News Record Melbourne sponsorship from a Bulldogs supporter!

UnCani

Team Captain
Jan 9, 2006
Earth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Seriously. We cant manage our own players pre seasons and medical checkups.

Who on earth is capable of closing a multi million dollar deal at the Bulldogs?

Rose is gone. Smorgo has never done anything himself. Nice passionate guy and all but he was born into it.

Our off field leadership is non-existent. Until this is fixed …

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Rose is gone. Smorgo has never done anything himself. Nice passionate guy and all but he was born into it.

Smorgo has never done anything himself. Nice passionate guy and all but he was born into it.

What exactly do you mean by that?

But didn't the dogs re-sign with Mission a few weeks back?
So, pointless by the fellow to signed up to Melbourne to try and chase the Dogs.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Dimma please mate, give it up. I mean BF must be a last resort for your uniformed rants surely?

If you want to see how far back we have fallen, take a look at he coach press conferences, look at the backdrop of all their sponsors, the average club has four - we have two.

I am sick of hearing we don't have money for personnel, so where has the money gone that they would have got from playing finals the last five years, or the growth in membership? Anyone else concerned by the fact that our financial governance is so poor that an employee can cipher out $500,000 without anyone noticing.

Time for a refresh of large proportions.

If you want to see how far back we have fallen, take a look at he coach press conferences, look at the backdrop of all their sponsors, the average club has four - we have two.

I am sick of hearing we don't have money for personnel, so where has the money gone that they would have got from playing finals the last five years, or the growth in membership? Anyone else concerned by the fact that our financial governance is so poor that an employee can cipher out $500,000 without anyone noticing.

Time for a refresh of large proportions.

I thought there was a limit on the advertisement slots for sponsors? Since Mission is paying a relatively large amount for a major sponsor they get more advertisement slots like you see on the backboards and stuff.

Pretty sure Kapersky + that other thing doesnt come close to Mission especially after the new upgraded deal. I am also confident there is a limit on major sponsors, or else Collingwood will have every sponsor under the sun.

I thought there was a limit on the advertisement slots for sponsors? Since Mission is paying a relatively large amount for a major sponsor they get more advertisement slots like you see on the backboards and stuff.

Pretty sure Kapersky + that other thing doesnt come close to Mission especially after the new upgraded deal. I am also confident there is a limit on major sponsors, or else Collingwood will have every sponsor under the sun.

Thanks 100 - that puts a more positive spin on things:):thumbsu:

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
Reports had our new deal for 2012-2014 at $6.3mil for three years - that's front and back of the jumper, plus naming rights to the learning centre.

According to the Footy Show, this Melbourne deal is just for the back of their jumper. The front would be worth another million p.a., at the very least.

I thought there was a limit on the advertisement slots for sponsors? ... I am also confident there is a limit on major sponsors, or else Collingwood will have every sponsor under the sun.
Where are you getting this from to be confident?

There's no limit on a number of sponsors - as long as each sponsor is happy with their split of the club's marketing, a club can sign as many as they want.
...or else Collingwood will have every sponsor under the sun.
Collingwood has pretty much signed every sponsor under the sun.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/sponsors/tabid/8235/default.aspx

my bad on the limit then but some of those Collingwood sponsors will have to forgo slots and placements just to associate with Collingwood if I am correct?, there is only so much learning centers, back of jumper, front of jumpers deals etc you can put stuff on?

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
my bad on the limit then but some of those Collingwood sponsors will have to forgo slots and placements just to associate with Collingwood if I am correct?, there is only so much learning centers, back of jumper, front of jumpers deals etc you can put stuff on?
That's what I said, as long as they're happy to accept what they're offered (Mick's lapel, the coaches box signage, website promotion), there's no limit.

There's nothing to say that someone spending a fortune on getting their name on the players' jock straps is getting good value for their advertising dollar, but fools and their money and all that.

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
Dimma please mate, give it up. I mean BF must be a last resort for your uniformed rants surely?
... because Dimma must be the only member out there that has reservations about the president's performance.

And why is every question of Smorgon "uninformed"?

In the last number of years, another "smaller" club (similar number of supporters), Melbourne, have truly shown us up in terms of management. They've had a worse draw and TV fixtures, they've languished at the bottom of their cycle while we've finished top six in 4 out of the last 6 seasons, and yet over this period they've wiped their debt while our liabilities have skyrocketed to over $13mil.

If the AFL turned around tomorrow and said "all discretionary funding is gone, no more annual assistance, no more going guarantor to your loans", our club would be dead or merged within a week. I'm sorry, but the reality is there's going to be some people that don't think "good" management takes a club to that point. And Dimma isn't the only one of them.

Haha, it is also going around that EnergyWatch cannot foot the $2m per year as agreed upon, the deal did sound too good to be true for a club like Melbourne at the time.

We are so lucky from 2012-2014 mission is paying us $6.3m that not only trumps the s**t out of Energy Watch but we do not have to deal with this racist CEO bs plus our sponsor actually pays up.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You guys wisely avoiding EnergyWatch

Interesting comments from Smorgon in the Sunday Hun about how Polis approached you guys about EnergyWatch sponsorship and you did some fairly basic due dilligence and then said "thanks but no thanks".

Does anyone know any more on this?

Re: You guys wisely avoiding EnergyWatch

Interesting comments from Smorgon in the Sunday Hun about how Polis approached you guys about EnergyWatch sponsorship and you did some fairly basic due dilligence and then said "thanks but no thanks".

Does anyone know any more on this?
Can you provide a link to the HS story? Glad we dodged that bullet :eek:

I've been away, and missed this whole EnergyWatch thing. What actually happened with it?
There's a thread already. You can merge if you want, it's on page 2 atm.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am astounded that the Dees didn't even do basic due dilligence.

From what was in the paper, Smorgon smelt a rat about the bloke from day one and made a few enquiries before saying thanks but no thanks.

You guys, like us, can't afford to pass on dollars too often so for Smorgon to do that is telling.

Good work.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I doubt Energywatch would have been offering us the same deal they gave to Melbourne, given we had already signed up Mission as our primary sponsor whose brand is displayed basically everywhere around the club. I'm guessing that the Energywatch offer to us would have been a lot less substantial, as they wouldn't have had the chance to put their logo on our jumpers.

Its all just speculation, but I wonder what the club would have done, say if Mission hadn't signed on, we were desperate and Energywatch had $2mil per year on the table. That's a lot of money to say no to for a club like ours, and Melbourne. Hindsight is great but we won't ever know whether the Demons took a calculated risk that didn't pay off, or just didn't look far enough into it.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder if Polis has a bigfooty account. He did have the Jurrah photoshop up on his facebook page which was taken from Bay13.

Apparently he's a dogs supporter.

I wonder if Polis has a bigfooty account. He did have the Jurrah photoshop up on his facebook page which was taken from Bay13.

Apparently he's a dogs supporter.

Considering he comes from around Seaford way, I can't see why he would be a dogs supporter. Considering some of the remarks he made, I couldn't see him barracking for our club.

Met him once when he was doing the book circuit about the book he wrote. Was a skinny stressed out kid, can't believe he has made such a mess of things.

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Considering he comes from around Seaford way, I can't see why he would be a dogs supporter. Considering some of the remarks he made, I couldn't see him barracking for our club.

Met him once when he was doing the book circuit about the book he wrote. Was a skinny stressed out kid, can't believe he has made such a mess of things.

I grew up in the eastern suburbs and now live near Seaford. Should I barrack for StKilda? :D

Back