Tertiary and Continuing Which degrees are useless/useful?

Tex_21

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2008
Die Kaffeeklatsch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Landsborough
All of them?

Pretty much. THere is no "Economics" major at UB as such. There was one in "Applied Economics and Finance", which involves some maths work in the finance classes (Black-Scholes, discounting etc) but nothing too strenuous. My third year Economic Policy class had about 12 people in it from memory, and even a class I took on Comparative Economic Systems only had about 15.

I've just started Commerce up here at UQ and two of the units I did this semester were ECONxxxx. The first, Intro to Macro, didn't involve any fancy maths (just some basic stuff to do with deflators and that sort of thing) but Business Stats was straight out maths - too much so for a lazy **** like me.

Are you living on campus at ANU? And what's the general vibe of the student population like there?
I've found similar here, but ANU has a rep for being heavy on maths in the eco stream, so it wasn't unexpected. First year macro here was using partial derivatives to solve models, which weren't even mentioned at any stage at UB.

I am living on campus, but I'm a hermit so probably not the best person to ask. Different colleges do have different 'cultures' (lack of a better word) though.

liam_13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In BSc, Agricultural Science would be good, especially in Tasmania, with so many scholarships passing by each year, means that there is a fair chance if your ATAR is good, you will get a scholarship.
States that rely on Agriculture desperately need more graduates, every year there is something like 60% graduates compared to jobs available in that sector.
Good money as well, can easily earn over 6 figures.

Science stuff is generally pretty good in Tas, lots of Antarctic research, and also a lot of untouched wilderness like the Franklin and the Tarkine where cutting-edge research can be undertaken.

Medicine is also good, pretty obvious. But things that could be replacements to aspired but failed medicine students such as physiotherapy and pharmacy are also highly sought after, with high ATARs required, and good salary. Both also have chances of opening a business, I wonder if it would be possible to do a pharmacy/business course??

Tasmania definitely offers different options, as I have learnt from my time in SA. If you're an aspiring naturalist/scientist, many opportunities there. Just don't get involved with the government ;)

liam_13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
\
My advice - don't get too caught up in the degree. Sure, get it done and prove to yourself and the world that you're capable - but personality shits all over qualifications as a career maker. Build your people skills and most of all - put everything you learn into practice.

I know a guy who would never pass any uni course. Just doesn't have the will or attention span to be good academically.

However, he has people skills, personality and a will to learn about practical things. He is in the agricultural sector, earning 100k, and in early 20s. It's not about what uni degrees are useless etc, it's how you apply what you've got, whether that's a phD, an Arts degree, or no tertiary study :thumbsu:

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
I reckon group selection becomes on of the dark arts of succeeding in some courses. It doesnt get any better in postgrad study fwiw.

Unit Chairs will tell you that group work allows them to set more searching papers and given the rules regarding assessment turnarounds, a fair shot to submit results. I'd note that a couple of international students I've had the misfortune to work with over the last couple of years would sink without a trace if asked to complete an assignment on their own.

I just finished my MPA and got ****ed around with group assignments so much its not funny.

Anyway, the true motivation for a lot of lecturers setting group assignments is this - if they have a course with 300 students and set an individual assignment they will have to mark 300 assignments. But, if the lecturer sets an assignment that can be completed in groups of four they may only have to mark as few as 75 assignments.

So, in short, a lot of them cbf marking loads of assignments.

Oct 23, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
In BSc, Agricultural Science would be good, especially in Tasmania, with so many scholarships passing by each year, means that there is a fair chance if your ATAR is good, you will get a scholarship.
States that rely on Agriculture desperately need more graduates, every year there is something like 60% graduates compared to jobs available in that sector.
Good money as well, can easily earn over 6 figures.

Science stuff is generally pretty good in Tas, lots of Antarctic research, and also a lot of untouched wilderness like the Franklin and the Tarkine where cutting-edge research can be undertaken.

Medicine is also good, pretty obvious. But things that could be replacements to aspired but failed medicine students such as physiotherapy and pharmacy are also highly sought after, with high ATARs required, and good salary. Both also have chances of opening a business, I wonder if it would be possible to do a pharmacy/business course??

Tasmania definitely offers different options, as I have learnt from my time in SA. If you're an aspiring naturalist/scientist, many opportunities there. Just don't get involved with the government ;)

However, there's no money or job security for science in general. Just to stick a dampener on it! And generally research is going to have a government involvement.

I'm not sure I'd call physio and pharmacy options for 'failed med students'! They're incredibly competitive in themselves.

Congrats. I've finsihed, so any advice needed/wanted, let me know. :thumbsu:

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United

I think Monash offers a Pharmacy/Commerce double. Otherwise there is postgraduate qualifications in business.

There have been numerous things happen over the last few years and that are about to happen (changes to the PBS, drugs coming off patent) that could make pharmacy not that much of a great business anyway.

Failed medicine students is somewhat condescending.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I've nearly completed my Bachelor of I.T majoring in security. How hard should I expect it to find a decent paying job straight up? My marks have been very average as the studying/theory side of I.T absolutely does my head in, would this hinder my chances or do a lot of places just want someone with the qualification?

Nov 1, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just finished my MPA and got ****ed around with group assignments so much its not funny.

Anyway, the true motivation for a lot of lecturers setting group assignments is this - if they have a course with 300 students and set an individual assignment they will have to mark 300 assignments. But, if the lecturer sets an assignment that can be completed in groups of four they may only have to mark as few as 75 assignments.

So, in short, a lot of them cbf marking loads of assignments.

This is very true. In fact, I have had tutors actually tell me that this is the exact reason there are so many group assignments. It's simply too hard to correct one assignment from every single student.

However, if you can get your groups right, and work with people you want to work with, a group assignment is preferrable to doing everything yourself. However, the opposite can happen. I once spent about 30% of the assignment time correcting the english and grammar mistakes of a group member. Only just passed the assignment.

This is very true. In fact, I have had tutors actually tell me that this is the exact reason there are so many group assignments. It's simply too hard to correct one assignment from every single student.

However, if you can get your groups right, and work with people you want to work with, a group assignment is preferrable to doing everything yourself. However, the opposite can happen. I once spent about 30% of the assignment time correcting the english and grammar mistakes of a group member. Only just passed the assignment.

Oh yes, the practical aspects are a big driver. The last couple of assignments I've been involved with, however, have been of such scope that no one student could be reasonably expected to complete it solo.

Stradic

Debutant
Suspended
Jan 8, 2012
Geraldton
AFL Club
Carlton
Oh yes, the practical aspects are a big driver. The last couple of assignments I've been involved with, however, have been of such scope that no one student could be reasonably expected to complete it solo.

Last few group assignments I have had, sucked. While the content wasn't difficult I don't understand how some fellow students are so lazy. In a group assignment isn't there an onus on you to not leave it to the last minute.

Assignments where you get to choose your team members are sometimes good because you know peoples abilities but you can start chatting to non related topics.

Talking about useless degrees, management degress would have to be up there.

I am about to start a BSc (Evolutionary Biology) as a mature aged student (part time).

I got in with my STAT score and I checked with the Uni about last year's STAT cut-offs for various degrees and I was above last year's cut-off for Law and would likely have got in if I wanted but TBH I couldn't think of anything much more boring.

Sure, it can give you more options and salary prospects but I would much rather be studying something I enjoy learning about.

I would like to do at least Honours and then see where I want to go from there. The current plan is for a Palaeontology major. Assuming I'm enjoying it and doing well at the end, I wouldn't mind pursuing a PHD - that is a long way away though.

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nick, I was under the impression you had already gone to uni. What, if anything, did you study in the past?

Also, why have you made yourself so scarce from SRP the last 12 months or so?

Nick, I was under the impression you had already gone to uni. What, if anything, did you study in the past?

Nah, I didn't go to uni straight after HS and it was entirely due to lack of effort. I picked subjects in year 10 that set up a particular path, followed them into year 11 and 12 and by the end really hated them. Because of that I did the bare minimum I needed to scrape through a pass and did just that.

I worked for a year after HS and then decided I'd like to apply for SAPOL so I went to TAFE and did a CIII in Justice Studies. The year without study had made a big difference. Also, I had probably matured a fair bit in that time too.

My SAPOL application fell over at the psych interview which was about 5 mins long and consisted of him asking what I did in my spare time. I believe the correct answer is that I am a massive extrovert and I go out lots and play sports. It is not that I enjoy hanging out with my close friends and watching movies/playing games.

After that I got a job at a training company and have since completed a CIV in Training & Assessment. Quite happy where I am but decided I'd like to study for personal fulfillment. If a new career arises then that's great but at worst it can never hurt to have any qualification.

I have always had a real interest in palaeontology and biology was the one year 12 subject that I actually somewhat enjoyed.

Also, why have you made yourself so scarce from SRP the last 12 months or so?

Ahh yes. I'm not sure if I can mention it here.

Actually, there is a link to it at the bottom of the page so I should be fine. I discovered Reddit! It can really eat up your time online. That said, I have started making an effort to include BF :)

dani_giuls

All Australian
Apr 17, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
However, there's no money or job security for science in general. Just to stick a dampener on it! And generally research is going to have a government involvement.

I'm not sure I'd call physio and pharmacy options for 'failed med students'! They're incredibly competitive in themselves.

Hahahaha really, because I did a BSc in Geology and I can tell you that I wouldnt say that the wages were low.

Actually Geo grads were at one stage the highest paid grads coming out of Uni! (Might be beaten by the mining engineers now).

I get what you're saying though, a lot of science degrees dont offer as high-paying jobs. But, it is such an important area and its a shame that it isn't compensated as such. :(

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
I've nearly completed my Bachelor of I.T majoring in security. How hard should I expect it to find a decent paying job straight up? My marks have been very average as the studying/theory side of I.T absolutely does my head in, would this hinder my chances or do a lot of places just want someone with the qualification?

I think you might need some external certificates and experience to help.

External certs I am talking about are Cisco and Microsoft, seeing as you majored in security( how is that by the way?) I'd recommend getting CCNA Security cert (need CCNA first). But then again I might be wasting a post and you might already know this.

I'm currently doing a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer and Networking) and am thinking about changing to a Bachelor of I.T or Computer Science.

Aug 18, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
I have a Journalism degree, and have worked part time at a street magazine in Adelaide for about 2 1/2 years, have worked in radio, and contribute to an independant news site, these seem more like a hobby to me, im currently back at uni, and have started my honours year of a Psychology degree.

I think the road i have gone through will lead me down a path with a plethora of options, to be honest, arts/journalism/communications qualifications with a psych/criminology background i figure should land me a decent job somewhere. Now to make a decision

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Which uni?

My experience at Monash (where you need a 90 ATAR just to get in, these days) was that it was 'awfully easy' to pass, not so easy to get straight HDs.

If you know what I mean.

Depends a lot on what strand you do. I did a double degree in music and literature. The Literature units were dead easy to pass but hard to get high marks. Music wasn't so easy. The theoretical units were ok but you had to put a lot of work into the practical units to pass. I practiced my recital pieces four hours a day and only managed credits.

Aug 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Depends a lot on what strand you do. I did a double degree in music and literature. The Literature units were dead easy to pass but hard to get high marks. Music wasn't so easy. The theoretical units were ok but you had to put a lot of work into the practical units to pass. I practiced my recital pieces four hours a day and only managed credits.

Which instrument did you play, Noddy?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, agree with this. Group assignments were a nightmare, though I must admit once being the guy that did **** all, I went away on holidays and couldn't get in touch with the group. My mark got dragged way down for that assignment, but it happens. International students are the worst to do it with. I put an assignment together, and had to re-write the entire thing to make in moderately understandable.
I'm studying first year architecture at the moment and group assignments are a bitch. Not sure how my partner hasn't dropped out yet, i did the majority of the work and she kept having to leave/go away etc but reassured me multiple times that she didn't want to let the team down...

Back