Premiership Player
May 24, 2001
Singapore
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Rule #6:

6: Constructive criticism and a healthy questioning of the Moderators is welcome, however outright criticism and 'bashing' of Moderators will not be tolerated. The weight of the infraction is up to our discretion.

I couldn't see a "Suggestions" board here, so I assume this post is ok...

As the title states, this board is impossible to read guys. For those of us who don't visit here 10 times a day, you can't find any news as everything is combined into giant threads.

eg.

I just clicked on the "#18: Michael Hurley - 5 goals against Brisbane" thread to have a read, only to be confronted by a "Welcome to Essendon Michael Hurley" post from 2008. So basically, to read what people have to say about his 5 goals against Brisbane, I have to go to the last page, and then start clicking back pages to find the latest post/news! :thumbsdown:

It's ridiculous guys. I've been on these boards for over 10 years now, and I can rarely even be bothered coming to this particular board anymore as everything is combined into giant threads and I know I'm not going to find anything.

Can the mods please just let new threads live? (I'm assuming a mod has combined the threads) I mean, if 2 people start a thread about Hurley's 5 goals against Brisbane, then sure - combine them! That makes perfect sense! But to combine anything about a particular player into one giant thread is just ludicrous and pointless, and defeats the entire purpose of having separate threads for separate discussions. This board has been like this for a while now, and it's got to stop unless you want to destroy this board entirely. Trying to find news on injuries is the same. It's all buried in one long "injuries" thread. It's as though whoever is moderating this board has a serious case of OCD and can't sleep at night until everything's neat and tidy and in its place. Well, it might look neat and tidy, but in reality, you've created a giant mess guys, as it's nearly impossible to find anything. (it's like having separate drawers for all your sock, jocks, t-shirts, etc.... and then throwing the drawers away and putting everything in one box. "Hey! It's all in there! You can find it!" Sure you can, but not as easily and painlessly as you could if it were neatly labelled in it's own separate drawer... which is the entire point of having threads with titles guys!)

Seriously, what is so wrong with new threads? Even if they only last a page, so what? Who cares? At least things would be easy to find. Why does every thread have to go for 50 pages?

Another example:

"#39: Heath Hocking - Better than Brad Sewell? (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)"

Again, you open the thread, and you're confronted by a post from July 2007! Why? Can't there be a separate thread discussing whether or not Heath Hocking is better than Brad Sewell? Can't we have a separate thread discussing Michael Hurley's 5 goals against Brisbane? And what about any previous Heath Hocking or Michael Hurley (or any other player) discussions? What if somebody wants to dig up a particular conversation or post to make a follow-up point to something that was said earlier? It's impossible. You have to dig through multiple pages trying to find the discussion/post rather than just doing a quick "search" for the thread (which has been rendered completely useless now on the Essendon board) all because the moderator(s) decided it would be a bright idea to combine everything that is ever posted about each player into one single thread.

Please consider what I'm saying, and what you're doing to this board in the process. It's used to be my go-to place for up-to-date Essendon info. A quick scan of the 1st page and I'd see something that interested me, read it and maybe post occasionally.

Now, however?

It's impossible.

I'm open to discussing the reasons why mods feel the need to do this on this board.

But for the moment, that's my 2c.

Surely having everything in 1 thread is much easier than having 14 different threads on the same topic?

From my post above:

"I mean, if 2 people start a thread about Hurley's 5 goals against Brisbane, then sure - combine them! That makes perfect sense! But to combine anything about a particular player into one giant thread is just ludicrous and pointless, and defeats the entire purpose of having separate threads for separate discussions."

Are you suggesting that we can't have separate conversations about Michael Hurley? So if some people want to discuss whether he should play forward or back, they have to wade through posts where other people are discussing his 5 goals, or his taxi driver incident, or his contract talks, just to find and continue their own particular discussion?

How does that make sense?

Consider this:

Moderators are often quick to ask people to "stick to the topic", correct?

And yet, on the other hand, on this board, they go around combining 50 different topics into the one thread... :confused:

I'm sure moderators will respect this critiscm, and this system is only being trialled at the moment, with the aim being to create more discussion on player-related threads.

Fair enough. But combining EVERYTHING to do with a particular player into one thread is complete overkill, and only makes things messy, and hard to find.

I am hoping that things will settle down once the season proper starts.

However, until that "injuries" sticky disappears, then things won't improve.

You tell me - what's the more useful thread title?

Injuries

or

Winderlich - Soreness. 2 weeks.

?

It just seems as though we've gone backwards on this board. Something that should take ZERO clicks (seeing what's happening or what discussions are going on by looking at the thread titles) now requires users to click on the "general" thread (or "player" thread, or "injury" thread) and then click again (or keep clicking back or forward through pages) to find the particular news or discussion they're after.... and then, when they DO find it, it has been diluted amongst 10 other conversations going on at the same time in the same thread.

And I'm not just trying to criticize mods for the sake of it either. I couldn't care less about the mods. In fact, good on 'em for being bothered to moderate this board. But what I do care about and would like to see is things return to normal on this board... where a person can come here and instantly see a list of the topics and discussions going on. (like you can with every other club board... and indeed, every other internet forum I know of)

After all, that's what thread titles, and separate links for separate discussions, are for.

Im 50/50 on the new format at the minute. At first I really liked it but now I'm a bit off it.

I know It's the off season and It's all a bit more light hearted but when I see a player thread with an updated title taking the piss out of posters, I refuse to open it.

Also, are player threads just gonna get bumped for no particular reason other than to keep them on the first page?

Are all new threads going to be directed to the applicable player thread during the regular season? Does this take away from the excitement of logging on after a good win to see the new threads?

On the positive side I can say that I do find myself reading more player related stuff than I did in the past.

Surely having everything in 1 thread is much easier than having 14 different threads on the same topic?

When has there ever been 14 threads on the same topic. The mods have always merged threads that clash.

I have liked the new format in the off-season. When there is generally not as much to talk about. Moving the Player threads onto the main board and updating their status has kept things interesting.

When the main season starts, maybe I'd prefer to go back to the old format. As there will be more general conversation going on... and specific players can be discussed in the other area.

FWIW there was already a thread asking for feedback on the new format. Everyone liked it.

Rule #6:

6: Constructive criticism and a healthy questioning of the Moderators is welcome, however outright criticism and 'bashing' of Moderators will not be tolerated. The weight of the infraction is up to our discretion.

I couldn't see a "Suggestions" board here, so I assume this post is ok...

As the title states, this board is impossible to read guys. For those of us who don't visit here 10 times a day, you can't find any news as everything is combined into giant threads.

eg.

I just clicked on the "#18: Michael Hurley - 5 goals against Brisbane" thread to have a read, only to be confronted by a "Welcome to Essendon Michael Hurley" post from 2008. So basically, to read what people have to say about his 5 goals against Brisbane, I have to go to the last page, and then start clicking back pages to find the latest post/news! :thumbsdown:

It's ridiculous guys. I've been on these boards for over 10 years now, and I can rarely even be bothered coming to this particular board anymore as everything is combined into giant threads and I know I'm not going to find anything.

Can the mods please just let new threads live? (I'm assuming a mod has combined the threads) I mean, if 2 people start a thread about Hurley's 5 goals against Brisbane, then sure - combine them! That makes perfect sense! But to combine anything about a particular player into one giant thread is just ludicrous and pointless, and defeats the entire purpose of having separate threads for separate discussions. This board has been like this for a while now, and it's got to stop unless you want to destroy this board entirely. Trying to find news on injuries is the same. It's all buried in one long "injuries" thread. It's as though whoever is moderating this board has a serious case of OCD and can't sleep at night until everything's neat and tidy and in its place. Well, it might look neat and tidy, but in reality, you've created a giant mess guys, as it's nearly impossible to find anything. (it's like having separate drawers for all your sock, jocks, t-shirts, etc.... and then throwing the drawers away and putting everything in one box. "Hey! It's all in there! You can find it!" Sure you can, but not as easily and painlessly as you could if it were neatly labelled in it's own separate drawer... which is the entire point of having threads with titles guys!)

Seriously, what is so wrong with new threads? Even if they only last a page, so what? Who cares? At least things would be easy to find. Why does every thread have to go for 50 pages?

Another example:

"#39: Heath Hocking - Better than Brad Sewell? (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)"

Again, you open the thread, and you're confronted by a post from July 2007! Why? Can't there be a separate thread discussing whether or not Heath Hocking is better than Brad Sewell? Can't we have a separate thread discussing Michael Hurley's 5 goals against Brisbane? And what about any previous Heath Hocking or Michael Hurley (or any other player) discussions? What if somebody wants to dig up a particular conversation or post to make a follow-up point to something that was said earlier? It's impossible. You have to dig through multiple pages trying to find the discussion/post rather than just doing a quick "search" for the thread (which has been rendered completely useless now on the Essendon board) all because the moderator(s) decided it would be a bright idea to combine everything that is ever posted about each player into one single thread.

Please consider what I'm saying, and what you're doing to this board in the process. It's used to be my go-to place for up-to-date Essendon info. A quick scan of the 1st page and I'd see something that interested me, read it and maybe post occasionally.

Now, however?

It's impossible.

I'm open to discussing the reasons why mods feel the need to do this on this board.

But for the moment, that's my 2c.

If there was a 'like' button I would hit it...

Too true.. for an Australian internet sporting board, people and mods alike are way too precious when it comes to seeing someone voice an unpopular opinion, or just fall outside their expectation of what they view as board worthy..

Makes this painful more than fun.. Lighten up..

I like thread titles that take the piss out of things.

I do prefer the old way though, however both have their pros and cons.

It would be good if there were two columns of threads: player threads and normal old-style board threads. It'd also be good if you could choose to view all threads on a topic as one thread (e.g. a Hurley megathread) or separately based on preference. I realise, though, that it would require programming changes States-side and isn't likely to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant stand the new format, im glad somebody has finally made a thread out of this
Having every thread posted about a player combined into one discussion is not only confusing, it defeats the purpose of what it was meant to achieve which is to spark more discussion over specific players. Personally i find it almost pointless to look through a 40 page thread started in 2005 to find one specific topic that i wanted to read about and discuss whilst 5 other topics have already been started afterwards in the same thread!
The board wasnt broken so there was certainly no need to even try and fix it

Agree with OP!
I guess the problem they're addressing is an overload of separate threads.
Personally I have no problem with alot of separate threads, different titles for different subjects.
Simply lumping together slightly related threads, equals a mess IMO.

Yes it's giving me the shits looking at it now.

Dogs breakfast.

OP, that little circle icon next to each thread title that looks like a V in a circle will change your life.

Think the criticism is fair, and I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but click that icon rather than opening the thread from page 1.

I'm one of those weirdos who's willing to make, like, three clicks to look at something specific. It's pretty arduous and taxing and by the end of it I need to be put on an IV drip while I read what I was looking for, but I'm cool with putting myself through such fire and brimstone.

Seriously. It's not that difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back