VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Sandringham 2012 Practice Match Dates

Saturday March 3 – Home v Box Hill
Saturday March 10 – Home v Werribee
Saturday March 17 – Home v Port Melb

** Thought it was time we opened a 2012 news thread :p

Just saw the starting times for the Box Hill practice match....

Reserves starting at 8.30 am

seniors at 10.50

There goes a Friday night on the wild Turkey....good thing we're not playing at North Ballarat with those starting times...

There goes a Friday night on the wild Turkey

I did wonder what prompted you to put "Get _ucked Ross" on the scoreboard last year.

You can't complain about an early start - you're going pretty early with details for a March praccy match. :D

If you're still online, thoughts on Orr as a rookie?

(a comment on Rigga wouldn't go astray either)

I did wonder what prompted you to put "Get _ucked Ross" on the scoreboard last year.

You can't complain about an early start - you're going pretty early with details for a March praccy match. :D

If you're still online, thoughts on Orr as a rookie?

(a comment on Rigga wouldn't go astray either)

did zebraman really put that on the scoreboard?

and if so how was it received?

did zebraman really put that on the scoreboard?

and if so how was it received?

Sorry - no - just would've been funny if zeb had overdone the wild turkey and let on what he really thought about the state of the alignment.

Bad news everyone. My brother just got back from Port Melbourne try-outs, and he loved it. I am sitting here shattered. Will keep you all posted on where he decides to go! :thumbsu:

Simon McPhee

McPhee - Senior Coach
Graham
Hudson

and already signed - Beau Dowler

Paul Kennedy - Reserves Coach

Arrivals/Departures/Signings ( From ZebMail)
Some good signings from the Zebs withformer Murray Bushranger captain Brendan Allen signing for 2012.

Beau Dowler has also signed at Sandringham and is doing 5 weeks of pre-season training with St Kilda in hopes of reigniting an AFL career

The total number of 2011 listed Dragons boys training with us to over 15 – The Dragons/Zebs relationship continues to prosper which we are extremely happy about.

Michael Lourey, Mick Meehan, Peter Shakallis and Daniel Sands have all recommitted to the Zebs for 2012
Captain David Gallagher has also signed for what will be his tenth year at Sandy.
Brett Dore is still undecided on his footy for 2012

In departure news Matt Boland, Rob Cathcart, Madison Andrews, Rick Ferraro Matthew Wade and Sam McBain have all moved on from the Zebs.
Andrews who won the Reserves B&F this year has gone back to play local football with Berwick and McBain has moved back to his junior club Beaumaris,
Cathcart, Boland & Ferraro have made the move to the Collingwood VFL list

Matt Wade has taken a playing/assistant coaching role with Tooradin.

Re-signings, Arrivals and Departures for 2012

Thought you guys on here might be interested to read article i wrote about the alignment between the Saints & Zebras. Click the link for full article (bit big to copy all across here) I interviews long time Zebs supporters John Lysaght and in the 2nd part ill be doing later on im interviewing Sandy President Gerry Ryan.

Gives a bit of insight into what they think of the alignment under Ross Lyon and what they think moving forward.

St Kilda and Sandringham: The Road To A New Beginning

The alignment of the St Kilda and Sandringham Football Clubs has often been looked upon as a match made in heaven. The link with the late great Saint Trevor Barker, the Bayside location and a loyal supporter base who have followed both Clubs have made a strong case for the alignment to work and be successful.

But as with any relationship, it has had its ups and downs and hasn’t always been smooth sailing. The issues faced by both clubs have made for a strained and frustrating partnership and at times even becoming untenable.

During Ross Lyon’s tenure at St Kilda, players were for most part, only allowed to train at Sandringham when playing interstate. Sandringham’s coach, Brett Lovett, had his own game plan, which meant St Kilda players had to learn it on the run. This lead to many of the St Kilda players being played out of position, and as such, many of the younger brigade were not exposed to senior level football or able to gain the much-needed experience to develop and progress.

“The alignment has been tricky so far, particularly when Ross Lyon was coach. He showed little or no interest in what was happening at Sandringham. Which I found really strange given that there were at least 12 St Kilda listed players playing each week” John Lysaght explains.

As with all alignments between VFL and AFL clubs there will be supporters that don’t like it and would rather be a successful standalone club.

“I speak to a lot of Sandy supporters on a regular basis. As with any alignment, some are quite happy with it and others not so happy. A few supporters are worried that Sandringham will change their jumper/theme song etc. I certainly hope that never happens. I don’t want this club to end up like Box Hill where they have just bent over and are nothing more than Hawthorn reserves that happen to play at Box Hill. That’s’ the worst case scenario in my opinion”

“Personally I have no problem with St Kilda. We had a fantastic run premiership wise when we were aligned with Melbourne, but they chose to go down the Casey Fields route and it may be of some benefit to them at some time in the future. Time will tell if it was a good decision or otherwise.”

Love your work AT.

It makes me wonder how long Ross Lyon had a move like this in plan. I'm thinking a lot sooner than mid 2011. It's mind blowing his complete lack of interest in the list beyond the top 25 during his time. Premiership tilt or not, it's inexcusable.

Love your work AT.

It makes me wonder how long Ross Lyon had a move like this in plan. I'm thinking a lot sooner than mid 2011. It's mind blowing his complete lack of interest in the list beyond the top 25 during his time. Premiership tilt or not, it's inexcusable.

Cheers mate.

Yes it really does make you wonder what he was thinking. Yet he still claims he can develop players!!

Personally (as a long time Zebs fan aswell) i couldnt see the alignment surviving next year if Ross had stayed at St Kilda. But as John said, the money factor probably would have made it have to stay. But no doubt there's no way it would have survived past the current contract.

sandyzebs Sandringham FC
Nick Sautner given Life Membership of the Sandringham Football Club. The most decorated player in the clubs history and truly deserved!

sandyzebs Sandringham FC
David Mcgeorge also given Life Membership of the club - two Sandy superstars!

somehwere it ws mentioned that when Andy Lovell was the coach of Sandy, and he reported to the saints, that the Sandy players were quite unhappy with those Saints players playing for Sandringham as they were treated better then the sandy players. If it was true that the sandy players either were unahppy or went to their Board complaining. what would be the difference this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Lyon isn't coach.

2. Players are expected to train with Sandringham.

3. St Kilda's made an effort to include Zeb players in pre-season training.

4. The club has acknowledged the issues with the alignment.

5. McPhee has experience in an alignment situation.

6. There will be more consistency in the message / game plan with Hudson being the forwards coach and Graham defensive coach (for Sandringham).

7. There was talk of fielding a stand alone team previously. Now there's talk of extending the alignment.

somehwere it ws mentioned that when Andy Lovell was the coach of Sandy, and he reported to the saints, that the Sandy players were quite unhappy with those Saints players playing for Sandringham as they were treated better then the sandy players. If it was true that the sandy players either were unahppy or went to their Board complaining. what would be the difference this year?

That was posted on Saintsational...it's a load of crap...a poster there who has been obviously against the alignment and who was super confident that it was ending after the 2011 season suddenly realized that it was continuing and maybe continuing beyond 2014..now of course this doesn't suit this posters argument, so he makes up some story about Sandy players going to the board complaining....absolute BOLLOCKS...and it's a mystery as to why he would write that sort of crap...but...everyone is different and has a different way of getting their message....like don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...

That was posted on Saintsational...it's a load of crap...a poster there who has been obviously against the alignment and who was super confident that it was ending after the 2011 season suddenly realized that it was continuing and maybe continuing beyond 2014..now of course this doesn't suit this posters argument, so he makes up some story about Sandy players going to the board complaining....absolute BOLLOCKS...and it's a mystery as to why he would write that sort of crap...but...everyone is different and has a different way of getting their message....like don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...

the problems with forums like this one and saintsational is you don't know who to believe. i would have thought what was said sounded truthful. which was why i asked the question here in the hope that you Zebraman would asnwer as you would know more about sandythen us and who ever wrote it on saintsatonal.

So thanks for setting me straight.

Simple rule.

It was from plugger66. If it's from him or BigMart, ignore it. They're just trying to both pretend they have inside knowledge about how the club is run, and that they and the players are best mates. They have been shown to be frauds countless times.

the problems with forums like this one and saintsational is you don't know who to believe. i would have thought what was said sounded truthful. which was why i asked the question here in the hope that you Zebraman would asnwer as you would know more about sandythen us and who ever wrote it on saintsatonal.

So thanks for setting me straight.

Whilst I know BF is special and all, as zebraman had refuted the rumour on SS, I'm not sure why it would be repeated on here (in the hope that zebraman would refute it again!)

It's different anyways now - let's see how the alignment goes next year.

Fixture is out, not sure what to do with your Sundays- head to Sandy
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=17786803

VFL 2012 Senior Fixture
Round 1 Sunday 25th March Sandringham Zebras vs. Box Hill Hawks TBBO 2:00 PM
Round 2 Sunday 1st April North Ballarat vs. Sandringham Zebras Eureka Stadium 2:00 PM
Round 3 Sunday 8th April Sandringham Zebras vs. Coburg Tigers TBBO 2:00 PM
Round 4 Saturday 14th April BYE - Coburg Tigers, Sandringham Zebras & Werribee
Round 5 Sunday 22nd April Sandringham Zebras vs. Williamstown TBBO 2:00 PM
Round 6 Saturday 28th April Collingwood vs. Sandringham Zebras Victoria Park 1:00 PM
Round 7 Sunday 6th May Sandringham Zebras vs. Bendigo TBBO 2:00 PM
Round 8 Sunday 13th May Northern Blues vs. Sandringham Zebras Visy Park 2:00 PM
Round 9 Sunday 20th May Sandringham Zebras vs. Geelong CatsTBBO 2:00 PM
Saturday 26th & Sunday 27th May State Game - TAS vs. VFL
Round 10 Saturday 2nd June BYE - Box Hill Hawks, Coburg & Sandringham Zebras
Round 11 Sunday 10th June Frankston Dolphins vs. Sandringham Zebras Frankston Oval 2:00 PM
Round 12 Sunday 17th June Werribee Tigers vs. Sandringham Zebras Avalon Airport Oval ( Werribee 2:00 PM
Round 13 Sunday 24th June Sandringham Zebras vs. Casey Scorpions TBBO 2:00 PM
Round 14 Saturday 30th June Port Melbourne vs. Sandringham Zebras North Port Oval 2:00 PM
Round 15 Sunday 8th July BYE - Coburg Tigers, Sandringham Zebras & Werribee
Round 16 Sunday 15th July Sandringham Zebras vs. North Ballarat TBBO 2:00 PM
Round 17 Saturday 21st July Bendigo vs. Sandringham Zebras QEO 2:00 PM
Round 18 Saturday 28th July BYE - Collingwood, North Ballarat & Sandringham Zebras
Round 19 Sunday 5th August Sandringham Zebras vs. Frankston Dolphins TBBO 2:00 PM
Round 20 Sunday 12th August Sandringham Zebras vs. Collingwood TBBO 2:00 PM
Round 21 Saturday 18th August Williamstown vs. Sandringham Zebras Burbank Oval) Willimstown 2:00 PM
Round 22 Saturday 25th August Casey Scorpions vs. Sandringham Zebras Casey Fields 2:30 PM

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=17786803

Re: Review of St Kilda drafting 2006 - present

I noticed that the Zebs have signed Myke Cook, who was delisted by the Crows after 4 years on the list. Pick 38 in 2007 (noting Chris Mayne at #40 and Jack Steven at #42). Originally from A2R's zone (St Bedes).

Re: Review of St Kilda drafting 2006 - present

The playing list for the Zebras in 2012 is out - find it here.

Notice a lot of youth coming in from the Sandy Dragons. Looks like our sense of list rejuvination has rubbed off on the Zebs as well.

Bit of an article on one of the new Zebs

Stevens to become a Zebra

Stevens, who turns 19 next Friday, is looking forward to the chance to further develop himself as a footballer in the state league.

After receiving a call from Sandringham’s operations manager in November, the former Echuca player considered all his options before committing to the Zebras.

‘‘I had a think about it, thought it was pretty good and I went down there and had a chat with them,’’ he said.

‘‘They were good about it...and I thought it would be a good opportunity, so I decided to go there.’’

Stevens played seven senior games with the Murray Bombers last year and has represented TAC Cup side Bendigo Pioneers 19 times in the past two years.

Full Article - http://www.mmg.com.au/local-sport/echuca/stevens-to-become-a-zebra-1.6920

It is looking a bit dicey for Darch in the VFL this year.

The Zebs have lost Brett Dore and James Orr - both handy types in the ruck.

Not sure they have signed any mature rucks.

Unless Jones and Sikora (who both played reserves last year) improve, there is going to be some pressure on the St Kilda listed guys to play a fair bit in the middle. I'm not sure Lever and Staley would be ready to go up against experienced VFL ruckmen.

Here is part 2 of my articles on the alignment between the Zebs & Saints. I sat down with Sandy President Gerry Ryan... Next up will be Chris Pelchan :cool:

St Kilda and Sandringham: The Road To A New Beginning Part 2

In part 2 of True Sainters exclusive three-part series into the alignment between the St Kilda and Sandringham Football Clubs we speak to Sandringham President, Gerry Ryan.

Last Friday I had the privilege to sit down and have a chat with the President of the Sandringham Football Club, Gerry Ryan. He is passionate about the Club and one of his main objectives is to oversee the new alignment between St Kilda and Sandringham.

The constant theme throughout our meeting was that the direction St Kilda is heading in has generated a renewed excitement and it is not limited to just those at the Linen House Centre. It has also filtered through to the Trevor Barker Beach Oval. The change of attitude is largely due to Chris Pelchen, who has taken a major role in facilitating the transition and changes necessary to make the alignment work.

Staff at Sandringham can’t speak highly enough of the effort Chris has put in to ensure both clubs are on the same page and will work together to enable future success on and off the field. Players are also feeling a sense of change and are embracing this positive new era.

Please follow link to read entire article - http://tsjournal.net/2012/02/02/st-kilda-and-sandringham-the-road-to-a-new-beginning-part-2/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back