Folau cleared by the MRP

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't know how you'd infer that from me stating that the AFL tried to suspend Dunkley.
Maybe I inferred something that wasn't there to be inferred. If so, I humbly apologise............and note that you agree that Dunkley blatantly whacked Hird in the prelim, and should have been unavailable for the GF due to suspension. Not that it mattered in the end. :thumbsu:

May 1, 2007
Camped in the goalsquare
AFL Club
Sydney
What do you want me to say? He did and shouldn't, but the club did exactly what every other club would have done if they were delivered the report and had less than 24 hours to front up to the tribunal and had the hearing pushed back. I'm more interested in how on Earth people think that the AFL reporting a player and then delaying notice that badly is evidence of favourable treatment.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Folau did the same in the game against Hawthorn to Boumann - late, after disposal and again gave away the free - but none of them are particularly reportable.

deluge99

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2011
Mid Nth Coast NSW
AFL Club
GWS
What becomes of the umpire? Does the AFL really need a bloke who reckons that first offence was reportable to be holding a whistle come the proper stuff?

Sheedy was right, people do not realize the damage soft garbage like that does to the code in the Northern states. How does throwing a guy to the ground ever become more than a 50m penalty. The average man up here watching the news just shakes his head and wants nothing to do with code, which is the greatest shame and something the AFL umpiring dept just fail to see locked in their own little cocoon in Victoria.

Umpiring dept PLEASE get the umpires to jump off centre stage ,go back to being in back ground and let the players play!

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
After reading through these posts, it's clear that -

1) Figfooty considers the 2 reports as ridiculously soft and no way should either have been reported.

2) Nevetheless, Falou only escaped a deserved suspension because of an 'AFL conspiracy'

Yeah, I can see how that all makes sense. ;)

I think the sentiment was summed up by Selwood's Twitter comment. Grant Thomas' straight-faced sarcasm was the cherry on top.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
What becomes of the umpire? Does the AFL really need a bloke who reckons that first offence was reportable to be holding a whistle come the proper stuff?

Umpires are actually told it's not their call to decide if there was anything in it, to report anything they see.

IMHO. Take the reports off them at this level.
Do it all on the video.

After reading through these posts, it's clear that -

1) Figfooty considers the 2 reports as ridiculously soft and no way should either have been reported.

2) Nevetheless, Falou only escaped a deserved suspension because of an 'AFL conspiracy'

Yeah, I can see how that all makes sense. ;)

Well. The MRP determined that the contact was below force required to constitute a report...

An amazing finding really. As the force was clearly greater than a Jordan Lewis Headbutt and Hawthorn were unable to argue the force issue with the same stupid MRP.

Had the MRP found that they weren't reportable offences at all, or that there had been no head contact in the tackle or something I'd understand, but the finding makes no sense.

If you ever want to look at ridiculous from tribunal/MRP check out Campbell Brown being poked in the eye by Judd. Video footage clearly shows incident and Brown with his eyelid pressed in straight after it. Yet they choose to let Judd off because Brown says it didn't happen.

They refuse to look at medical reports on Monfries Lewis case then decide a couple of weeks later that medical reports are a good idea and they use them to let a few people off.

Should be able to use precedents from the same season at the tribunal.

As you can't provide any of your own video on other decisions/non-decisions, the list of approved videos must include examples of contact below what's required to constitute a report. The absence of these examples means you should be able to show examples of your own that have gone through the season all clear.

Remember some Essendon tool repeatedly hitting Jack Riewoldts injured hand... highlighted clearly on tv, silence from MRP... then 4 weeks later poor Stevie Johnson's hand gets hit by that nasty Steve Baker fellow. Steve Baker should have been able to say I watched the Essendon v Richmond game and realised that this was a great way of annoying an opponent without getting reported.

Natural Justice

May 1, 2007
Camped in the goalsquare
AFL Club
Sydney
As you can't provide any of your own video on other decisions/non-decisions, the list of approved videos must include examples of contact below what's required to constitute a report. The absence of these examples means you should be able to show examples of your own that have gone through the season all clear.
They tried something like that. The Swans used it to get a charge reduced in 2005 and they got rid of it.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
Remember some Essendon tool repeatedly hitting Jack Riewoldts injured hand... highlighted clearly on tv, silence from MRP...
I think what you actually mean is Jack Reiwoldt going after Pears' broken hand (2010, mid year).
Clearly intentional and targetted, clearly should have been a free kick, but FFS never a report. He whacked a bloke's hand, nothing more.

Baker hit Johnson about 10 or 20 different times. IIRC he actually got 4 or 5 suspensions each of 1-2 weeks; not one big suspension.

Back