I'm hoping that one day, the NAB cup is like the FA cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
sorry for any football haters out there that don't like my example, but couldn't think of any others.

I want to see the nab cup taken very seriously, it seems to be a bit of a joke really, i know there's prize money involved but it needs to be more than that.

i love watching FA cup matches with the english football teams, it's an exciting alternative to just the league matches. the knockout stage would be similar to the old style which i liked, drawn at random.

i know most will disagree but I think it would be fantastic! thoughts?

EDIT: I DON'T MEAN DURING THE SEASON, IT IS STILL PRE SEASON. I DON'T MEAN THE SAME FORMAT (AMOUNT OF TEAMS AND MATCHES), IT WILL SUIT THE AMOUNT OF AFL TEAMS WE HAVE. IT WILL BE IN PLACE OF THE NAB CUP SO NO PLAYERS ARE GOING TO GET OVERLY TIRED. THERE WONT BE ANY TEAMS OTHER THAN AFL TEAMS, ONLY AFL TEAMS, NO VFL TEAMS.

yes i would enjoy that, but i doubt this would happen, the AFL headed by doometriou is still living in the dark ages

Anything during the pre season won't be taken seriously. The soccer equivalent of pre season tournaments are non events in comparison to the real stuff as well.

Unless you mean make the NAB Cup a competition played during the actual season? Like the Foxtel Cup from last year and include the AFL teams. That way at least the interest of potential upsets for the state teams would make it more like the FA cup 'romance'.

If you make a cup competition for only the AFL teams then it wouldn't be as interesting. Seeing a scenario like Subiaco upset Fremantle in the NAB Cup would make it feel more like the FA cup with the lower leagues having a chance at creating memorable events and unknown players getting their 5 mins of fame or potentially opening a door to an AFL career.

just get rid of it completly or keep it as an oppertunity to play fringe, new and young players. No one will ever care about it, the premiership is the only real prize in football.

would be interesting to have a full cup during the season.

maybe worth say, 20 million to the winner or something, that way you would see teams who are "out of the race" for the finals still putting out their top teams, whereas a team challenging for the premiership would play a 2nd rate side etc. would definately add an extra bit during the season

they would do something with the triangular series. never going to happen. Dont think some of the 2nd tier comps will be competitive enough. dont know how you schedule the round in after

WA
WCE
FREO
WAFL Premier

SA
PORT
ADEL
SANFL Premier

NSW
SYD
GWS
NEAFL Premier

QLD
BRISBANE
GC
NEAFL Runner Up

WEST
GEELONG
WB
VFL Runner Up

NORTH
ESSENDON
CARLTON
SANFL Runner Up

EAST
COLLINGWOOD
RICHMOND
VFL Premier

CENTRAL/SOUTH
MELBOURNE
ST KILDA
WAFL Runner Up

TAS
NORTH
HAWTHORN
TFL Premier

Never going to happen. Fa cup in England is as important as the premier league. Because their game is so wussy they can play 2 games a week and not be overly tired.

In AFL, you would have to take whole weekends to set it up (i.e season takes another 4 weeks+ to finish) and even then teams wouldnt take it seriously enough and some teams would put in sub par teams.

^League title is way more important than the FA Cup. Numerous articles over the past 4-5 years bemoaning that the FA Cup has lost it's importance.

Also Belnakor, 20m prize money is way too much. Should be 1m at most imo. I understand teams would need a real incentive but at the same time it can't cause the AFL to run out of money.

Never going to happen. Fa cup in England is as important as the premier league. Because their game is so wussy they can play 2 games a week and not be overly tired.

In AFL, you would have to take whole weekends to set it up (i.e season takes another 4 weeks+ to finish) and even then teams wouldnt take it seriously enough and some teams would put in sub par teams.

bold = so wrong

underline = so ignorant

It is nothing more than match practice to prepare for the REAL season, it will never mean anything & nor should it.

wow. that first bit is just ridiculous

for a top flight club:

winning the league > top 4 > fa cup > carling cup

next time a team does play 2 games in a week check the squads for the games before and the games after and come back to me with how many changes are made

generally they make around 4-5+ changes if there is a mid-week game and they will priorities players accordingly

also, they have huge squads in comparison to how many they can have on the pitch - most clubs have around 25+ players - enough to field a first team squad, a reserves squad + an under 18 squad made up a mix of the under 18s good enough for the reserves squad + others in the youth squad.

That would be like AFL clubs having squads of around 50-60 players + under 18s on top of that

/rant

I would love a full H&A season with everyone playing each other twice and the minor premiership to mean a lot more, on top of that the top 8 still play it out for a grand-final and then have a foxtel cup for all the wafl/vfl/sanfl teams + the afl teams

This would only work if there is a reserve competition or something similar to eliminate AFL players playing for second tier squads in the wafl/vfl/sanfl etc.

Get rid of the NAB cup and leave it up to the clubs to organise their own pre-season fixtures - i.e. if Freo have an early game up in Queensland - organise a PS game up there, or if Geelong have to come to Perth early in the season - organise a PS game in Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^League title is way more important than the FA Cup. Numerous articles over the past 4-5 years bemoaning that the FA Cup has lost it's importance.
FA cup is important to those that do well, especially if they are having a bad season in the Premier league.
It may not be as important, but its still a coveted piece of silverwear.
bold = so wrong

underline = so ignorant
the bold part was Ignorance on my part.

the underline part was for fun ;)
Soccer players can play mid week games and still have games on the weekends following it. AFL players don't have the same luxury because it is a more contact sport.

well i was thinking as the players don't want to play extra matches during their league season like they do in association football, then why not have it during the pre season as they don't have to do any tours of other countires

edit: i'll just call it soccer from now on in case people don't know what i'm talking about

soccer players have smaller teams fielded, don't really get rests. but the more tired players will be rested and will play the league game or the cup game of vice versa so they get less tired. hard to explain i guess. but i doubt afl could have cup games during the season, too many injuries as it is anyway. the nab cup would be perfect! i hate how so many people want to scrap it, bet they wouldn't want it scrapped if the tournament was almost or even equally as important as winning a league premiership

Ignorant much? You could argue that AFL is 'wussy' in this regard. NRL players back up 2 days after smashing the living s**t out of each other in origin.

It is nothing more than match practice to prepare for the REAL season, it will never mean anything & nor should it.

the prize money, trophy and medals say otherwise

i'd love to see richmond win the pre season cup, not because it's better than nothing, simply because i think it's a good comp. sure there are teams that don't try, but you still have to beat the teams that are trying

the prize money, trophy and medals say otherwise

i'd love to see richmond win the pre season cup, not because it's better than nothing, simply because i think it's a good comp. sure there are teams that don't try, but you still have to beat the teams that are trying

The trophy would certainly make a nice door stop.

sorry for any football haters out there that don't like my example, but couldn't think of any others.

I want to see the nab cup taken very seriously, it seems to be a bit of a joke really, i know there's prize money involved but it needs to be more than that.

i love watching FA cup matches with the english football teams, it's an exciting alternative to just the league matches. the knockout stage would be similar to the old style which i liked, drawn at random.

i know most will disagree but I think it would be fantastic! thoughts?
You don't seem to grasp the main idea of the FA Cup. You merely see it as the alternative trophy to the English premiership. The FA Cup is much more than a knock-out competition which ends in a final at Wembley. What it's really about is a knock-out tournament which is open to all comers - from the Premier League right down through the 2nd, 3rd, 4th divisions, 2nd tier competitions, all the way down to local village leagues. Part of the romance of the FA Cup is when part-time professionals progress to the 3rd and 4th rounds and they get to play against the big boys from the Top Flight. Crawley Town FC won through to the 5th round of 2011 FA Cup. Their home ground holds less than 5000 people.

The FA Cup probably means more to the 'rank and file' clubs who make up the numbers than it does to the rich Premier League clubs who win the bloody thing.

The NAB Cup games are just practise matches. I don't why people always want to make more of it. I don't understand why people want to scrap it. We need praccy matches.

As for your FA Cup plan, surely you're not proposing that Collingwood play a practise match against the Kununurra Demons from the Kimberley?

i know what the fa cup is mate, i definitely don't need it explained to me. im not saying we should copy everything about it, youre missing the point. just make it so the nab cup is as important to afl players as the fa cup is to english footballers. i could've used the league cup as an example but that isn't held as high

as for practise games, they have those as well as having nab cup games anyway

The FA cup isn't a huge priority to the top sides but to the teams who are no chance in the league it's huge.

There are dates kept aside for the FA cup so to have a similar thing in the AFL you would have to a shorter H&A season. Say 17 games plus 5 cup rounds assuming teams outside the AFL could enter.

The trouble is clubs would struggle with memberships revenue and such if they were eliminated early and you would still see the top sides playing 2nds teams as having 3 or 4 weeks off would be a huge advantage going into finals.

it was, then they started tampering with it and made so bloody stupid the players stopped caring

look at the 1999 PRE-season for example, hawthorn played a near full strength team the entire time, as did each of thier opponents, and the list was longer too (you'd think longer lists would = more resting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back