NSW Scholarship Holder - Craig Moller

Remove this Banner Ad

Twitter convo between @BigFootyDockers and @AFL_PKeane

BFD said:
Can you clarify rules surrounding NSW scholarship holders, especially Craig Moller, seen training with GWS yesterday?

PK said:
Freo has given Craig permission to train with GWS, to aid his development with a pre-season at higher level in home state.

BFD said:
ok. So if we pick him as our NSW scholarship holder, does he have to join us same as in the draft or can he say no

PK said:
NSW Scholars must join if nominated to primary list, as per other draftees. Scholars can refuse if only given rookie spot

Hopefully that helps shed some light :)

Twitter convo between @BigFootyDockers and @AFL_PKeane

Hopefully that helps shed some light :)

That was already clear I think. But he can also withdraw from the scholarship at any point, making those things irrelevant as he would no longer be a scholarship holder. The consequences are non-specific, but it is clearly an option for him.

That was already clear I think. But he can also withdraw from the scholarship at any point, making those things irrelevant as he would no longer be a scholarship holder. The consequences are non-specific, but it is clearly an option for him.

You would think that Freo would have done their due diligence before allowing Moller to train with GWS (ie. make sure he is committed to Freo)

You would think that Freo would have done their due diligence before allowing Moller to train with GWS (ie. make sure he is committed to Freo)

Yeah I would think they would be happy with it or it wouldn't happen. And Moller has consistantly made the right noises re coming over too.

I am really just highlighting that the afl and Freo would have some significant problems trying to legally oblige a player who signed a scholarship as juvenile (15yrs) and who has not actually joined the afl yet. And that is a pretty clear out-clause in place too. FWIW I also think if the afl threw a prohibition from him entering the draft for a couple of years if he did bail, that they could find a pretty strong legal challenge coming their way.

Either way I am looking forward to Moller joining us next season ;)

Either way I am looking forward to Moller joining us next season ;)

Great call, welcome aboard in advance Craig...I look forward to it!

Clarke/Moller two hit combo circa 2015+ = duff man says oh yeah...

For peoples interest he played in the GWS intraclub match. Played at FF for the team who got smashed in the midfield so didn't see much of the ball.

Has extremely skinny legs apparently. Word from one of the supporters is he has a lot of bulking up to do before he can make it at AFL. I think the comment was made without realising he's a year younger than most.

In saying that; April last year he was 77kg and 202cm. So he is a beanstalk.

For peoples interest he played in the GWS intraclub match. Played at FF for the team who got smashed in the midfield so didn't see much of the ball.

Has extremely skinny legs apparently. Word from one of the supporters is he has a lot of bulking up to do before he can make it at AFL. I think the comment was made without realising he's a year younger than most.

In saying that; April last year he was 77kg and 202cm. So he is a beanstalk.

Cheers. He still has plenty of time to bulk up before the draft. By the time the draft comes he will be a similar size to what Clarke was when he was selected.

Kicked 1 goal for GWS reserves, in a game they lost 151 to 34 on the 24th March in round of the NEAFL season.

Not named in the 6 best players for GWS.

Craig's a fair way off being in the best players for the GWS ressies - and FWIW I think he is struggling a bit to come to terms with how far off the pace he is, I think he had started to believe a fair bit of the hype - but I do think that he will improve a lot from the showing over the last 3 UWS games. Much of his improvement will come when he has a more settled line up around him, and a few clear structures to ruck to.

Also, it is still being made very clear that he is GWS bound - so much as I hope we find a way to keep him, I can't see Vlad and Andy Ando getting to the point where Craig doesn't wind up being one of the GWS home grown poster boys.

His marking overhead has dropped off noticeably in the pre-season this year - I'm hoping this is due to some injury/rehab effect, rather than a lack of muscle strength.

I'm not sure how its 'being made very clear he is GWS bound'. Fremantle gave the go ahead for him to play with the GWS reserves.

He played again yesterday, no goals, not named in best 6. Dean Brogan named best for the GWS reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL website just posted a list of players to look out for in U18 Div 2 Carnival

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/136621/default.aspx

Craig Moller, Sydney University, 22 August 1994, 203cm, 84kg
Craig is a 203cm ruckman who is capable of going forward, taking marks and kicking goals. He's very athletic, he tested as one of our quickest players over 20m, and is very agile as well. He's a Fremantle scholarship player. He's still very light and lean, but he has all the athletic attributes you'd want.

AFL website just posted a list of players to look out for in U18 Div 2 Carnival

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/136621/default.aspx

Craig Moller, Sydney University, 22 August 1994, 203cm, 84kg
Craig is a 203cm ruckman who is capable of going forward, taking marks and kicking goals. He's very athletic, he tested as one of our quickest players over 20m, and is very agile as well. He's a Fremantle scholarship player. He's still very light and lean, but he has all the athletic attributes you'd want.

Cheers Valkorum. Good post

Similar thing written in the 2012 Under 18 champs guide:

PLAYER TO WATCH - Craig Moller : “At 204cm,Craig has outstanding athletic ability,testing well in sprints,agility and vertical leap. Hasversatility and a long reach,and is dynamic as a ruckman and up forward.”

i saw NSW/ACT team in Albury last weekend looks very very high & starting to get a bit of size. Word is he is injured hope he plays. Knightmares draft had him as high 13.

On Before the Game this morning Sheeds was adamant that GWS would be taking rucks in the draft. Given that everyone is labeling the upcoming draft as a Superdraft it would be handy if we could squeeze a deal out of GWS for a high pick in return for Moller.

Vlad would rub his greedy little hands together at the thought of a GWS local staying put.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back