Travel Is England considered part of Europe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well as far as I know it's not a part of Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica or South America.

Given the information you have provided and my limited geographical knowledge, I think it's safe to conclude that it is a part of North America.

Depends in what context. Geographically-speaking yes - but then by the same definition, New Guinea is part of the Australian continent. Many people from the British Isles do not consider themselves 'European', which in those countries usually refers to continental Europeans. They also refer to crossing the channel as "going to the Continent".

Interestingly, a similar (less well-known) attitude exists in Scandinavia. I was told off by a Swede for referring to Swedes as Europeans once.

My ex team leader at work was originally from Manchester. She didn't consider England to be part of Europe.

geographically and politically, yes. culturally, not really.

Of course it is, it's just the whole idea of the British Empire (or pints at the pub) that gets into Poms' heads to make them think that the U.K. is some sort of separate continent. :rolleyes:

I do agree about the culture comment... PM Cameron mentioned the whole "Cool Britannia" theme that the nation has been riding in recent decades (singers (Winehouse, Robbie Williams), rock groups (Beatles, Spicegirls), movies, celebrities (Jordan), EPL (Beckham)) making themselves out to be a country that is second to the U.S. in terms of pop culture exposure... and Cameron wanting to go back to stressing more historical contributions the country has made to make them be more "European". I think the "Cool Britannia" stuff is what makes some people think that the U.K. doesn't "belong" with main land Europe, yet Britain has tons of history/landmarks and have made numerous contributions to all sorts of disciplines to match what the other European countries have to offer too.

You'll notice the next time you step inside a travel agent (if that even happens now), the European magazines will be titled "Britain and Europe".

As for how we refer to the continent of Australia... I prefer to use Oceania as it includes New Zealand, Polynesia and everything else that doesn't fit into Asia.

THE FINAL AUTHORITY ON THE MATTER ***************

I just opened up my game of Risk and took a peek. The Englanders are blue along with the rest of Europe.

It's Europe.

THE FINAL AUTHORITY ON THE MATTER HAS SPOKEN******

Before any authority is given on the subject let us ask what is the definition of a continent?

*"Continents are understood to be large, continuous, discrete masses of land, ideally separated by expanses of water"

Going by the above definition we could say that Britian isn't part of any continent, likewise New Zealand, Madagascar & thousands of other countries.
However, for some reason some countries don't like missing out and we therefore classify regions as continents and form newly named continents like Oceania.

If anyone is interested I recommend reading up on the old continents Gondwana & Laurasia. If you look at a map today you can see that South America and Africa fit together like a perfect jig-saw piece, its amazing how far apart they've separated

*Lewis, Martin W.; Kären E. Wigen (1997). The Myth of Continents: a Critique of Metageography. Berkeley: University of California Press. pp. 21. ISBN 0-520-20742-4, ISBN 0-520-20743-2.

in terms of knowing that it is a country rather than the centre of the universe, england is far better than the states

the americans dont even know they speak english as their primary language. the english have to compromise the fact they are right next to all these places that dont speak english.

australia seems to have taken the american attitude as well, but with the demise of american influence- hopefully knowledge that english is not the universal language will strengthen

spasiba

in terms of knowing that it is a country rather than the centre of the universe, england is far better than the states

the americans dont even know they speak english as their primary language. the english have to compromise the fact they are right next to all these places that dont speak english.

australia seems to have taken the american attitude as well, but with the demise of american influence- hopefully knowledge that english is not the universal language will strengthen

spasiba

That's one thing I find interesting. Why did English become the 'international language'. Is it purely because of the states. I know French is also considered an international language but at the end of the day I'd still say English is more prominent. Spanish got dudded as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

before the Americans, who was the dominant power? the British Empire. that's your answer.

French was indeed the language of diplomacy for a long, long time though.

That's one thing I find interesting. Why did English become the 'international language'. Is it purely because of the states. I know French is also considered an international language but at the end of the day I'd still say English is more prominent. Spanish got dudded as well.

This is only from the Wikipedia page, but still.

By 1922, the British Empire held sway over a population of about 458 million people, one-quarter of the world's population at the time,[1] and covered more than 13,000,000 square miles (33,670,000 km2): approximately a quarter of the Earth's total land area

This is only from the Wikipedia page, but still.

By 1922, the British Empire held sway over a population of about 458 million people, one-quarter of the world's population at the time,[1] and covered more than 13,000,000 square miles (33,670,000 km2): approximately a quarter of the Earth's total land area

in terms of quantity theres a billion people who speak chinese

also if the americans venture a little bit southwards they dont speak english anymore

in terms of quantity theres a billion people who speak chinese

also if the americans venture a little bit southwards they dont speak english anymore

One 6th of the worlds population is Chinese, and they're all located in the one country, which makes up about 7% of the worlds land.

Not 1/4 spread over 5 continents.

Even now 5 of the 13 biggest economies either speak english or have it as an official language.

One 6th of the worlds population is Chinese, and they're all located in the one country

not quite ... the Chinese diaspora is damn huge. there'd be a good half a million of them around the world once you include Taiwan and Hong Kong, and don't forget they make up a significant minority in SE Asia and have large numbers in the US, here and in parts of Europe. Chinese migration has been going on for a long time.

Of course it is

This. WTF? Is Turkey considered part of Europe is the question. ;)

Spanish would be top 5. Mandarin, English, Spanish, Arabic and Hindi. French would be around the top 20.

Spanish would be top 5. Mandarin, English, Spanish, Arabic and Hindi. French would be around the top 20.

I'd replace Hindi with Russian. Most Indians don't even speak Hindi, let alone anywhere else.

FWIW i think english has become the 'lingua franca' due to computers and the internet.

well so do Israeli clubs. ;)

Spanish is actually the most spoken language in the world (as of 2006 it was anyway).

English is the most recognised, but not necessarily the most spoken

Remove this Banner Ad

Back