Number: - 21
Height: 196cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 03-03-1992
Debut: -​

melbournefc.com.au profile

Re: Lucas Cook

melbournefc.om.au - No. 12 a suprise for Cook, not for some

WHEN Lucas Cook was selected at No.12 in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft, he was genuinely surprised.

He was under the impression he would be a second round selection - not taken with Melbourne’s first pick.

Little did Cook know that at least two other AFL clubs were set to pounce on him with their respective selections in the teens. It didn’t eventuate, as the 2010 under-18 All-Australian key forward became a Demon.

"I spoke to my manager beforehand and he said he wasn’t really sure - maybe 30-plus, so I had no idea," Cook told melbournefc.com.au.

LucasCookL.jpg

melbournefc.com.au - Cook to don Cordner's famous No.21

MELBOURNE’S first pick in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft, Lucas Cook, will wear the No.21 guernsey, worn with distinction by 1946 Brownlow Medallist and club great Don Cordner.

The No.21 jumper was also worn by Steven Febey, who played 258 matches from 1988-2001 - the fifth most in Melbourne’s history.

Cook, a key forward, said he was honoured to accept No.21.

“All I can do is give 100 per cent and try to uphold the values that Don did, so I’ll do my best,” he said.

Chief executive Cameron Schwab revealed why Cook received No.21.
LucasCook21L.jpg

2011 Player review:
Todd Viney’s season assessment
Lucas was our first round draft pick in 2010 (No.12 overall) and played as a tall forward. He found it hard to get a lot of exposure in the VFL, because of several talls in the forward line, including Brendan Fevola. But he really developed his game and showed some elite work rate. He is a good decision-maker and with another full pre-season, I’m sure he’ll get an opportunity to play next year.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/124690/default.aspx

Bah! Beaten to it! :)

Reading the round-by-round summaries, it's clear Casey really struggled to fit him in around Fev, Bate, Newton and whoever else was playing down there that week, be it Petterd or Maric or what not. After that he just struggled to get much of it and didn't seem to read the play too well. Sounds a couple of years off earning a game, to be honest.

Nah, I've seen him play a few times.

He reads the play very well, he was really hampered by the Fevola centric forwardline along with Bate, Dunn and Newton spending a lot of time there.

In fact he probably would have done better playin 10 or so games for the seniors this year.

He'll come on next year.

Nah, I've seen him play a few times.

He reads the play very well, he was really hampered by the Fevola centric forwardline along with Bate, Dunn and Newton spending a lot of time there.

In fact he probably would have done better playin 10 or so games for the seniors this year.

He'll come on next year.
I bow to your superior knowledge TPM.

It's just from the summaries Cooks' possessions, marks and goals seem to tail off pretty badly. But then I guess Casey only really used Fev as a spearhead FF at the same time Cook struggled. From memory Fev was playing more of a decoy role earlier in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bow to your superior knowledge TPM.

It's just from the summaries Cooks' possessions, marks and goals seem to tail off pretty badly. But then I guess Casey only really used Fev as a spearhead FF at the same time Cook struggled. From memory Fev was playing more of a decoy role earlier in the year.

Cheers :cool:.

But seriously he did taper off, however this was when Fevola kicked something like 50 goals over 7-8 games.

He also was struggling with a hip complaint late in the season, which was why he was dropped to the 2's and eventually rested from Casey altogether.

Have seen this kid play, allbeit in one of his better games, the North Ballarat game, and he was a good presence imo.

Will only get bigger and better, the thing that you dont just get bigger at is vision, kicking and one grab marking.

Cook displayed all of these things on the day i saw him play live

Feel sorry for Cook in a sense.

Clark, Jurrah, Watts and Howe seem to be established as our deep forwards.

Frawley, Garland, Rivers, McDonald down back.

Davis may or may not make it, Manson may also be our draft choice at 36.

Without Fev, Cook will get a go at Casey whose FB has been poached too I believe. I reckon Cook's best chance is to do a reverse-Neita and have a go at CHB. If we stick him at FF, one of Howe or Watts needs to play that HFF to Wing role that Buddy plays now-a-days and Richo played a few years ago. Run, mark, handball, shepherd kind of thing.

I think it'll be good for Lucas in the end, Neeld demands hard work and with hard work Cook will succeed.

I think he'll find himself a senior spot. He was always going to spend most of his first 2 years at Casey.

It's starting to shape up that he may be used as a bit of a swing man between back and forward I'm thinking.

Lucas Cook 2012 Preview:

Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Jack Watts, Cale Morton, Jack Grimes, James Frawley, Nathan Jones, Colin Sylvia, Brock McLean. All first round draft picks. All household names in Demon families. All have copped criticism. All have been, at some point, called the next big thing.

Not so Lucas Cook. No to many know who he is, and not too many seem to care. Just another in a long line of Neitz/Schwartz replacements who aren't up to the task, joining well known and unknown names such as Luke Molan, Brad Miller, Nick Smith, Ben Holland, Dale Carson, Michael Newton, Trent Zomer, Jack Watts, Rhys Healey and Jack Fitzpatrick. None have taken up the mantle of the "Gorilla Forward" the Demons have lusted after for so long. Some weren't big enough, some weren't good enough, some were overhyped, some are oo young, some found their calling elsewhere, some rufused to walk on their hindlegs and threw their poo around too much.

Cook looks too light, has played too few electrifying games, has never kicked the big bag, has never set the world alight. But there is still hope. Hope that he might overcome the weight of history, the lack of weight that fills his guernsey, the gormless face, the rest of Melbourne's burgeoning Key-Postion Department and the very best defenders the VFL can throw at him to make his senior debut this season. And there is hope, however slight, that he might not **** it up so totally he becomes the retrospective reason Melbourne let Barry Prendergast go to Carlton for two pumpernickles and Snickers wrapper.

There is hope because he has a lot of attributes that young big men have before they metamorphasize into AFL-grade Key Forwards: supple hands, a powerful yet versitle kick, great eyes, the endurance to go all day long and an ability to read the action and be where he needs to be. But young big men take time and patience as the alchemy unfolds and they bloom into... wow... this paragraph is starting to sound awfully homorerotic. Lets just move on.

Cook fell away at the end of last season, struggling to cope with a Fev-centric Casey forwardline and niggling injuries. An interrupted preseason hasn't done him any favours either and he arrives at the start of 2012 well back in the queue to fill the Demon's fowardline. Best case scenario for Cook is that he thrives in the VFL and by the halfway stage is demanding to get picked in the senior team. Worst case scenario is something between a career ending injury or another year of anonymous showings in the VFL, before being demoted to the reserves and still not showing anything. Within that fairly wide brief, a year of solid improvement showing his quality should be his aim and enough to give him a consolation game or two towards the end of the season should we be out of finals contention. A good year should see him earn 4-5 games and a handful of AFL goals, but the really crucial years of Cook's career will be 2013-15. If he can't force his way into the senior team by then he will need to invest in a copy of the Juice Newton authored "Dummies Guide for Blackmailing AFL List Managers"

What makes this a particularly delicate time for Cook is that it's the last year of his contract. He ought to get another one, even without showing much improvement, but space on the senior list will be tight with the best draft of recent years coming up. He will want to display the qualities that secured him a CHF position in the Under-18 All-Australian hyphen-fest to make sure he stays a Dee for a long time to come.

In summary, we all want Lucas to succeed, and we're happy to give him a year or three to show us he can. But it's by no means certain he will fulfil his potential and it's unrealistic to believe he will be pushing Mitch Clark out of the team by the end of the year to claim full-forward as his own.

I am a big lucas Cook fan, he is a year younger than Watts a believe and has most of the same skill set, (minus Watts speed) imo. Im talking great hands, vision and kicking ability.

Needs to get bigger obviously which is coming, but you cant put on 10kgs of solid muscle in an off season easily.

in 2 years time i honestly think that Cook will be a household name at the MFC.

All you have to be these days to pick up at a club is tall and skinny Logs, unfortunately for Lucas he must've pulled a biddy that wasn't an absolute rake... and let her on top!!

Our boy Lucas has bounced back well from his sore groin to slot 5 majors from 6 shots and 50% gametime in the Victorian Development League (which in simpler times was just called the VFL reserves.)

After a frustrating start to the season it's good to see he's at least deserving of a better run than the Casey 2's. A few more runs to get him shipshape and match hardened and he will begin his inevitable rise to Round 22 senior selection.

Recent history has shown that tall forwards need a few games in the seniors before there third year. Hope Lucas gets that chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back