Tavelling to New Zealand

My mum is going on holiday to New Zealand next month and would like a couple of questions answered.

1. what to do about mobile phone, we've heard it's really expensive to make (and recieve) calls, is there a cheaper way to do it? she has a Telstra pre paid phone. I've heard of international calling cards - anybody used one or know of a good one to use?

2. where to get money exchanged, she's been told not to do it at hotels as they add a fairly high surcharge.

thanks for any input.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
My mum is going on holiday to New Zealand next month and would like a couple of questions answered.

1. what to do about mobile phone, we've heard it's really expensive to make (and recieve) calls, is there a cheaper way to do it? she has a Telstra pre paid phone. I've heard of international calling cards - anybody used one or know of a good one to use?

2. where to get money exchanged, she's been told not to do it at hotels as they add a fairly high surcharge.

thanks for any input.

Baz,

I have international roaming on my mobile for those "just in case calls" as it can get expensive to make a call. I only needed it really in 2010 when I went to Malaysia and only made two text msges which were "how are the dogs?" to my dog sitters. If you or your mum are concerned maybe she can give you or someone a copy of her itinerary with phone numbers where she is staying in case it's urgent. Any time I've been away and have to make a "local" call, e.g. ring tour guide in Phuket, I just use the resort/hotel room phone. Not a great expense. She can get an adaptor at any travel shop or even newsagent for charging things like mobiles, blow dryers etc (though if she is staying in a hotel wouldn't need a dryer). Or shouldn 't need one.

As for money, they have ATM's in Noo Zuland. Try to avoid hotels as there is a fee but if she's desperate will have to use them. That is if she's taking a debit/credit card. Personally, depending on the country and how much I can get for my Aussie dollar, I usually like to have in local currency the equivalent of say no more than A$200.00 cash on me at a time. I NEVER pay for anything in another country on my credit/debit card. You can get a special debit card, can't remember the name of the organisation stuff it, through a bank here in Oz where you credit your spending money. Cashex or something like that. It's the same principle as a Debit Card.

Good luck to Mrs Baz and have a good time and don't worry about anything.

FYI wool goods in NZ are EXPENSIVE, go figure.:eek:

You can get a special debit card, can't remember the name of the organisation stuff it, through a bank here in Oz where you credit your spending money. Cashex or something like that. It's the same principle as a Debit Card.

Yes Gab, we used them throughout Europe and the US on recent trips.

Here 'tis - http://www.cashpassport.com/1/en/au/

new-zealand-sheep-760830.jpg

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne

thanks for any input.

SB..all the banks here in NZ are Aussie owned so you can just use your normal money card here.

PS April is the best time to vist Nu Zeelund too.The scenery is spectacular in the Autumn

she'll have a great time !..Hopefully it will stop raining here soon for her

SB..all the banks here in NZ are Aussie owned so you can just use your normal money card here.

PS April is the best time to vist Nu Zeelund too.The scenery is spectacular in the Autumn

she'll have a great time !..Hopefully it will stop raining here soon for her

Mum called from Niw Zilund on Friday night, has a whole new group of noisy friends, is having a fantastic time, scenery fantastic, food fantastic, wine fantastic:rolleyes:. We are really proud of her, this is her first time overseas and she's on her own since Dad passed away in 2008. Go Mum!!

Back