Phuket

Remove this Banner Ad

By all means yes I will go and get s**t faced there but I can't subscribe to being interested in drinking on the plane getting there.

Saw an Aussie bloke on an Bangkok airways flight having a decent crack at it. We were in first class (only tix available) and he had 4 within the 45 minute flight. Strangely drinking it through a straw too.

Saw an Aussie bloke on an Bangkok airways flight having a decent crack at it. We were in first class (only tix available) and he had 4 within the 45 minute flight. Strangely drinking it through a straw too.

Haha! What a nutjob. It's easy enough getting pissed on the plane due to the altitude level, letting alone needing to use a straw to get pissed quicker.

Personally, I all I crave is water on the plane. Need to keep the hydration up as I feel parched.

Questions;

Can anyone recommend a good place for a single bloke to spend 2-3 nights in Phuket? Despite all the Patong bashing here, it's the first time I've ever left Australia and I want to have bulk fun and get shitfaced, the usual single bloke holiday stuff.

I believe I'll be in Koh Samui for the FMP so I'm excited about being in a group that are all going to be wanting to head to it.

Should be pretty fun, I've got plenty of cash to blow so I should do it comfortably too.

First off, you'll have an awesome time mate. As you might've read, I went to Thailand late last year, and am heading back already in March. Love the place! Only difference is i'll be travelling alone - a big change from travelling with 5 mates last time. :p

As for Phuket, you'll love it. I know it's an acquired taste, but if you love the partying nightlife you'll love Phuket. Bangla Rd is obviously a little seedy, but if you can stumble upon one of the awesome little bars off the main strip, like I did, it might change you perspective, as there are rad places like this tucked away from most of the hustle and bustle.

Would love to do a Contiki tour there, but having a look at most of the tours, they take you through the common touristy stuff (elephant rides/big buddha etc.) of which i've already done most of. Would love to do one for the social aspect of it, but i'd virtually be paying $ to do the same sort of stuff i've already experienced.

There's only a handful of main touristy stuff like snorkling/Muai Thai Kickboxing/Fantasea which are things I missed out on experiencing last time, and of which i'm hoping to tick off the list. :thumbsu:

In terms of travelling solo around Thailand, I see they don't really offer hostels etc. It's cheap enough to stay in a hotel, I know, but reckon it'd be easier to meet people that way. Any recommendations on where to head to mingle with other locals/tourists for those of us flying solo? I'm guessing it's relatively easy to meet others by heading out to random bars/clubs etc - particularly given how friendly the locals are - but given it'll be my first time travelling solo, this'll be all new to me.

BTW am most likely heading to Phuket/Koh Samui/Koh Phangan/Pattaya.

For a single person it's probably best to stay in patong.

I stayed at the horizon, which whilst cheap, I would not recommend. Were not allowed to take any girls back to your hotel without incurring a $100 aud fine.

Not to mention we're 90% sure they added some extra billing when we left due to missing things we never even saw/used.

This next time I will be trying holiday inn, novotel i have heard good things about.

From patong you can go to karon for a more popular beach, or go one further to kata for some better surf/jetski time.

For a single person it's probably best to stay in patong.

I stayed at the horizon, which whilst cheap, I would not recommend. Were not allowed to take any girls back to your hotel without incurring a $100 aud fine.

Not to mention we're 90% sure they added some extra billing when we left due to missing things we never even saw/used.

This next time I will be trying holiday inn, novotel i have heard good things about.

From patong you can go to karon for a more popular beach, or go one further to kata for some better surf/jetski time.

Guys you need to learn that if you stay at a resort - you often incur a fee to bring a girl back to your room.

Disappointing to here. I went back to girls hotels a few times, just walked straight in, did not pass any guards or reception desks.

At the horizon both entries have a guard on duty and the reception desk overlooked the main entrance, was almost impossible for someone to sneak anyone home.

Best way to get from Koh Samui to FMP?

I guess the only way is by boat, but whats the best/safest way? Pretty much every type of boat ppl talk about has a bad rep

Anybody have any good boat stories to calm my nerves like "yeah we got the boat and it was sweet"

Best way to get from Koh Samui to FMP?

I guess the only way is by boat, but whats the best/safest way? Pretty much every type of boat ppl talk about has a bad rep

Anybody have any good boat stories to calm my nerves like "yeah we got the boat and it was sweet"

people like to just talk it up

Yeah its not the safest but neither is crossing the road i have known plenty of people to catch the boat over and never have an issue

Haven't been to Phuket for several years, stopped going when Thai Airways stopped their direct flights from Perth and from Phuket to Perth. Thought it was even then starting to resemble Bali in some respects, be interested to hear if any others have a similiar opinion particular from those who may have travelled there in the last 2 or so years.
Feel there are much better places to visit in Thailand and SE Asia where there are less Australians and particularly the type that don't know how to behave appropriately when in another country.

Haven't been to Phuket for several years, stopped going when Thai Airways stopped their direct flights from Perth and from Phuket to Perth. Thought it was even then starting to resemble Bali in some respects, be interested to hear if any others have a similiar opinion particular from those who may have travelled there in the last 2 or so years.
Feel there are much better places to visit in Thailand and SE Asia where there are less Australians and particularly the type that don't know how to behave appropriately when in another country.

????Thai still have direct flights to Phuket. The daytime service from Perth flies via Phuket (so its direct to Phuket). And the overnight return from BKK goes via Phuket (so again one can fly direct from Phuket)...

The daytime flight up from Perth has gone Phuket first for, at least, the last 3.5 years ...

Patong remains s**t and the number of Aussie package tourists makes it feel like Kuta ... I.e. s**t ...

The rest of Phuket does have some nice spots if one wants a relaxing getaway resort type holiday.

People who assume that Phuket = Patong are the sane as those who assume Bali = Kuta. Discussions need to be framed with that in mind. Again, if someone just wants Patong then they should head to Pattaya which is a better version of sleaze and nightlife .... But Jetstar, Tiger and Air Asia don't promote Pattaya, so ... :D

????Thai still have direct flights to Phuket. The daytime service from Perth flies via Phuket (so its direct to Phuket). And the overnight return from BKK goes via Phuket (so again one can fly direct from Phuket)...

The daytime flight up from Perth has gone Phuket first for, at least, the last 3.5 years ...

Patong remains s**t and the number of Aussie package tourists makes it feel like Kuta ... I.e. s**t ...

The rest of Phuket does have some nice spots if one wants a relaxing getaway resort type holiday.

People who assume that Phuket = Patong are the sane as those who assume Bali = Kuta. Discussions need to be framed with that in mind. Again, if someone just wants Patong then they should head to Pattaya which is a better version of sleaze and nightlife .... But Jetstar, Tiger and Air Asia don't promote Pattaya, so ... :D

Thai only fly Fri and Sat direct Per-Hkt, same for the return leg...

Thai only fly Fri and Sat direct Per-Hkt, same for the return leg...

And Thursday .... for the last few years but I'm aware the schedule changes this coming Thursday....

But so what, the poster I responded to said there were no direct flights and I simply commented that the "daytime" flights to Bangkok go via Phuket ...

The daytime flights (leaving Perth at 9.10 am) go via Phuket. These currently fly 3 days a week. The evening flights (leaving Perth about 4.40 pm) go direct to BKK. They also run 3 times a week (from memory)...

Given the regularity I fly Perth to BKK (once or twice a month for 4 years), I reckon I'm across the schedules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think your confusing phuket and bangkok!

THU 16FEB12 PERTH /PHUKET *TG
1 PER BKK 0910 1505 TG 484 #330B E
2 HKT 1650 1810 TG 217 #744B E

Just trying to bring facts to the discussion.

I think your confusing phuket and bangkok!

THU 16FEB12 PERTH /PHUKET *TG
1 PER BKK 0910 1505 TG 484 #330B E
2 HKT 1650 1810 TG 217 #744B E

Just trying to bring facts to the discussion.

No, you are not reading my post and, as a result, adding nothing. As you are no doubt aware the schedule is changing this week. On the 16th.

Before that, for basically 3.5 years, there has been a daytime flight from Perth to Bangkok on Thursday, Fridays and Saturdays that goes via Phuket. It leaves Perth at 9.10am and arrives (as recently as last Friday) at 5.25 in BKK after about 2 hours in Phuket.

From this Thursday (the 16th) the schedule changes and there is a direct flight to Bangkok which leaves Perth at 9.10 am (same as the current one via Phuket)... arrives at 3.05pm ....

The current schedule, the schedule from 16 Feb and the schedule from 16 June are all shown at this link:

http://www.thaiairways.com.au/thai_flight_schedules_desc.asp?city=perth#show

Since its all about the facts ... :rolleyes:

None of which alters the fact that the comment I was responding to was incorrect. Ted suggested there have been no direct flights to Phuket for the last couple of years. There have been. I've been on the BKK via Phuket flight (i.e. Perth - Phuket - BKK) on Thursdays/Fridays and Saturdays probably 30 times in the last 3 years ...

But hey, you are the man with the facts ... :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted38

Just to clarify my above post, several years ago Thai Airways flew Pth to Phuket and Phuket to Perth direct and I used to fly there maybe once or twice a year. For some reason or other they decided to cease that service and fly Pth to Phuket via BKK and the same in reverse.
For that reason I ceased to go there, my post wasn't meant to infer that that is the situation today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted38

Just to clarify my above post, several years ago Thai Airways flew Pth to Phuket and Phuket to Perth direct and I used to fly there maybe once or twice a year. For some reason or other they decided to cease that service and fly Pth to Phuket via BKK and the same in reverse.
For that reason I ceased to go there, my post wasn't meant to infer that that is the situation today.

Fair enough Ted. Its certainly been the case that Thai have been flying Perth to Phuket and return (direct) the last few years ...

From 16/2 to 16/6 it appears there are no direct flights again. Then from 16/6 they recommence. I assume thats got something to do low season ....

Phuket/patong is becoming more like bali/kuta but it's nowhere near that bad.

I never plan to visit kuta again unless I'm struggling for money. Patong is way better.

Its true that the sheer volume of bogans from Perth (in particular) isn't quite the same in Patong as Kuta but its still a pretty average holiday spot.

Phuket does have some nice places, its just that Patong isn't one of them.. and again, if its just about getting s**t faced and partying, why go to Patong? The rest of phuket isn't suited to that and Pattaya is way better at the same thing (and is within easy enough driving distance of Bangkok) ...

Kuta is awful and I prefer Thailand, so if my choice was Kuta or Patong, I'd go Patong .. but its the lesser of two evils iMO ...

I've just been roped into going back to Patong. It's reached the point where it's accessible enough that my cousin is having his 21st there! I'll be in the general vicinity so i said i'd get a flight and meet them for a few days.

I'm considering staying at Kammala and just getting a cab in at night, have you stayed at the Ayara Kamala Resort Eagle? Or can you recommend somewhere you've stayed outside but nearby Patong?

Alrighty, i'm heading back in a couple of weeks time and am undecided on whether or not I should stay in Koh Phangan this time or not. Last time we stayed in Koh Samui, where we had an absolutely awesome time, and instead of staying in KP for the Black Moon Party we just took a boat over from KS, and took one back in the early hours of the morning.

The question I pose is:

It worth checking out KP, and staying 3 nights? Or would those 3 nights be better spent in KS. How different is it to KS?

I loved the nightlife at KS, and just by looking at reviews of those hotels still available on the west side of the island in KP, the word is there isn't much to do around there, as it is rather secluded - which as a solo traveller is not what i'm looking for.

I only took in a bit of the nightlife last time I was in KS with a massive group of mates, and missed out on the Ark Bar/Green Mango et. al. which i've heard are crazy good, so I want to maximise my time in KS.

So if I were to drop KP, instead of originally planning on staying in KS for 5 nights, it'd mean i'd be spending 8 nights there in total. (Meaning i'd take the boat across for the Full Moon Party on the 08/03/12)

Any thoughts/recommendations? :thumbsu:

Coral Bungalows is pretty well known

http://www.coralhaadrin.com/index_site.php

They have a massive pool party and as it's a backpacker place you'll have no trouble meeting people.

They are around on the sunset beach, so 10 mins walk from the party.

I haven't stayed there but i've stayed at the resort next door (Phangan Buri) and gone down there for the party and had drinks and had a good time.

As far as how different it is, outside FMP times it's a very sleepy island with lots of yoga/meditation/diving type people and more chilled out vibe than Samui, most of the accomodation places will ask for a minimum 3 or 5 day booking around FMP so it will be busy anyway if you're just staying the days either side.

Coral Bungalows is pretty well known

http://www.coralhaadrin.com/index_site.php

They have a massive pool party and as it's a backpacker place you'll have no trouble meeting people.

They are around on the sunset beach, so 10 mins walk from the party.

I haven't stayed there but i've stayed at the resort next door (Phangan Buri) and gone down there for the party and had drinks and had a good time.

As far as how different it is, outside FMP times it's a very sleepy island with lots of yoga/meditation/diving type people and more chilled out vibe than Samui, most of the accomodation places will ask for a minimum 3 or 5 day booking around FMP so it will be busy anyway if you're just staying the days either side.

Cheers for the info, mate! :thumbsu:

Looks/sounds like an awesome place judging by the website and your description. Only problem is you have to stay a minimum of 5 nights during the period of when a Full Moon party is on, which sucks balls as I would only plan to stay there for 2-3 nights max. Are there any similar places to this one on KP? Given that, I might just stay in Koh Samui and hit up the Ark Bar/Green Mango in the days leading up to the FMP.

Are there any backpacker places that hold parties in KS, or is it just worth heading to Ark Bar/Green Mango for the main parties? :confused:

BTW, to those who have stayed on or know much about Phi Phi, where abouts are the best places to stay for a early 20's solo traveller? Last year when I went with mates we didn't do enough research and stayed at the top of the island, unbeknownst to us that the resort we were staying in was rather secluded.

This time around i'm looking to get out and enjoy the nightlife. I was told by a local that the south of the island is where most of the activity is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back