Who's got you excited for 2012?

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Which player are you expecting something BIG from in 2012?

For me it's Chris Yarran. I've been telling my mates since Grand Final day that this kid's gonna be the best player in the league in a couple of years time. Has unrivalled pace and use of the ball. A better tank and a bit of hardness and he'll be unstoppable.

I'm expecting him to be the best indigenous player in 2012. Is a more explosive Rioli. Give him more time in the middle.

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Hampson. Looking back at the marks he took last year, there was a stark contrast between his efforts back then and in the first half of the year. Hammer was leaping buildings in a single bound last year. Shame he was injured against Sydney after clicking and taking that hanger against Brisbane. May have a breakout year like Walker if he has a pull pre-season and stays on the park.

637360-brendan-goddard.jpg

GODDARD.

Seriously though, there's a heap. Yazz possibly moving a little into the midfield, Hendo after another preseason in the gym, Kreuz after a full preseason, Gibbs on the half forward line for hopefully a full season, AC proving plenty wrong, Lucas trying to break into the team on a permanent basis, and the 2nd, hopefully uninterrupted, seasons of McCarthy, Mitchell and McInnes.

And that's just the beginning.

Seriously can't wait. Bring on 2012.

Dec 17, 2007
Amersham
AFL Club
Carlton
1) Yazzle and Henderson progressing to another level.
2) Lucas showing us what he has got!
3) Gibbs showing mongrel and ripping a game apart
4) Bower in "return of the emu"

And my pipe dream, win the lottery type of excitement but don't believe it will ever happen...
***) Hampson winning games at full forward.

PS
TheGeneral's 'this one time at bandcamp' doesnt count!

Luke Mitchell.

Enough said.

Let the hype build!

yep Mitchell..he's a beast

Also, Gibbs, I reckon we'll see a Murphy type improvement, will take his game to a whole new level.

Yarran, and Henderson too

Can't it;s all upside

Go Blues

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
For mine if I had to pick just one it would be Tuohy. I think his development so far has been outstanding and the prospective drive of he and Yarran out of the backline is salivating.

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
In the week after the WC loss a work colleague who barracks for Arsendon actually asked me where our improvement was going to come from. After assuring me he was serious I asked him what he'd been smoking. I think I'll just direct him to this thread.

Yazz for mine. I wholeheartedly believe we have a player the ilk of Andrew McLeod on our hands, and I rate McLeod better than Buckley. Imagine Chris not just flashing in and out of a game, but running the show from start to finish. Has a level to go to that almost all other players simply can't reach. Geezuz, I've just given myself a stiffy...

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
Curnow & Tuohy. Curnow because he started so well before injury cut his year short (and I believe he'll take it up another notch), and Tuohy because of the Glimpses of natural ability he's shown and with those thighs has the potential to kick the skin of the ball.

You lot are kidding me, aren't you?

Mitchell was out for most of the season injured, so has hardly played an introduction year. He'll be lucky to make his debut in 2012. It's not fair to expect him to slot in at full forward.

MurphyBettsGibbs

Debutant
May 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Players that we can't expect any more from: Judd, Murphy, Scotland, Walker, Betts, Jamison, Duigan, Simpson, Robinson, Warnock, Waite, Ellard, Armfield, Joseph.

Players that may go backwards: Carrazzo, Thornton, O'hAilpin, McLean, White.

Players that could easily go forward: Tuohy, Curnow, Gibbs, Lucas, Yarran, Henderson, Garlett, Laidler, Davies, Mitchell, Hampson, Kreuzer, Watson, McCarthy, Mcinnes, Kerr, Russell, Bower, Collins.

All subjective of course, but it is clear that we missed the best of many players this year.

I agree, I see a lot of upside to our list. However I also believe the guys you mentioned that we can't expect to improve can improve significantly.

Although Robbo has been fantastic, even he admits his disposal is constantly improving and will in time. Seems to have a similar kicking style to Aka, if he can hit targets like he could he will be elite. Same goes for Army and Joey in terms of disposal. Ellard will continue to improve with more games and hopefully we'll see more games where bobs up with 2+ goals. We got very little impact from Waite for a large chunk of the season (missed him terribly in the business end of the season).

Thornton was arguably in his career best form in the forward line and you would expect he'll play the rest of his career up there. White could easily improve if he manages to stay on the park and in the team. Showed some good form when able to string games together.

The rest I absolutely agree with and the guys that I really look forward to seeing in 2012 is the continued improvement from Murph but a breakout year from Gibbs ala Murph this year. Yarran to dominate games and agree with an earlier post he is very much in the mould of Andrew McLeod or even Michael Long.

Can't wait to see all the boys in action next year with another pre season in them. Go Blues!!:thumbsu:

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Hampson
Gibbs
Mitchell (For you EBIAC; not neccessarily in the seniors but on the park playing games and showing us that hype is not a dirty word)
Lucas

Back