Roast Poor Attitude During Nab Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Cats and Pies to slide out of eight, to be replaced by Crows and the Tiges.

Our three issues thus far are injuries, game plan and depth.

Did people want us to bust a blood vessel over the NAB Cup with a full squad and risk further injury to senior players. A Pyrrhic victory to try and win the NAB Cup?

Not only would a full squad going at full tilt have risked more injuries, it would have robbed us of the opportunity to put the juniors feet to the fire. There's no better learning curve than to get our youngsters playing teams fielding full lists. It's undoubtedly been a good, steady schooling for them all and some have shown good glimpses. If we want depth, that's got to come from senior experience.

And of course if we are tweaking the game plan, we need to start in the NAB Cup so we can see what works and what doesn't and adjusting accordingly. Is the H&A season the time to start, or right now? And I think we do need some fine-tuning because I think we were getting found out by Hawks and definitely by Cats last year. You need more tactical flexibility so we can win in different ways.

I for one and very glad we have taken this approach to the season.

Looks like Cats and Pies to slide out of eight, to be replaced by Crows and the Tiges.

Our three issues thus far are injuries, game plan and depth.

Did people want us to bust a blood vessel over the NAB Cup with a full squad and risk further injury to senior players. A Pyrrhic victory to try and win the NAB Cup?

Not only would a full squad going at full tilt have risked more injuries, it would have robbed us of the opportunity to put the juniors feet to the fire. There's no better learning curve than to get our youngsters playing teams fielding full lists. It's undoubtedly been a good, steady schooling for them all and some have shown good glimpses. If we want depth, that's got to come from senior experience.

And of course if we are tweaking the game plan, we need to start in the NAB Cup so we can see what works and what doesn't and adjusting accordingly. Is the H&A season the time to start, or right now? And I think we do need some fine-tuning because I think we were getting found out by Hawks and definitely by Cats last year. You need more tactical flexibility so we can win in different ways.

I for one and very glad we have taken this approach to the season.

Here here Spicey! Not only has our approach been justifiable but it is totally sensible when all is considered. Our performance was actually very encouraging for a half of footy considering the team we were fielding. The capitulation was frustrating more than it was worrying.

The other thing to say is that not only are we trying new tactics but the young players are still learning the structures. That has knock-on effects for the senior players when people are perhaps not positioned where they should be. Still, an ounce of practice versus a pound of theory = good.

I think we really need to fast-track our kids owing to two seasons in a row of big player turnover (@26 players in two years, many seniors). There is no better way to achieve this than getting the kids playing senior players.

And whoever mentioned the kids running out of puff, are quite right, especially with the 2/2 bollocks. It doesn't favour young players without years of pre-seasons under their belts to run out the game. GC last year had a smaller supporting cast of senior players - Ablett, Bock, Brennan, Rischitelli, Stanley, Harris, Brown, Harbrow, Fraser - but had some very top end talent kids. Was last nights team much different - a few more senior players not expected to blow themselves up, but less of the top end talent GC had.

No cause for alarm.

I'll also add that if we lose to Hawthorn, I won't be devo in the least. Our season has had some injury hiccups, but I'm interested in the long-term prognosis.

Rather field kids during the nab cup , than come away with a 5 goal win and 2 injuries to our starting 22 .

Ask yourselves whats important, winning preason games isnt

Preserving your stars for a 24 round assault at the flag plus finals is.

get over yourselves you pathetic whingers

premierships arent won or lost in the preason cup

So Blessed what's your thoughts about Geelong after a 59 point hammering by Richmond down at Handbagger island?

Gone like the pies or just NAB game playing kids?

Hawks looking alright.

Follow the form

Hawthorn to be 2-0 after Round 2 with Pies and Cats scalps.

They are very good side and may well beat us in Round 1. But that doesn't mean those saying the NAB cup doesn't mean a lot will be wrong, and those bemoaning everything about our performance will get to say I told you so, even though they're cleanly positioning themselves to do that. We'll just be beaten by arguably the best team going with a whole season to sort out how to beat them at the other end.

Hawks looking alright.

Follow the form

Hawthorn to be 2-0 after Round 2 with Pies and Cats scalps.

Nup. Possibly Pies but Geelong just own Hawthorn. It's a mental thing with them. Hawthorn just don't trully believe they can beat the Cats.

It'll be another close game for 3 quarters but whent he chips are on the table Geelong come through. Hawthorn got kissed on the **** by an angel in the 2008 GF. They should thank their lucky stars everyday for that day. 22 behinds :eek:

Just on Carlton, how did they not score in that second half? Not even a rushed behind, nothing. Pretty amazing.

I thought they where Coming? That was even with Judd:eek:

Guys I never said we would not win the Flag as I think we still can - I was saying we could Struggle early in the Season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what a slow pressure cooker is, but if that is what Bucks is going with and it works I'm all for it ;)

as long as we don't have to play West Coast or Freo over there in the finals.

That is the risk you take if you don't finish top 2.

And if we start slowly, that might happen.

as long as we don't have to play West Coast or Freo over there in the finals.

That is the risk you take if you don't finish top 2.

And if we start slowly, that might happen.

I can't see Freo making top 2 but Eagles could and that would be a Tough Game in the Finals

We haven't been thrashed by 59 points by anyone other than Geelong for a long time.

This is real boys.

This is a team without any structure or ideas.

You can't just turn it on.

We are terrible.

FFS.

Glad people here aren't coaches.

The point of this NAB cup is about the youngsters. It's about showing them the gap between AFL footballers and themselves and how much work there needs to be done.

This is a very, very good and positive for the young team. A fantastic move by Bucks. To single players out for a prime example, it's giving Keefe valuable experience and showing Fasolo how far away from being a real AFL footballer he really is in his early career. The whole team around the NAB cup is designed for this purpose.

For Swanny, Jolly and other seniors etc.. it's just a training session.

Can't believe people are sounding alarm bells - it's hilarious.

Although it's not without flaws, the only real problem highlighting the teams weakness this year (and has been a flaw for a while now), is the delivery to the forwards. Bombing it in to teams this year will not cut it. Hopefully though this is only because of the young inexperienced team and not something that will continue through the H&A season.

TLDR: NAB cup this year, like Geelong, is to develop a huge list. It's not about Gameplan yet - just giving individual players experience and seniors a hit out.

Expect the real stuff to start later.

Nathan Buckley said:
The only positive that I can take out of it is we have exposed a further depth in our list to what AFL football looks and feels like, albeit in a pre-season format.

Haven't really read the whole thread but in regards to the title, i don't see why we should have to go into the NAB Cup with the idea of winning it. It is an opportunity for us to blood our young players and get some game time into those who need it.

Geelong's kids the other day all stood up.

Our youngsters look like they have no structure or ideas.

Geelong were flogged by 10 goals on their own dung heap.....

No surprises that teams with nothing to prove/gain throw up a couple of ordinary nab cup performances.

Some of the reactions in this thread are laughable.

I have found the NAB Cup rather interesting it must be said.

There are five senior players whom i have been wrapt in it must be said.

Ben Reid - has shown me that he looks fully recovered from last year/Bali shoulder injury. His attack on at the contest, strong marking and pin point long kicks have been an absolute highlight imo - go Benny:thumbsu:

Steele Sidebottom - has been a standout drifting down the field, looks tohave picked up a yard of pace, maybe half a yard and his tackling is mighty. I fully expect him to integrate into the mid rotations this season - am very up beat about him.

Luke Ball - his role in and under is sooo important to us as i was reminded by the Crows game - just a magnificent competitor.

Daisy Thomas - from what i've seen he can step it up again so exciting around the ground - plays that wing role so well.

Heath Shaw - brilliant PS so far looks set for a huge year to offset last season's disapointments.

I did hope to see more from the likes of Cam Wood and Nate Brown.

Losing the rebound from Leon could easily be covered by Sidey and Reid.

Steele Sidebottom seemed to lift his work rate in the second half of the Crows game, but I haven't been impressed with him since 2010.

Seems to double grab regularly and often seems happy to float. I know MM had him as a defensive half forward for a lot of '11, but I was disappointed with more than just his stat count last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back