Which up & coming Victorian club will be next to win a flag?

Next "young" Vic club to win a flag will be.....?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Stan Darsh

Team Captain
May 29, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wells averaged 23.5 touches from round 1-17. He was very impressive, but don't get carried away.

Stanton came back from injury (which he played through in the first part of the year) in round 13 and from then on he averaged ~28 touches - with the fewest being 21 - and kicked a goal a game.

An average of 25 disposals from round 1-17 actually.

In their form periods Wells had more clearances, higher disposal efficiency, contested possessions, less clangers. Doing it in more games. Stanton had a good season, but didn't have the influence of Wells' first 2/3's of the season.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like the look of Richmond the most out of those teams. There list in general hasn't got great bottom end talent, but most of there top end talent ala Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin, Vickery, are relatively young, and have plenty of time to correct this with continued good drafting. I see them challening in 4 or so years.

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
An average of 25 disposals from round 1-17 actually.

In their form periods Wells had more clearances, higher disposal efficiency, contested possessions, less clangers. Doing it in more games. Stanton had a good season, but didn't have the influence of Wells' first 2/3's of the season.

Oops! I was wrong.

Let's not forget in Wells' last half a dozen games of the season he had a bung shoulder and was struggling to breath with blood clots in both lungs. He only averaged 18 possessions during that period, went out of the coaches association top 3 and lost a place in the All Australian midfield.

Prior to that the least possies in a game from him was 18! In bloody inclement conditions up in Brisbane. It was an immense first 2/3 of the season, way better than anything Stanton has ever done.

Why lie? Wells formed those blood clots following surgery, he was not playing with them. Also lets not forget that Stanton played through the middle of the season with a fractured shoulder.

Stop making Wells out to be superman.

Stan Darsh

Team Captain
May 29, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why lie? Wells formed those blood clots following surgery, he was not playing with them. Also lets not forget that Stanton played through the middle of the season with a fractured shoulder.

Stop making Wells out to be superman.

Not lying Mate. He was feeling shortness of breath and chest pains during matches in the latter part of the season. I don't believe the clots appeared following the surgery.

A lot of articles put the clots down to post surgery complications, but I can clearly remember wells saying that he felt short of breath during the last few weeks, and then reflecting on what might have occurred had we beat St.Kilda and he then continued to play rather than opt out for early surgery.

I can't find the article though.

Anyway, as you were...

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
Let's not forget in Wells' last half a dozen games of the season he had a bung shoulder and was struggling to breath with blood clots in both lungs. He only averaged 18 possessions during that period, went out of the coaches association top 3 and lost a place in the All Australian midfield.
Stanton had a cracked shoulder blade that he clearly was battling with through a month or so there, culminating in getting subbed out & having a week off to rest it
No-one should ignore either injury, but the fact is Wells has ALWAYS struggled to put consistent seasons together - for whatever reason, often injury, and Stanton has put together consistent seasons for the last 4-5 years.
I think people are far too quick to write that sort of consistent solid form off.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wells was never going to be in the AA team
I would argue Stantons second half of the season was just as good as wells first half

So why didn't Stanton make the AA squad or finish in the top 10 in the coaches vote? My tip is that the AA selectors as well as James Hird viewed Stanton's performance differently to you.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A lot of articles put the clots down to post surgery complications, but I can clearly remember wells saying that he felt short of breath during the last few weeks, and then reflecting on what might have occurred had we beat St.Kilda and he then continued to play rather than opt out for early surgery.

I can't find the article though.

Anyway, as you were...
I remember the same OE. The clots were there in the weeks leading up to the surgery, leading to Wells feeling fatigued and short of breath late in games towards the back end of the season. Only after he couched up blood after the surgery were they detected.

EDIT: http://www.kangaroos.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4912/newsid/123726/default.aspx

Wells said his doctors had not been able to pinpoint the cause of the blood clots, but believed that they had developed over the last six to eight rounds of the season.

Wells said in some of those games he felt "a bit funny" but dismissed it as nothing more than fatigue at the end of a long season.

"I didn't really feel anything that was shouting out to me, saying, 'Something's wrong'," Wells said.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone really believe Wells had a top 10 in the league season?

Honest question.
I would've had him about ~30th off last year. Stanton ~35 or thereabouts.

I would not have Stanton anywhere near a top 50 list - let alone 35!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone really believe Wells had a top 10 in the league season?

Honest question.
I would've had him about ~30th off last year. Stanton ~35 or thereabouts.

I like Aussie Guns 2011 top 50 - one of the fairest - unbiased posters on big footy.

Wells - 21st
Stanton - no where to be seen.:eek:

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
I like Aussie Guns 2011 top 50 - one of the fairest - unbiased posters on big footy.

Wells - 21st
Stanton - no where to be seen.:eek:
The one where he couldn't actually say much about the last half of the year, because - as AG admitted - he hadn't been watching all that much football?
Fairest or least biased doesn't mean he had much of a clue what he was on about.

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Stanton was on the AA list the other year, and 2011 is his best year yet.

The AA extended list is like Mikes Top 50, depends on who is on the committee and what games they've seen that year.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stanton was on the AA list the other year, and 2011 is his best year yet.

The AA extended list is like Mikes Top 50, depends on who is on the committee and what games they've seen that year.

Which year did Stanton make the AA squad?

As much as people pay out on Mike he watches more games and speaks to more people in the know than 99.9% of people on big footy. Left Stanton off the top 50 list as well.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
WTF when did Stanton make the AA squad.

No way was he anywhere near the top 50 players last year....some delusional supporters out there.

slimdusty4

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
ManU, UNC, Knicks, NYRangers, Yanks
Stanton's vastly under-rated. Still.
He's Essendon's 2nd or 3rd best; would be Melbourne's best, North's 2nd best and Richmond's 3rd best midfielder. Year in, year out.
Cue "oh but X, Y, Z will all be better, in year 2XYZ... elite yabber yabber Boooed blah blah".
How he gets constantly over-looked baffles me, but generally tells you who is and who isn't worth listening to - and who is merely going off 2nd hand opinions.

Very good player is very good; and very much closer to "elite" than 95% of the league.
cotchin
martin
deledio
foley
then id have stanton, over houli jackson and others as midfielder.

but yes slightly underrated

Bundy_28

Senior List
Suspended
Feb 26, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong's under 21 side that will play the Gold Coast this Friday night has a better chance of winning a premiership before these teams ;)

just saying......don't get your hopes up

Back