Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Exciting news!

Looks like we'll be adopting a second puppy to add to the family!

In one of those "it's clearly fate" kind of situations, my girlfriend and I had been talking about looking for a second dog to give Hank a friend. But we had reasonably specific criteria; had to be another rescue dog, had to be small, had to be a girl (as Hank is clearly a boy, and apparently introducing a second dog works better if they are the opposite sex), and importantly, we wanted another odd mixed mystery breed.

Well, today we stumbled across this young girl on Pet Rescue;

104F7534-1231-4104-AD1B8E1848150CFC.jpg

She's a 12 week old mixed breed (parentage listed as staffy/maltese/shihtzu/mystery) in Mildura.

But wait... Mildura? We live in Canberra.

Not to worry! The universe thought of this too!

We're driving (with Hank!) from Canberra to Adelaide over Easter and staying in Adelaide for 10 days. We will be passing through Mildura to get to Adelaide! Woah, universe; you work in freaky ways.

So, we sent off an application for to adopt little Sage this morning... we just found out we've been accepted.

Wooo!

So this gives Hank and Sage 10 days to get to know each other, and get comfortable with each other, on neutral territory in Adelaide, so that when the time comes to bring them both home to Canberra, hopefully we won't have any dominance/territorial behaviour from Hank. Also, the fact that Sage is so young, and Hank is 18 months old, will hopefully help that cause too.

Anyone got any tips for introducing a second dog to our family?

She's a 12 week old mixed breed (parentage listed as staffy/maltese/shihtzu/mystery) in Mildura.

Sage is cute, she does have a staffy sorta look. If she acts like one, she'll go through all the dog toys and wanna play tug of war a lot :p

Is she toilet trained Chad? You may just wanna keep her off the carpet for a little while.

Exciting news!

In one of those "it's clearly fate" kind of situations, my girlfriend and I had been talking about looking for a second dog to give Hank a friend. But we had reasonably specific criteria; had to be another rescue dog, had to be small, had to be a girl (as Hank is clearly a boy, and apparently introducing a second dog works better if they are the opposite sex), and importantly, we wanted another odd mixed mystery breed.

We're driving (with Hank!) from Canberra to Adelaide over Easter and staying in Adelaide for 10 days. We will be passing through Mildura to get to Adelaide! Woah, universe; you work in freaky ways.

So, we sent off an application for to adopt little Sage this morning... we just found out we've been accepted.

Wooo!

So this gives Hank and Sage 10 days to get to know each other, and get comfortable with each other, on neutral territory in Adelaide, so that when the time comes to bring them both home to Canberra, hopefully we won't have any dominance/territorial behaviour from Hank. Also, the fact that Sage is so young, and Hank is 18 months old, will hopefully help that cause too.

What a cutie!!! Errr hope whoever your staying with in Adelaide appreciates the addition to the Chadwiko Family.

I've not had experience in introducing one dog to another but maybe when you pick her up spend some time out of the car so the two dogs get to know each other as the rest of the Road Trip could be spent separating the dogs. Believe calm and assertive is the best stance. She's little so maybe you could buy or borrow one of those pet carriers just to make it easier on the trip?

I've cruised dog sites on this issue and trying to figure out different dog body languages. I've said won't replace Bonnie but sometimes I think Clyde does need a buddy but at 11 I don't know. Too soon to make a decision for me.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

when l brang betty home as kitten dex was just a b!tch and would beat her up all the time.They get on fine now,but l bang bettys sister over dex just pissed everywhere.when l introducing hank as a pup to fudge he was a bit to rough on him at the start after few weeks they were fine.Fudge thought he was tough beat hank at tug a war and other games one day hank got big and fudge was not so tough.seeing your dogs are quiet small l see them being really good mates preety early on.becareful dogs can get car sick.

Exciting news!

Wooo!

What a little ripper, congrats on the choice:thumbsu:

Ours had met each other previously to becoming "housemates", both are males but, Archie is "fixed" and Marvin thought that, as a fully intact male, he would be boss. Archie, like an elder statesman, just let him get his way until Marvin over stepped the line (tried to pinch food from Archies bowl), well one loud woof put Marvin back in line. They mostly get on fine but, every now and then, Archie resets the boundaries.

Good luck with it, I'm sure they'll be fine.:)

Try holding your new little girl kneeling down at face level with Hank, while gently introducing her to him...let them sniff each other, also be patting Hank at the same time with one hand....do that a few times, and being a girl will help of course..

IMhumbleO let Hank know he is still just as important, (by still fussing over him) but he needs to recognise a new member to the family..

..be gentle, patient but firm......good luck and let us know how they get on:):thumbsu:

Congrats to the Chadmeisters!

Check out the Dog Whisperer website Chad. There might be some good tips there.

However, if you're older dog is comfortable with his place in the family I'd be surprised if you had any trouble introducing a puppy.

Try holding your new little girl kneeling down at face level with Hank, while gently introducing her to him...let them sniff each other, also be patting Hank at the same time with one hand....do that a few times, and being a girl will help of course..

IMhumbleO let Hank know he is still just as important, (by still fussing over him) but he needs to recognise a new member to the family..

..be gentle, patient but firm......good luck and let us know how they get on:):thumbsu:

good post above also feed hank first he is the older woffer hes first in the pecking order and your the packleader.

How do your dogs cope with your barracking for North when watching it at home on TV????? Especially last night. Things were getting "frantic" at mine to say the least, poor Clyde was bobbing up and down everytime I opened my mouth and to top it off with minutes to go in final qtr, the bleedin Maggie Island bus broke down out the front, dog barking and me stressing, at the footy.:eek:

FYI bus still there today.

Whether I'm watching the footy at ground or at home, Im pretty quiet individual no matter what state of the game. Our dogs just chill on the couch when I'm watching the footy.

Anyways this just a random pic I took of Jack a couple days ago.....

2aj13qx.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether I'm watching the footy at ground or at home, Im pretty quiet individual no matter what state of the game. Our dogs just chill on the couch when I'm watching the footy.

Anyways this just a random pic I took of Jack a couple days ago.....

2aj13qx.jpg

:thumbsu:

He's one alert dog there Dan.

I'm feeling a bit chuffed with myself today. Clyde finally got to meet the 7 month old female Dalmation that lives near us while out for our morning walk. Introduction only lasted a few minutes, he was "woohoo" and did the sniffing thing but she was a bit anxious after initial face to face and backed away but didn't snap at him. Her owner takes her on 3k walk each morning as she is a bundle of energy. At 11 don't think Clyde would cope. Me, I was as cool as a cucumber, thank you Cesar for the tips. Hoping for more meetings as he needs a doggie friend now that Bonnie has gone to heaven. Small steps but all good, fingers crossed.:)

:thumbsu:

He's one alert dog there Dan.

I'm feeling a bit chuffed with myself today. Clyde finally got to meet the 7 month old female Dalmation that lives near us while out for our morning walk. Introduction only lasted a few minutes, he was "woohoo" and did the sniffing thing but she was a bit anxious after initial face to face and backed away but didn't snap at him. Her owner takes her on 3k walk each morning as she is a bundle of energy. At 11 don't think Clyde would cope. Me, I was as cool as a cucumber, thank you Cesar for the tips. Hoping for more meetings as he needs a doggie friend now that Bonnie has gone to heaven. Small steps but all good, fingers crossed.:)

Have you considered getting another Gabbie?

We watch the big games of footy/movies on rear projection dex the cat likes to try to get the players.Because she is mostly white you can see players on her body its quiet funny when it happens.

lol can you get a pic of this? :D

Have you considered getting another Gabbie?

No Dan. Don't know how Clyde would cope with a "newbie" and I have learnt through having dogs I don't have the patience to train a puppy. I consider myself lucky that my two were well behaved and had some training when I brought them home at 9 and 8 years of age. Also, living solo they do tie you to the house and it's hard to get dog sitters as mine are house dogs, not the kind you could leave outside and have people pop in daily to water and feed them. I had to go away suddenly for 2 nights just over a year ago and Clyde didn't cope being outside the 2nd night. Fun getting text messages from neighbour in middle of night. Was all sorted but he is one sookie la la woofer. Lot's of responsibility owning a pet, though they do bring love and joy to your life. We've just mowed the yard, beeeoootiful weather ATM and Maggie is chockers with touros!!

lol can you get a pic of this? :D

Second that request. LOL. :D

Sitting by the door, think he wants to go for a walk.....

2012-014.jpg

Na, just tired from lifting weights, it's working too, he's getting solid around the chest:)

Na, just tired from lifting weights, it's working too, he's getting solid around the chest:)

Nah he doesn't need the weights, its all part of their dna make up. You look at pitbulls and staffies they are all musclier type of dogs.

He has that "wadda mean we're not going out when I got this stick and all" expression. :)

That's just him wanting to play tug of war :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back