Ben Hilfenhaus

Remove this Banner Ad

It is definitely swinging later but still he could get it going even later like what Starc did to Tendulkar. None the less he has been bowling some absolute jaffers that would get any batsmen out. I can't remember if he had the ball which goes into the right hander in the Ashes but he certainly has that now which was one of the things he was missing before. His pace is definitely up and that makes a big difference.

This really was an inspired thread; everyone except the OP thought Hilfy's international career was over :thumbsu:

They interviewed McDermott on the fox coverage last night and McDermott said his priority was getting lengths right and encouraging the bowlers to pitch it up more to facilitate swing. Maybe Hilf would be a better bowler under McDermott given he had been bowling way too short for a swing bowler the last 18 months or so. He needs a good start to the domestic summer. I can't see Copeland lasting long and with Harris a crock there will likely be an opportunity opening up at some stage.

My earlier post from September, during the the Sri Lanka series (i think), not too bad.

Always worry when old threads are bumped, I'm sure there are plenty occassions when I look the fool.

Thanks A De Winter. Australia salutes you.

We can thank all of Tassie's cricketing leadership too. Our state is in excellent hands, from the captain through to the head coach. Hopefully we can keep churning out some talent over the next few years.

There's plenty of difference. If you can't see it, there's really no point in explaining it, but I will.

MOST of his deliveries in this series have been swinging late, the occasional one still goes from the hand but the vast majority are swinging either just before, it just after they hit the pitch. Obviously this makes him far more potent.

His pace - against England he was bowling 126-130ish for the entirety of his spells. Fast forward to now, we're talking high 130's to the odd 142-144 kilometre ball. Again, that makes him much more potent.

Thirdly, and this applies to Siddle too, he's pitching the thing up. Get it up there, watch it move. Simple, but when you're battling injury and form, it's often the simple things you lose sight of.

I said it before his debut, and I'll say it again. Hilfenhaus is the best pure swing bowler in the country. For me, when fit that almost guarantees selection.

His pace hasn't changed, honestly, show me the stats. His swing is seriously exactly the same, from the hand the majority of the time and usually short enough to leave without worrying that it is going to hit the stumps. India don't have a game plan to tackle what Australia is bowling. Australia do and England did against Australia.

Obviously he is the best swing bowler in the country because he is pretty much the only one, everyone else is a seamer though Siddle is improving. I can't knock either's performances but from what I've seen of Haus for his career, nothing has changed.

It is definitely swinging later but still he could get it going even later like what Starc did to Tendulkar. None the less he has been bowling some absolute jaffers that would get any batsmen out. I can't remember if he had the ball which goes into the right hander in the Ashes but he certainly has that now which was one of the things he was missing before. His pace is definitely up and that makes a big difference.

Starc's ball hit a crack, nobody moves the ball like that without some pitch assistance.

There are definite changes in the man, no doubting this. Ill Chicken's just being silly and saying 1 + 1 = 46. He can't be taken seriously.

You talk to Ben himself and he's raving about how much he has adjusted and improved what he's doing. It's great stuff.

His pace hasn't changed, honestly, show me the stats. His swing is seriously exactly the same, from the hand the majority of the time and usually short enough to leave without worrying that it is going to hit the stumps. India don't have a game plan to tackle what Australia is bowling. Australia do and England did against Australia.

Obviously he is the best swing bowler in the country because he is pretty much the only one, everyone else is a seamer though Siddle is improving. I can't knock either's performances but from what I've seen of Haus for his career, nothing has changed.

Starc's ball hit a crack, nobody moves the ball like that without some pitch assistance.

There's no way that same Hilfenhaus would have taken 20 (more now I think) wickets with a test remaining in a four test series.

When he was having knee troubles, his pace was down and his action was changed due to being in pain all the time.

Fully fit and his action has gone back to how I remember it. His pace is up, there's no way you could deny that and whilst I agree the odd delivery is still swinging from his hand, majority are off the pitch.

Usually short enough to leave alone. Yeah, that absolute ripper that bowled Dravid (at the WACA too, extra bounce) sure was short.

Either Hilfenhaus stole your girlfriend or you're just an idiot.

There's no way that same Hilfenhaus would have taken 20 (more now I think) wickets with a test remaining in a four test series.

When he was having knee troubles, his pace was down and his action was changed due to being in pain all the time.

Fully fit and his action has gone back to how I remember it. His pace is up, there's no way you could deny that and whilst I agree the odd delivery is still swinging from his hand, majority are off the pitch.

Usually short enough to leave alone. Yeah, that absolute ripper that bowled Dravid (at the WACA too, extra bounce) sure was short.

You're just a peanut.

Agree in general with what you're saying about Hilfenhaus - but you're either referring to the MCG or SCG with Dravid's dismissal.

His pace was still in the 130's last year, I think, but he definitely seems sharper on the whole now.

He's also bowled a fuller length (though sometimes he still pitches short) and has swung it later (having watched him closely, the ball often swings just before it hits the deck, rather than out of his hand).

Hilfy has gotten back to his best as his knee injury has obviously settled & he has straightened out his point of delivery.
I am getting more impressed with Starc each time I see him. Even just a few weeks ago he looked a bit wayward. Just a bit too imature for test cricket I thought. But one can see the huge difference in his control & confidence over just that short period.
We could have a pretty good pace battery for the Poms next time:D.
We still need to find a good leggie though
(& a decent keeper too:p)

Sorry sir I didn't realise you had all the facts and figures for me. Thank you for pointing out where I am wrong. So can you explain to me why Haus's economy rate is better against England in the last Ashes than India's? Must have been cause his pace was down and he wasn't bowling away swingers.

I hardly call Dravid playing inside a bloke who bowls outswingers a ripper. Pretty much all Dravid's dismissal have been similar. But saying that, what a delivery that Ryan Harris one was, a full half volley that bowled him leg stump. Unplayable.

The only difference is the release point that Yabba mentioned where Channel 9 showed a comparison of hand position. The reality is that the Channel 9 drones knock the crap into you saying oh Hilfenhaus is bowling so well, oh I don't remember him bowling this quick last summer.

It's not that he isn't bowling well it is that India don't have a plan to face him.

Sorry sir I didn't realise you had all the facts and figures for me. Thank you for pointing out where I am wrong. So can you explain to me why Haus's economy rate is better against England in the last Ashes than India's? Must have been cause his pace was down and he wasn't bowling away swingers.

I hardly call Dravid playing inside a bloke who bowls outswingers a ripper. Pretty much all Dravid's dismissal have been similar. But saying that, what a delivery that Ryan Harris one was, a full half volley that bowled him leg stump. Unplayable.

The only difference is the release point that Yabba mentioned where Channel 9 showed a comparison of hand position. The reality is that the Channel 9 drones knock the crap into you saying oh Hilfenhaus is bowling so well, oh I don't remember him bowling this quick last summer.

It's not that he isn't bowling well it is that India don't have a plan to face him.
He is definitely bowling quicker than he did last summer.

You don't need Channel 9 to tell you that to work it out either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Believe what you want to believe, facts are Hilfenhaus has 20+ wickets with a test remaining.

How you're comparing this series to his Ashes series, we he averaged 70 if I recall correctly, I'll never understand.

EDIT - 59.28 to be exact.

So can you explain to me why Haus's economy rate is better against England in the last Ashes than India's? Must have been cause his pace was down and he wasn't bowling away swingers.

Well, because too many of his deliveries were swinging from the hand and pitching outside off stump. That and they could simply sit him out and attack his (sometimes much more) erratic partners.

India can't do this as easily, because he's bowling fuller, more on the stumps and he's swinging it just before it hits the deck rather than out of his hand. Our bowling unit is also much tighter without Mitch.

Neither are in the ODI setup anyway unless we plan on giving them a second chance based on their new found form.

Neither are in the ODI setup anyway unless we plan on giving them a second chance based on their new found form.

Exactly, stupidity to rest either of them as you wouldn't have them in the ODI team and they both want to play.

i don't think he's bowling that much quicker than last season.

the commentary on all the tests is here and they list the bowling speeds
http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2010-11/engine/series/428730.html

generaly 133-135 but regularly in the high 130's. i have a feeling the sydney gun reading may have been out as everyone seems to be about 5 km higher than they were for the rest of the ashes series, but i've only had a quick scan of it.

but he is getting more upright this year and the ball is clearly swinging which is swinging later. also helping is the uselessness of the indian batsmen thus far.

it's been a massive comeback from him and hopefully it continues. the more in form bowlers we have the better, and he could be a big dangerman come 2013.

Its not all pace, Siddle hasnt bowled much faster either but is getting wickets. Its all about areas, movement and consistency which they have found compared to last year.

I wish he could play on sunday in the T20. His bowling in the first couple of games he played was brilliant. His loss has put a large hole in the Hurricanes attack. Anyone who is accurate & swings i,t will have success in all forms of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back