Varcoe or Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Varcoe should be the better player but he has kept teasing for a few years now, playing like dynamite a few weeks and then fading away.

While he stagnates Garlett kicked 17 more goals while playing 24 games apiece. I am not giving up hope on Varcoe's potential in the years to come but for now I have to be honest and side with those 17 additional goals, so Garlett for me.

Garlett doesn't do anything in big games. Or even games where things don't go Carlton's way.

What do you base this on exactly? Garlett scored 5.3 & had 3 goal assists in his two finals last year - both above his H&A average. The year before he had four shots on goal for 2.2 in Carlton's only final and had his last kick in the dying seconds been half a metre to the left, it would have been the match winning goal. Furthermore, from Garlett's top 10 performances according to Champion Data last season, 3 of them came in losses out of a total 7 Carlton lost matches, so ...

There are cliches in footy - goes missing in big games, doesn't win enough hardball, has poor disposal - and some posters it seems, just rattle these off in hope, or are you just basing your comment on last year's WB Carlton match?

As for the OP, I'm going with Garlett on output. I think Varcoe has greater potential to impact around the ground, which could well elevate him above Jeffy; but as at right now, Garlett has been delivering more consistently on the scoreboard in a structurally challenged forward-line, he's a better mark and provides more defensive pressure on the ball coming out. Hard to go past him.

Varcoe by a fair way. Anyone who watched the GF last year will agree.

And for those who watched all the other games too??? :cool:

Fair enough anyone preferring Varcoe, but damn if I don't find some posters' reasoning just ridiculous. I think most of those who voted so far watched last years GF and quite a few don't agree with you yeah?

And for those who watched all the other games too??? :cool:

Fair enough anyone preferring Varcoe, but damn if I don't find some posters' reasoning just ridiculous. I think most of those who voted so far watched last years GF and quite a few don't agree with you yeah?

Varcoe does it both ways can play midfield well and is more than your simple goal sneak. I dont mind Garlett just think Varcoe offers far more.

As for the posters that dont agree a coulple of them are Hawthorn posters who dont rate Bartal.:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Varcoe does it both ways can play midfield well and is more than your simple goal sneak.

I'd say Jeffy is more than "your simple goal sneak" as well, but I don't disagree with your point of Varcoe's up the ground ability and have addressed that in an earlier post in this thread. It's consistency that brings Varcoe back into it IMO.

My point regarding your post is that giving such hefty weightings to one game is just ridiculous and that there are plenty who would have watched that same game, but rate Garlett higher based on all the other games they've seen too.

Garlett doesn't do anything in big games. Or even games where things don't go Carlton's way.

Will never see him put in a Varcoe-like grand final performance.

Pretty stunning statement.

2011 Semi v WCE: 9 touches, 2.1, 5 tackles
2011 Elimination v Essendon: 16 touches, 3.2, 4 tackles
2010 Elimination v Sydney: 16 touches, 2.2, 2 tackles
2009 Elimination v Brisbane: 6 touches, 1 goal, 2 tackles

Only one average game there (which was his first year). Small forwards don't get 30 touches a game....

Jeff will continue improving. Best true small forward in the AFL.

Only one average game there (which was his first year). Small forwards don't get 30 touches a game....

Garlet isn't even the best small forward at Carlton let alone the league.

[youtube]kGASMeHhLKw[/youtube]

Varcoe is such an important player to us. He may not kick too many goals or get too many touches, but he does so much running and he contests almost everything. He's always there to kick to.

The above video is an example. I'm fascinated. I never rated him too highly, but after analysing some videos (including the above) I adore him.

Garlett's super, never needed an explanation, and I don't think I can split them

Garlett doesn't come close right now. Potential means little once you get to the top level, and right now Varcoe is a long way ahead..

Varcoe does it both ways can play midfield well and is more than your simple goal sneak. I dont mind Garlett just think Varcoe offers far more.

As for the posters that dont agree a coulple of them are Hawthorn posters who dont rate Bartal.:eek:

I think there fairly even at this stage of there careers, but i'd give the nod to Varcoe because he's played some decent games in the midfield and half back. Garlett is the better forward though. Probably too close to call in all seriousness but i think Varcoe will end up the better player when there careers are over.

Garlett - double the tackles, almost double the goals. Varcoe doesn't work hard enough and relies on uncontested ball too often to ever become as consistent as Garlett.

Varcoe's workrate is as phenomenal as it is underrated - haven't seen Garlett run end to end, touching the ball several times to kick a crucial goal - and I'm not only talking about his GF goal either, he did pretty much the same thing in round 5 against Hawthorn. Still doesn't have the consistency I'll admit but not sure Garlett quite has it either.

Maybe I'm biased, I rate both but I'm surprised anyone would honestly think Garlett is better. Varcoe is fitter, stronger and more versatile without a doubt, and they're both very skilled but I'd think Trav is a bit ahead. Garlett is more deadly in front of goals. If Varcoe was as confident as he is skilled, he'd be an elite midfielder. But I can't remember him ever lasting a whole preseason and I suspect that hurts a guy's confidence and consistency - it just makes it more surprising his gut running in 2011.

As opposed to Varcoe's last 4 finals.

2010 preliminary final v Collingwood (we were thrashed, most of our players were crap):19 touches, 4 marks, *2 goals, 3 tackles, 5 inside 50s

2011 qualifying final v Hawthorn:
7 touches, 1 behind, 1 tackle, 1 goal assist, 5 inside 50s

2011 preliminary final v WC: 12 touches, 3 marks, 2 goals, 2 behinds, 1 tackle, 1 inside 50

2011 GF v Collingwood: 21 touches, 3 marks, 3 goals, 1 tackle, 2 inside 50s

All that and a whole lot of hard running.

PS, I'd consider Garlett's last final to be pretty average.

And since when are Milne or Chapman not "true small forwards"? There is no such term. Selective much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back