

Alex99

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seriously, that bloke was pathetic.

Yep, I was LOL after he had his melt down? Especially after he was acting so cocky about them being so good.

I’m also hoping like hell the SA couple (both are dicks) have an epic fail moment and screw everything up. Both of them are arrogant ****s – dislike her the most but he is also a dick.

Back