Movie Documentaries to Download?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,

I'm currently in a pretty good situation - I have free, unlimited and very fast internet (a perk of being overseas!) with a new hard drive begging to be filled.

Can people suggest interesting doco's to download? Can be on life, history, any sports, politics, environment, drugs, random interesting people, engineering feats... anything! I've just downloaded a bunch of David Attenborough doco's and am looking for any interesting one off/series doco's.

I'm in the middle of downloading one recommended to me called 'Alone In The Wilderness' which is about some guy who went off into the woods to live for 30 years, building huts himself etc... apparently he puts Bear Grylls to shame.

So what are your favourite Doco's?

I don't know if you can download these? Just buy the DVD?

The Last Plane Out of Berlin - Story of Aussie Sydney Cotton.
The True Story of the Bridge on the River Kwai - not the Hollywood fabrication.
The Hitler Youth - exactly what you imagine it is.
Hitler: Savior or Satan
Massacres Under the Rising Sun
The Warsaw Ghetto (1940-1943)
The Last of the Hitlers
Arctic Mission: The Great Adventure
D-Day: Canada's 24 Hours of Destiny
"Biography" Audie Murphy: Great American Hero
Some of Our Airmen Are No Longer Missing
On a Wing and a Prayer
U-234 - Hitler's Last U-Boat
The Day That Panicked America
The Battleships
The History of the Submarine
The Legends of King Arthur
The Secrets of Underground Britain
Richard Hillary: A Fighter Pilot's Story
Guadalcanal: The Island of Death
McGilvray: The Game is Not the Same
Lang ist der Weg (1949) - it's actually a movie, but one about a subject rarely discussed or shown, the plight of the Jews post WW2.

That should keep you going

Download? I assume you mean <couch, cough> purchase.

Try the new Ken Burns 3-part documentary on the prohibition, called, oddly enough, The Prohibition. Tis great.

Download? I assume you mean <couch, cough> purchase.

Try the new Ken Burns 3-part documentary on the prohibition, called, oddly enough, The Prohibition. Tis great.

His Civil War doco is excellent

The corporation
enron, smartest men in the room
inside job
anything by louis theroux
all watched over by machines of loving grace
the power of nightmares
gasland
addicted to plastic
through the wormhole - 2 series
what is one degree
atom

I like Louis. The ones he did on the Baptist church of nujobs were great.

I highly recommned 'Requiem for Detroit' about the decline of the American car industry and the city where it was born. It has a great aesthetic about it, and wonderful interviews. One of the best I've seen in years.

I like Louis. The ones he did on the Baptist church of nujobs were great.

I highly recommned 'Requiem for Detroit' about the decline of the American car industry and the city where it was born. It has a great aesthetic about it, and wonderful interviews. One of the best I've seen in years.

Wow, cheers grzzlym that sounds really good. :thumbsu:

My favourite louis theroux is 'racism in south africa'

The corporation
enron, smartest men in the room
inside job
anything by louis theroux
all watched over by machines of loving grace
the power of nightmares
gasland
addicted to plastic
through the wormhole - 2 series
what is one degree
atom

This.

And not really doco's as such but for shits & giggles James May Man Lab is good for a laugh or two.

The definitive Kennedy assassination documentary is JFK: The Jim Garrison Tapes.

I'm a Nixon/Watergate nut, so I also highly recommend the PBS documentary just called 'Watergate' (i've been unable to find a torrent of it yet, but its on YouTube as a 30-part series). The best political documentary i've ever seen.

The History Channel docos on Nixon, Kennedy and the Cuba Missile Crisis are also top-tier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a Nixon/Watergate nut, so I also highly recommend the PBS documentary just called 'Watergate' (i've been unable to find a torrent of it yet, but its on YouTube as a 30-part series). The best political documentary i've ever seen.

There's a VHS copy on Amazon (The American site)

Also grab King of Kong. It's about arcade gaming, but it is very brilliant.

A few people have recommended that to me so will def give that a go :thumbsu:

Sweet, I studied Urban Planning at uni (just finished :)) so that kinda stuff interests me. Cheers :thumbsu:

It's an awesome doco. The bit about how the city is starting to renew itself is fascinating as well.

There's a scene where they walk through a massive art nouveau factory. It's abandoned, derelict and covered with graffiti. The guy gestures at some old machinery and says something like, 'this is where we taught people how to make stuff... now we (America) doesn't make anything'. Kind of sums up the plight of contemporary America.

Any of the ESPN 30 for 30 docos for a sports fix
This.

Quality docos, sport is the stage on which these are set but they all have a human side to them anyone can relate to.

Great recommendation. I caught this on SBS or ABC one night. Detroit is a city that has really fascinated me of late and this doco really captures its rise, fall and rebirth very well.

These are some of my favourites I listed in another doco thread:

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Collapse
Exit Through the Gift Shop
The Thin Blue Line
Senna
The Fog of War
Inside Job
Bowling for Columbine
Loose Change
Man on Wire
The Smashing Machine