Weight: 81kg

Quick Notes on Henry Schade

Tall defender
Good agility
Good closing speed
Good in a one-on-one situation
Raking left foot kick
Henry Schade in detail
Henry Schade represented Tasmania at this years Under 18 championships and was solid enough to earn All Australian selection.

Schade is a tall defender who has the height and athletic scope required to play on the tall forwards of today. His agility is great for a tall unit, and combined with his great closing speed makes him a versitile player.

Schade reads the play well and as such is good in a one-on-one contest. His raking left foot kick also allows him to clear the defensive 50 with ease.

A round up of some of the Phantoms profiling of Henry:

Jason Phelan Phantom Draft
Having added a key forward and two mids, the Saints look to their key defensive posts and swoop on Schade. The Tasmanian full-back is an impressive size and his courageous play with the North Hobart Demons has won him plenty of admirers. His willingness to attack the ball carrier saw him knocked out in the dying seconds of a game the Demons had well in their keeping late in the season. With Zac Dawson departing, the Saints have a key defender to groom for the future.
Quigley's 2011 Mock
AFL recruiters regularly overlook the Tasmanians for some reason often allowing teams who actually pay attention to benefit. This year there are quite a few draftable prospects coming out of the Apple Isle so it might be a bit harder to hide them under a bushel especially the likes of Schade who is a quality defender who could easily be considered the best of a crop full of guys with major deficiencies. This guy made the All Australian team for a reason. He will undoubtedly go below lesser prospects from Victoria and WA and so a team could well get a bargain waiting on Henry.

He has a classic Dustin Fletcher style build being a bit on the thin side but with very good height at a legitimate 196 and long telescopic arms. As well as having great height he also tested in the top 10% in the running jump and this allows him to take even ruck sized forwards. Despite being a little underweight (although he has put on 10kgs this year) he has shown some really nice strength and he more than held his own in the wrestling contests at the Champs. He has been playing against men in the TSL this year and has acquitted himself well from what I have been able to ascertain. He is one of the younger key position prospects and has grown a couple of centimetres this year and is reportedly still growing. He already has more height than most of the other KPD prospects and when you combine that with good closing speed and excellent agility for a KP you can understand why some like me might like him over some more highly regarded guys who are measuring in at 191ish and might struggle to deal with some of the monster forwards coming into the AFL atm.

He is a left footer with no right foot that I have been able to see. Still with the left foot he is very proficient. He most often punches out nice little three quarter distance kicks which travel fairly flat with nice weight and feel on them. He has good penetration when he wants to get it there but he does tend to lose a little accuracy on the longer kicks. When he is rushed he can get a little under the ball but when he has time to balance he is a very nice kick coming out of defense. He can handball with either hand but again can get a little flustered under pressure. When he is under pressure he can miss targets by foot a bit too.

He is a balanced mover who evaluates his downfield options nicely coming out of defense. I would like to see him work to link up more going out of defense but I suppose when he gets his endurance up in a full time environment it should come. At the moment his endurance is probably his biggest Achilles heel with him testing in the bottom 20% at Combine. This is not unusual for KPD and I am sure that in a full time environment he will be brought up to speed over the next couple of years without too many dramas.

He certainly has the skills so that you would want the ball in his hands. Below the knees he is very clean and he watches the ball into his hands nicely. He judges the ball well in the air but is probably not a great mark (despite taking mark of the round in round 3 of the TSL). He is very disciplined however and will usually spoil if he is any doubt. He gets very good height on his spoils and is very difficult to outmark for forwards. Personally I like discipline already installed in my young defenders.

Overall I like his attitude at the back a lot. He is aggressive in his spoiling and tackling and he does the team things. He looks out for his teammates and is a team player. He can play some forward but is most comfortable down back and this is where I think he will end up playing his AFL football. His father is a former TSL premiership player.
Snoop Dog 2011
Has played fwd and back but I think will settle in CHB where he is the modern type. Plays a bit like a Sam Fisher insomuch as he is pretty aggressive at the ball and can be in the play at all times. Very mobile and a really neat left foot kick and would border on elite for his size I would think. Seen him play some lovely footy and just always looks composed and knowing exactly what he wants to do. Really good decision maker for mine but he needs to add weight.
AFL Comparison – Sam Fisher
Roughie – Ben Brown or Fletcher Roberts

Knightmare 2011
Style: Dustin Fletcher
Player comparison:
Range: 20-45
Profile: Really solid full back. Disciplined spoiling type. Good reader of the play. Has a neat left foot kick. Very good user of the ball by both hand and foot. Decision making when pressured is questionable. Good leap. Has nice pace. Agile. Endurance not great but will improve. One of the best for Tasmania during the champs and looks like a good chance to get drafted. Needs to get a little stronger, but that will come.
Bulldogsman's 2011
Tall defender that possesses a reasonable defensive game and gives good run. He’s a very good long kick and has good decision making skills. He’s a ok mark and is good below his knees. He’s very good one on one, I haven’t seen many goals kicked on him. Reads the play pretty well. He’s agile and has good closing speed. Can play on talls and mediums. He’s very good offensively and gives good rebound. Will need time to put on size and bulk. Has a lot of potential, but does need to improve his concentration levels and needs to back himself to take more marks.

Give him a couple of years and he will be a very solid player for you guys. Surprised by the Sam Fisher comparison, was thinking more along the lines of Fletcher personally.

Give him a couple of years and he will be a very solid player for you guys. Surprised by the Sam Fisher comparison, was thinking more along the lines of Fletcher personally.

Maybe Dustin Fletcher's body with Sam Fisher's run and carry and attack on the man / ball :cool:

[YOUTUBE]5DFTT6Ky7W8[/YOUTUBE]

I reckon the GCS have the steal of the bunch.

Within the GCS environment Schade is potentially the player you build a backline around for 10-12 years.

He has just turned 18 years old (8-11-2011) and probably still has 2-3cm of growth left in him.

Presently at 196cm and 81kg, he has sublime foot and hand skills, a fantasic leap (top 10% in 260 draft/state screening boys), excellent closing speed and does not panic under pressure.

More than capable in the immediate term of playing HBF or wing, he would absolutely carve up the opposition with long pin point accuracy kicks deep into the forward line.

While presently played as a fullback, I reckon potentially he is a CHB. This would free him up and allow him to develop into a "A" grade player.

Thanks for the info GTB.

Did anyone else see him in that new video on Suns TV? He's so white! I mean, seriously, there's white and then there is ghost-white. Never been to Tasmania myself, but I hope there's a sun down there. ;) Hopefully he can adjust to the heat well.

He's also really, really, really skinny. Never seen a player that's as skinny as he in the AFL before. Will need at least 3 years you'd think to put the required muscle on.

Thanks for the info GTB.

Did anyone else see him in that new video on Suns TV? He's so white! I mean, seriously, there's white and then there is ghost-white. Never been to Tasmania myself, but I hope there's a sun down there. ;) Hopefully he can adjust to the heat well.

We have son, but we try and avoid it. There is basically no ozone layer so it burns. :)

He will be a bit of a project player, but if his skills are good enough, his weight won't matter a great deal, just don't put him on monsters like J-Brown or Dawes in his first few years. Could be employed as more of a Maxwell/Fletcher style role initially.

We have son, but we try and avoid it. There is basically no ozone layer so it burns. :)

He will be a bit of a project player, but if his skills are good enough, his weight won't matter a great deal, just don't put him on monsters like J-Brown or Dawes in his first few years. Could be employed as more of a Maxwell/Fletcher style role initially.

From memory Grant Birchall from Hawthorn is around 193cm and 85kgs and a left footer.

Out of the 250 odd boys tested nationally for draft/state screening, Schade was in the top 10% for height and just as importantly in the top 10% for 5 metre vertical leap off preferred foot.

So he is tall, great leap, left sided (but equally good on right side) with long, low accurate kicks, very good closing speed, fantastic decision making, runs lines and has a bit of pig in him.

It is probably no coincidence Scott Clayton nabbed him!!! Yeh I love the Tassie boys, but we have produced a few decent footballers over the last 50 years or so. Richardson, Hart, Baldock, Pritchard, etc, etc

Likely to add 4-5kg to his 81kg frame which makes him a a real contender to play this year. If you analyse Schade's age, height, weight, positioned played in comparison to the rest of the GCS list you might understand where I am coming from.

If he doesn't get seriously injured throughout the journey Schade will be the number 1 backman that the GCS build their defence around.

This kid has serious upside and is a potential 10 year player!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tassie boys probably won't have the same "return home" tendency as some of the other southern staters, since they don't have another AFL team based there & enticing them back. If they can handle the heat in Qld, they'll probably enjoy being a Gold Coast Sun.

:thumbsu: the comments that he's a 10 yr CHB prospect
and that in the meantime, he could be given some blooding games on a HF flank .
Brilliant notion to add to the mix. Eat up Henry ! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back