Former Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess no-one really needs confirmation of the draft tampering, but anyways:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-85000-man-20110405-1d31w.html

The timing of Ball's frontloaded deal is tantamount to an informal ''allowance'' for the Magpies, who had planned to pay Ball a little more than a million dollars over three years when he placed a massive price on his head before the 2009 national draft in a bid to dissuade clubs besides Collingwood from picking him. By nominating terms of $950,000 over two years, Ball frightened off clubs that did not want to pay him at that exorbitant level. But it is also apparent he was willing to play for Collingwood on not much more than the minimum in his third year.

The three-year total averages out at $340,000-$350,000 - virtually the same as the three-year contract St Kilda offered him before he walked out on the club after the 2009 grand final.

Melbourne was one club that was willing to pay Ball at high levels - the Demons would have paid $1.6 million over four years

Grade A a-hole.

Check the separate thread (now locked but you can read some comments).

I notice Michael Rix was BOG last week for Subi (but wasn't able to manage many AFL games either).

23 Apr 2011
Dromana
Goal Kickers: D. Minchington 4, R. Hawkins 3, S. Gaertner 2, P. McLean Wilson 2, T. Banks , P. Minchington
Best Players: D. Day, R. Johnston, L. Hogan, S. Gaertner, D. Minchington, S. Clarke

30 Apr 2011
Dromana
Goal Kickers: P. Minchington 3, S. Gaertner 2, R. Slocombe 2, J. Savage , J. Wood , R. Johnston , B. McMurray , R. Hawkins
Best Players: T. Wright, S. Gaertner, R. Slocombe, P. Minchington, M. Gillis , D. Day

Just came across a bloke who played 16 reserves games in the SANFL last year (4 times in the best) and 6 reserves games this year (nil in the best).

Eljay Connors.

On reflection, that 2007 draft crop was very ordinary - and the Saints did very well with McEvoy, Schneider, Dempster and Steven.

Red Hill vs. Dromana
16th May

Red Hill: 9.5.59
Defeated by
Dromana: 10.9.69

Red Hill
Goal Kickers: J. Sweeney 3, R. Jones 2, M. Bateman , B. Maguinness , J. Mold , P. Dal Lago
Best Players: J. Sweeney, H. Larwill, J. Mitchell, K. Hopgood, J. Mold, P. Dal Lago

Dromana
Goal Kickers: S. Gaertner 5, R. Hawkins 2, D. Minchington , R. Johnston , B. McMurray
Best Players: L. HOGAN, S. Gaertner, A. Burns, A. Hunter, B. McMurray, T. Wheeler

Good to see a few of our old boys (Justin Sweeney and Steve Gaertner) playing well for their respective clubs.

Both would probably be pretty handy in the forward line at present, Garts as the 3rd tall and Sweeney helping out Milney.

Only kicked 3 goals last week :(

1281839_1_L.jpg

Steve Gaertner would have been elevated to the seniors by now if he was playing for the saints instead of giving up and playing for dromana

Harsh way to put it.

He's obviously enjoying being at less of a professional level.

He wasn't enjoying his footy the same way at the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://moorabbin-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/ex-saint-leigh-fisher-tipped-to-be-afl-umpire/

Former St Kilda player Leigh Fisher makes his debut in the Southern Football League on Saturday, but not as a player - as a field umpire.

Coming off a stint in the VAFA, Fisher, 27, will have charge of the Division 2 match between Murrumbeena and Oakleigh District at the Beena Arena.

Gieschen said yesterday that the 55-game Saint was developing well and was destined to umpire in the AFL. “He’s got fantastic potential,’’ he said.
“He’s very advanced and one of the reasons is that he really wanted to go down this player-to-umpire pathway.

“We believe he’ll come through the system a lot quicker than what people think."

“I really believe both the boys (Bannister and Fisher) will be umpiring in the AFL in the very near future,’’ Gieschen said.

Gaertner kicked another 5 on the weekend. Actually headed down to watch it and he put on a good display. He seems to be enjoying his footy again which is good. Reckon theres a outside chance he might want to come back next season.

He has kicked 22 goals in his 8 games so far at ave of 2.75

Gaertner kicked another 5 on the weekend. Actually headed down to watch it and he put on a good display. He seems to be enjoying his footy again which is good. Reckon theres a outside chance he might want to come back next season.

Have we still got him on the list? ( Gives us first dibs if he wants to ).

Whats with all the goals? Is he playing as a forward? Why were we playing him as a backman ( again ).

Shattering for Lukey Miles.

Maybe our club knew something was up. Just picked that he'd probably do his ACL this year...

As for Gaertner. He's good enough to dominate at a lower level. I don't think it would really matter what position he was playing. He'd still be amongst the goals every week.

Miles was still the biggest shock last year, couldnt believe they delisted him, especially after he played late in season and was impressive and looked like exactly what we needed.

Steve Gaertner

18 June
Goal Kickers: J. Savage 4, J. Williams 4, T. Banks 3, R. Johnston , P. McLean Wilson , P. Minchington , S. Gaertner , R. Hawkins , R. Slocombe

Sat 25/Jun
Goal Kickers: S. Gaertner 4, T. Wheeler , P. Minchington , R. Slocombe , J. Savage , T. Banks , J. Wood , R. Hawkins
Best Players: R. Johnston, L. O''Neill, J. Savage, S. Clarke, R. Slocombe, S. Gaertner

Makes it 27 goals for the year from his 10 matches.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp.../9979268/rix-a-hit-as-lions-charge-up-ladder/

Subiaco ruckman Michael Rix is on track for one of the most prolific hit-out efforts in the WAFL in recent times.

Rix has averaged just short of 40 ruck knocks a game in 2011, producing 55 when the Lions beat Peel by 44 points at Bendigo Bank Stadium last Saturday.

That followed other big hauls this season, including a three-week run starting in round five of 52 against Claremont, 47 against East Perth and 49 against South Fremantle.

While Tigers ruckman Mitch Andrews eclipsed him for a single match with 60 in round 10 against South Fremantle, Rix has amassed 554 hit-outs in 14 matches this year at an astonishing average of 39.57 compared with Andrews' 34.2.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/08/06/251911_ntsport.html

Territory Lion Xavier Clarke's AFL career is on a knife edge.

Clarke, 27, tore a tendon in his left foot last week, an injury that requires season-ending surgery.

"I won't play again this season, so who knows where I'm at with my career," Clarke told the NT News last night.

"I'll sit down with the club at the end of the season for a bit of a chat on where I'm at."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back