Silly Season 2011/12

Remove this Banner Ad

Nomad003

Draftee
Sep 12, 2010
The great south west
AFL Club
Sydney
That time of year again where the rumour mill is abuzz with who's going where and for how much?

I will get the ball rolling with;
-Korit's O'Keefe linked to East coaching job
-The other maskell medallist to GFL along with mates
-South players staying put (now that Kol is gone)

Anyone care to comment or add?

That time of year again where the rumour mill is abuzz with who's going where and for how much?

I will get the ball rolling with;
-Korit's O'Keefe linked to East coaching job
-The other maskell medallist to GFL along with mates
-South players staying put (now that Kol is gone)

Anyone care to comment or add?

Tocka coaching Panmure

Now that my favourite Port Fairy player , Scott Kelly is leaving to go to Merrivale , what is going on at the seagulls. With Shane Threllfell , Adam Mathieson and Paul Butters coaching at other clubs , does anybody know who the senior coach might be? Will Paul Wheatley play again? Any other news , recruits / departures?

Good luck to Hamilton Imperials with their appeal to the VCFL this week.

jeremy gleeson to be announced as coach of cobden....... this week...

50/50 call, one of two short listed....

time for a retraction or correction lol.

he was interviewed and either declined or was told no... not sure which, cobdens coach will be appointed from within and all their hopes are pinned on the draft....

My mail from the gulls is that Bernie Harris appointed as Senior Coach with Mick Sheehan as Assistant with the charter of giving opportunities to the local young players with senior games and renumeration.

Nomad ya put in a shocker with ya early calls!! Okeefe ended up at Panmure... and South lost 21 players at last count...

Rhys Raymond has headed to Geelong West tho... one tick!

Lookout for the teams with momentum this year people!!

Warrnambool should head the table this year! Have held on to a good list. Even tho the word is most players would of preferred a new coach they play to win and it wont affect performance! Jason Rowan is still on board and will certainly look to kick close to 100 goals again. Rhys Raymond is a big loss but im sure they can cover to a degree his dominance in 2011. Josh Walters is still one of the best and will lift to go very close to a Maskell Medal!! I visited their training and i was dissapointed at the numbers but i guess they will turn out soon! Chirnsides are beautys and look for a big year from the McCorkells!

North Warrnambool have possibly recruited the best they ever have picking up gun midfielder Dean Gavin (Labrador/Koroit), CHB Brendan Murfett (Cobden) who is a perfect fit for NTHW, Ruckman Jordan Dillon (STHW/NthBallarat Rebels) this bloke is a huge and exactly what Nth needed! add to that Joel Nestor HB, Josh Monaghan FB and expect for them to be even more competitive possibly looking at a top 3 finish!
David Haynes looks very fit, i visited their training last Monday watching from the car and he impressed on the track. Numbers at training are huge.

Koroit and Terang/Mortlake are both unknowns at this stage to me, numbers at Terang trainings are dismal and they have lost some key players in Xavier McKinnon, Chris Bant and Brett Membery! New Coach Shane Threlfell has his work cut out for him, im sure they will be competitive but may stumble early.
Koroit also have lost some quality players! Simon O'Keefe, Issac Templeton, and lost the chance to re-sign Dean Gavin. Liam McLaren looks to be injured from what i seen at training. Numbers have been good there tho. I hear Sam Dobson wont be returning from Ballarat to play this year. Adam O'Keefe is also gone. So as i said unknown quantity due to calibre of players lost but always competitive.

Reigning Premiers South Warrnambool have been hit the hardest by loss of players with reports of up to 20 players moving on. Its gonna hurt them but South are reknowned for having great junior players and always seem to recruit well so look for a new look senior side but a competitive one!! I havent yet been to a training there but after winning a flag they wouldnt be too worried about a little bit of a rebuild.

Cobden have a new coach, and will also undergo some changes, James Gellie, Brendan Murfett, Sam Holloway have moved on and Levi Dare has told the club he will play at NB Roosters. Joe Dare has signed on and is a great get for the club, jus coming off an AFL roster he will have plenty to offer. The word is Ricky Sullivan is unlikely to play due to moving or travelling...cant confirm.. Cobden always hard to beat at home but can struggle against the good sides away. They will be happy to sneak into finals.

Camperdown is the side who could be anything this year, ya never know who is gonna run out Rd.1 with them in recent times snagging players out of colac and geelong. The loss of Russell Whiteford is a big one, he and Sam Chapman were easily their best players last season. With an improved win loss ratio look for Sam Chapman to run close to a Maskell Medal!

I cant even write much about Port Fairy....New coach..Bernie Harris..they have regained services of the McCartney boys, lost Sam Dwyer, Sam Birchall, Ben Turner-Dwyer, Paul Wheatley, Cranage boys, Scott Kelly and the list goes on. Need to focus on rebuilding thru local kids, hard road but the only road.

So there is my opinion, from what i know my info is correct, apologies if you find some is different. It is afterall just an opinion and your free to pick it apart and give me stick! haha

:diamond:Final Ladder for 2012

Warrnambool - Premiers
Nth Warrnambool
Koroit
Terang/Mortlake
South Warrnambool
Cobden
Camperdown
Port Fairy

:diamond:Maskell Medal

Josh Walters

:diamond:Leading Goal Kicker

Jason Rowan

:diamond:Most Improved side

North Warrnambool

:diamond:Wooden Spooners

Port Fairy

HFNL 2012

Rumour has it there are several unimpressed Port Fairy players who have applied for clearances and had them denied. The reason being the club has declared they signed contracts for two seasons and have only played one. The contracts produced by club according to players are very different to the ones they initially signed.... Rumour has it... :eek:

Rumour has it there are several unimpressed Port Fairy players who have applied for clearances and had them denied. The reason being the club has declared they signed contracts for two seasons and have only played one. The contracts produced by club according to players are very different to the ones they initially signed.... Rumour has it... :eek:

Any news whether the hampden will run a top four or five into finals. It has been up for discussion for a while but still no decision.

Any news whether the hampden will run a top four or five into finals. It has been up for discussion for a while but still no decision.

My info is that it will stay the same this year and be re-evaluated next year if no new teams enter. I don't think it's really an issue, it's been fine for years. A new team will take the emphasis of it anyway.

The word is Camperdown big man Nick Bateman is up and about after shedding 15kg and shaving those horrid dreadlocks off. This man can play the game when fit. Look for a big year.

Unsubstantiated claims that Warrnambool Blues forward Travis Graham has told the club he is out. Rumour has it a side in the Western Border League have offered some substantial money for his signature on a contract! Most would say WFNC under rate this bloke, he is a big loss in most peoples opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So last week was the Boags Pre Season Cup and if you were looking for answers on who the top sides are going to be this year then you would still have none.

Teams went in with squads for seperate games, playing a lot of kids, playing what would look like reserves sides at times, apart from one side...Sth Warrnambool looked like they were reasonably settled and there to win. I dont know if its a major sign of things to come, i have no doubt they will feature come finals but not a big threat this year.

Im happy to sit back and wait for the end of rd3 to see the early trend. One side that also looked reasonably settled was Camperdown. Recruited a couple of taller players and skills looked good.

Teams such as Warrnambool, Nth Warrnambool, Terang/Mortlake and Koroit had some key players out and what seemed to be a good handful of reserves playing.

So one week to go! Has anyone got any views or info they want to share before round 1??

I ll give my tips for Rd.1

Warrnambool to give South a touch up and stamp their no.1 contender card!

Koroit to sit top of the ladder at end of rd.1 with a thumping win over Port Fairy.

Terang/Mortlake to just get over Cobden, less than a goal.

North Warrnambool to easily account for Camperdown to show the comp they are ready!

I see Staunton is having some troubles getting back down your way, contract issue apparently. Surely his 2011 club would have nothing to gain by making him sit out 2012, when he's not living in the area anymore. Would win an appeal pretty easily I'd imagine (unless money is involved)

It's looking that way at the moment with Staunton, I spoke with a club member of Terang today and he is assuring me he will be cleared. Wouldnt say what the hold up is tho. Could only be money or contractual otherwise as u said they cant hold him. Terang need this bloke!!

Yeah well if it's a two year contract he could be in strife. He wouldn't be moving back here tho, he will travel back weekly. That could be why they are holding him to his contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back