Online Poker Content/HH thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ostensibly this seems like a much better, and more equitable system.

its def more equal but was handled terribly by stars, leaving players in the dark up until a couple of days ago.

Its now a new year and everything is back at zero, looking to have a decent grinding this year at PLO. I might have gotten my 10k hands today but not sure, was playing on a different computer so I could get to Gold Star for next month, made it with 8 minutes to go lol.

I think the main issue a lot of people had was the theory that if the points are being spread out from the SNE's to the low volume grinders, the VPPs would be worth a lot less (i.e each VPP point means more to a SNE in value compared to a BronzeStar like myself who plays maybe 10 hands a year) with that money going into the pockets of Stars.

I think a lot of professionals have to realise that it isnt PokerStars job to help you grind a living. They are a business who's aim is to do what is best for their company and owners. While we have the right to vote with our action elsewhere, fact is PokerStars treats their players very well relative to the competition (see the aftermath of Black Friday) and as such I dont see this as a MASSIVE problem people are making out.

As HAD said this issue hits the 24 tabling breakeven nits the most, and personally seeing them hit is the best as it may take a lot of those people out of the market, leaving games with more action and better games in general.

I say all of this though as a live player who plays SFA online to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think the main issue a lot of people had was the theory that if the points are being spread out from the SNE's to the low volume grinders, the VPPs would be worth a lot less (i.e each VPP point means more to a SNE in value compared to a BronzeStar like myself who plays maybe 10 hands a year) with that money going into the pockets of Stars.

I think a lot of professionals have to realise that it isnt PokerStars job to help you grind a living. They are a business who's aim is to do what is best for their company and owners. While we have the right to vote with our action elsewhere, fact is PokerStars treats their players very well relative to the competition (see the aftermath of Black Friday) and as such I dont see this as a MASSIVE problem people are making out.

As HAD said this issue hits the 24 tabling breakeven nits the most, and personally seeing them hit is the best as it may take a lot of those people out of the market, leaving games with more action and better games in general.

I say all of this though as a live player who plays SFA online to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Well put. A lot of those 24 tabling breakeven nits are easy money for better players, but the fish find it really hard against them. They drive fish away from games, because they don't give action unless they have the nuts. Pokerstars are doing everyone a favour driving these people away from the site imo.

The other thing about the raising the rake thing...

If the rake rises to a point where a percentage of the playing population decides that it is no longer worth it to play, the expected winrate pre-rake will go up as the small winners leave the eco-system. The gap between the winners and the losers will grow (like it has live with plenty of winners leaving to do other things, meaning that a game with a small change will not become "unbeatable" like many claim.

I have been beating the Burswood 2/5 pretty well since the 2/3 was basically killed off, which is a 300max 60bb 10% capped at $15 which if you asked any online player would consider unbeatable.

However, because it is a tough game to beat with only a small % of players being winners, most of the "pros" whos winrates dropped significantly with rake changes gave it up and got real jobs, allowing the relative skill between me and the field to be quite large.

There are players who were better then me who quit, not because they werent as good as me but they werent willing to accept a winrate that I have, or adjust to the game as it changed, or push enough small edges. This elimination of the player pool greatly helped my winrate compared to if it was say, a 5% capped at $5 game where a lot of decent players would keep playing.

2+2 is going into meltdown about the new rakeback system. Every breakeven, 10 VPIP fish thinks it is Stars duty to provide them a living despite the fact they are not good enough to actually beat the game :eek: Major lulz.

2+2 is going into meltdown about the new rakeback system. Every breakeven, 10 VPIP fish thinks it is Stars duty to provide them a living despite the fact they are not good enough to actually beat the game :eek: Major lulz.

yeah its caused a major reaction

while its fairer, we are still paying for it. How much has your VPP/hand changed? Has it gone up because you're a loose player?

I'm at 23VPIP since the new year and am down roughly 20% on VPPs, so while I think it is funny how the SNEs think its stars duty to pay them through an unfair system, I also hate that I am losing RB as well...

Havent quite got 10k hands yet, but very close. I have moved up to 50PLO though for no real reason, I just did it and have done ok for the first 2k hands ($18 up while -3buyin under EV so it could be worse)

Going back to your previous points on 50PLO being a decent jump and the players are fundementally sound, while I take it on board I also think theres quite a number of fish. With the new WC system it will hopefully kill of short stacks. I think I've faired ok in the first 2k hands but obv a long way to go before a decent sample but it doesnt appear to be super hard

Anyway time will tell I guess, gl at the tables and I hope stars organise some form of compensation :)

Happy hour is currently at a decent time for us at 8pm for an extra 50% loading on VPP/FPPs

yeah its caused a major reaction

while its fairer, we are still paying for it. How much has your VPP/hand changed? Has it gone up because you're a loose player?

I'm at 23VPIP since the new year and am down roughly 20% on VPPs, so while I think it is funny how the SNEs think its stars duty to pay them through an unfair system, I also hate that I am losing RB as well...

Havent quite got 10k hands yet, but very close. I have moved up to 50PLO though for no real reason, I just did it and have done ok for the first 2k hands ($18 up while -3buyin under EV so it could be worse)

Going back to your previous points on 50PLO being a decent jump and the players are fundementally sound, while I take it on board I also think theres quite a number of fish. With the new WC system it will hopefully kill of short stacks. I think I've faired ok in the first 2k hands but obv a long way to go before a decent sample but it doesnt appear to be super hard

Anyway time will tell I guess, gl at the tables and I hope stars organise some form of compensation :)

Happy hour is currently at a decent time for us at 8pm for an extra 50% loading on VPP/FPPs

My VPPS are about the same as before, it hasn't really made a difference to me tbh. Yeah 50PLO is very beatable, but imo is a pretty big jump from 25PLO. Once you reach 100PLO and 200PLO it's tough.

Shortstacks are a pain in the arse. At NLHE most of them are ordinary players and obviously use hand charts. If you having trouble with them constantly, take a day or so to learn about SSers range and figure out ways to exploit them. You can find heaps of info on 2+2 about them.

Yes 8p.m happy hours are good!

I've seen 116k hands of 200, 400, 600 & 1000 NLHE in 34 days, and despite being 22 buy ins below ev over the last 116k hands, I feel like I'm going ok. I am up 72 buy ins.

To be honest, really cbf with online poker atm, and am really having to force myself to play when I don't want to. I want to play more live poker this year, and cut down my online play in half. No more 100k hands a month as it's just ****ing exhausting. Anyway, he is my graph.

6627880311_138e35e1c9_b.jpg

To be honest, really cbf with online poker atm, and am really having to force myself to play when I don't want to. I want to play more live poker this year, and cut down my online play in half. No more 100k hands a month as it's just ****ing exhausting. Anyway, he is my graph.

I felt a lot like this after BF when I was tourny grinding pretty hard, just completely lost interest and started grinding live 2/5, now got back into the online groove with PLO so I guess I'll play until burnt out

I'd love to get to supernova if I can last, not really sure why but I guess concierge service would be good

Will play a couple of Aussie Millions event which will probs reignite the live flame but we'll see I guess. Told myself I'd travel with some ANZPT events but going to be hard finding the time

So anyway, back the online grind I guess. HEM is stuffing up again but just put a in a 800 hand session to be 3 buyins up and ran bad in a couple of spots so overall happy

I felt a lot like this after BF when I was tourny grinding pretty hard

I have never understood how anyone who values their sanity can grind MTTs online. Variance is massive, and have read it can take 50k tourneys to get close to an accurate winrate. Sick, sick individuals imo ;)

Speaking of sick individuals, I was running putrid today and am now 44 buy ins below ev in a month and a bit. So in all my wisdom I decided to go let off some steam and play a few stt 6-max hyper-turbos. I told myself I would only play a few and then go back to grinding cash games. Four hours later, I have payed just over 150 of them :eek: How addictive are they :)

My ROI over this very small sample of 154 is 34% so I am obv running like god and then some in them. Shame they are only $7 or $30 a pop eh. Oh well tilt is gone and now have new addiction to **** shove-fests :D

Yeah back to that original point, how can anyone grind MTTs? I have only played about 800 MTTs over the last 4 years, and try and steer clear of them. I had a big score on Full Tilt in a razz tourney in the FTOPS back in 2009 when I finished third, but then went on life tilt after min-cashing with alarming regularity over the next month. Suckout after suckout after suckout. I just couldn't handle grindng an MTT for 7 hours, playing perfectly and then getting into the money. Only to have some fish from Belarus hit a 2 outer in a 300bb pot, and winning a pissy $88 for 6 hours work. Tourneys really do disgust me :mad:

Heh, I don't really get how ppl can enjoy cash games, gets super boring for me after like 20mins. But yeh, getting 2 outted or coolered for huge amounts equity deep in big tournaments is pretty rage inducing at times. I think most mtters just prefer having that prize at the end to motivate them and I think a lot them if they were playing cash regularly would just tool out a bunch and dump a lot of money. I lived in a grindhouse in Malta for a few months late in 2010 with a few other guys who were cash players and it was pretty funny to hear them rage really hard when they would get deep in something and bust or bubbling stuff.

Different strokes for different folks I guess is what it comes down to.

I lived in a grindhouse in Malta for a few months late in 2010 with a few other guys who were cash players and it was pretty funny to hear them rage really hard when they would get deep in something and bust or bubbling stuff.

Different strokes for different folks I guess is what it comes down to.

It is a strange thing, as I can run 50 buy ins below ev in a month playing cash games, and not get that wound up about it. It often will not affect my game at all. However, if I bubble, or min cash a few times in a tourney, I fly into a rage and start punching the bed, screaming at the monitor etc etc. Tourneys tilt the hell out of me, yet I can ran putrid over 12 hours, 12 tabling cash games and still smile. Go figure :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tourney grinding is like the rock n roll of poker imo

While the variance is huge, there is still quite a bit of money to be made, plus the travelling/lifestyle of a tourney grinder can offer a lot imo (PCA, Aussie Millions and WSOP etc)

IMO I just enjoy them a lot more, but putting in the volume is to hard for me. The BR required is huge as well. Spending a year on the tourney circuit would be a s**t load of fun though

About 200 hands short of my 25PLO goal, so I'll post final graph soon(currently 2.5bi down, so hope to get up before then)

Almost walked back into the poker room today at Crown but couldnt do it, just dont have the motivation.

STTs are the real devil in poker imo lol dont know who you could squeeze out 150 of them

If tourney grinding is the rock and roll, then those STT hyper turbos that HAD mentioned are the crack of poker. I played a few one night as well, I was killing time before getting picked up for a flight to Adelaide and yeah, playing push fold can be quite fun.

It is a strange thing, as I can run 50 buy ins below ev in a month playing cash games, and not get that wound up about it. It often will not affect my game at all. However, if I bubble, or min cash a few times in a tourney, I fly into a rage and start punching the bed, screaming at the monitor etc etc. Tourneys tilt the hell out of me, yet I can ran putrid over 12 hours, 12 tabling cash games and still smile. Go figure :)

Yeah, similar thing. I have played exactly one online tournament in the last 6 months (Big Sunday Mill a few weeks ago) and losing with Aces to mincash when I had around $1500 more of equity was lame and easily the most infuriating thing of the entire last year of poker including plenty of individual live sessions and hands losing more then that.

Though talking about what tilts people there was one night in particular at Burswood that was funny. I had a $10 prop bet with a reg at the table on first goal of some random soccer match, and swore when I lost the prop, despite being up around $1.5k at the time lol.

If tourney grinding is the rock and roll, then those STT hyper turbos that HAD mentioned are the crack of poker. I played a few one night as well, I was killing time before getting picked up for a flight to Adelaide and yeah, playing push fold can be quite fun.

Yeah, similar thing. I have played exactly one online tournament in the last 6 months (Big Sunday Mill a few weeks ago) and losing with Aces to mincash when I had around $1500 more of equity was lame and easily the most infuriating thing of the entire last year of poker including plenty of individual live sessions and hands losing more then that.

Though talking about what tilts people there was one night in particular at Burswood that was funny. I had a $10 prop bet with a reg at the table on first goal of some random soccer match, and swore when I lost the prop, despite being up around $1.5k at the time lol.

Those stt hypers are as addictive as drugs, I swear! :) I gotta stop playing them though, as I know they are swingy as hell, and my doomswitch is due to be hit anytime now.

Re: the soccer match, I can relate ;)

Is there anyone on here who is playing STT's for a living? Atm I am playing the $15 18mans after transitioning from 9mans. The games have been pretty soft so far this year :) Thinking of talking some strat 18/45/180's.
pm if interested!

Im a former 180s guy and have a few players that play up to the 200s in the 18s and you will find the step up from $15s to $30s is a pretty huge leap in standard plus the fact a 30/18 is tougher than a 200!!

Yeah, 30's are pretty reg infested :( Do you still play sngs?
I am quite a heater in 18 mans this month!

Nah don't really play anymore have a stable of just over 60 players that I run so looking after them take up most of my time. Learning Hypers myself at the moment so that I have a game to play when bored but 18's during our 4-10pm time is probably the best time to play them but the volume would suck and most likely need to add in $7s

I played the $6million guarantee Sunday Million last night, did terribly

Also played ~20 other tournaments ranging from $11-$75, and busted all but one, which happened to be a mincash in the smallest tournament I played that day.

I bubbled a few of those $10+1 sattys to the Warm-Up and Million, and ran AK into AA about 3 separate times. Also, a bunch of hilarious hands where the CO would either open or just jam in a folded pot, I would call or ship it with AQ and he ALWAYS had AK. I think that happened four or 5 times as well.

Some interesting hands from various tournaments that I played, that came from my facebook updates.

UPDATE: In a normal MMT satty, face a CO shove for 9bb effective, and call BB with AJs. He has AK, I fistpump J turn, until I realise flop was QQT lol...

Also, HH converter is busted on 2+2 so I will just give cliffnotes

1) I lose a AQ vs AK hand to leave myself 1.7bbs in the SB in an ante'd tournament

Folds to me, I shove 65o, and get the BB to fold

2) Someone opens to 3x, a call, I make it 10x from the BB with KK. Initial raiser folds, caller backjams for either 75x or 100x. I call and lose to AQ.

3) Someone opens to 2.3x, about 3 callers, I jam in for 18x, initial raiser shoves for around 45x, rest fold. My 88 holds against T2s

That sucks ash, I find it amazing the amount of times I have AQ or AJ, I always tend to run into AK on pokerstars but that's just the way it is.

Am glad I had to work yesterday, otherwise I probably would of given the 6 Million a go, and that probably wouldn't of woredk out well, haha. It ended up being a 8 way deal at the final given all the money in play, I think a New Zealander came 3rd (and cashed about 500k) while I read another player's biggest cash before that deal was $13, nice step-up.

Very much looking forward to the MicroMillions, good to have a series for the low stakes players

What are the details of the Micromillions Matt?

I withdraw all my stars money following the US shenanigans but have been burning through my FTP trying to qualify for the ATP event in Sydney.

Has been quite enjoyable none the less so could be interested in starting up playing again.

how long before its proven that the russians and to a lesser extent the canadians are rorting pokerstars? its so obvious these countries are favoured to win 90% of the time imo...

any thoughts?

What are the details of the Micromillions Matt?

It's basically a WCOOP, SCOOP etc. type of series for low/micro stakes players on Pokerstars. 100 events over about 10 days and starts tomorrow. Buy-ins range from $1-10 with a $22 main event on the final day. Going to be massive fields for this it seems. Will be playing a bunch of them in between work etc.

reidfactor, while Russians do seem to be the craizest when it come when betting aggressively with basically anything, your arguement is so completely flawed, it's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back