NRL Channel 9 to show Melbourne Storm free-to-air games live locally

Remove this Banner Ad

We are getting what we want which nis great don't get me wrong problem is channel 9 could have done this a long time ago and it seems they are desperate now. Some see it as too late

Of course they could. We all recognize why they are suddenly doing it now.

But we do need to be prepared for the possibility that the mob who own the ability to have the final bid may very well keep the rights.

Antagonizing them isn't the way to go.

Tug, we've got more than what we wanted tbh. I would have accepted just coverage of the Storm games. This coming from someone whose team plays FAR more C9 games than Melbourne. However, basically mirroring the northern coverage I never dreamed would happen.

But we do need to be prepared for the possibility that the mob who own the ability to have the final bid may very well keep the rights.

But, but, but so and so from such and such network loves Rugby League and will pay overs to get it on their network:p:D

Antagonizing them isn't the way to go.

Maybe if it help them drive up their own bid if they think losing the rights is possible;)

Tug, we've got more than what we wanted tbh. I would have accepted just coverage of the Storm games. This coming from someone whose team plays FAR more C9 games than Melbourne. However, basically mirroring the northern coverage I never dreamed would happen.

This is the important part. We got more than just Storm games, we now get 3 games a week for ALL Rugby League fans and most important of all Sports fans in the rest of Australia.

This is the important part. We got more than just Storm games, we now get 3 games a week for ALL Rugby League fans and most important of all Sports fans in the rest of Australia.

100% agree.

This is sensational for the game and sports fans. Lets get behind it and ensure it continues because I think 9 will have the rights past the end of the latest deal.

^ yep. I am not convinced of this "it's too late" rubbish from the fans. They dont do the negotiations, 9 have last shot at it + they know what happens to their station if they lose the rights.

It all adds up to 9 very much being on the picture.

I get what Robbie is saying about pressuring them but realistically what more is there to pressure them on?

We got what we wanted, and if they do choose they will pay what is necessary based on the other bids.

To sit back and say "I'm not going to thank them" is simply pig headed and petty. Everything we've accused them of over the years.

Anyway, it feels good to say this. On my way home to grab a six pack and settle in to watch the footy tonight :)

It's all a little bit overwhelming getting all this in one go. I'm happy.

When do the tv rights end? Will that coincide with the entire NRL fixture being known from the start of the season?

Regardless of the reasons behind their decision which we all agree on, this is a poor attitude.

End of the day, we should be congratulating them and try to work with then to ensure we maintain these coverage levels.

Particularly if they retain the rights.

How can we fans work with them, when they've ignored us for so long.

If they do regain the rights and there is a clause in the new rights deal that gives us games live on Gem and Ch.9 abides by it, then I might thank them, certainly not now!

They make the kids train on Friday? That's a bit harsh lol

That seems to be the way it is in our league. Throw in monday nights for Cannons, club on tue, EDFL rep on wed then club again on fri night and she's pretty full on with very little time for much else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was pleased to see we get the same deal in Tassie. Was good to be able to switch channels and watch some league instead of suffering through the half time show.

And even better that its on Gem. Nice to see some HD sport on free tv.

Amen brother.
How good was it to flick between a live friday night AFL blockbuster and have two NRL games on as well?

So what did people make of the ratings?

Given the late notification of live coverage I thought it (26k) was a very good result and one we can certainly grow.

You're right AM, very few people even knew it was on unless it was word by mouth or on the net and you were specifically looking for it.
The Gem webpage still had the old programming last Thursday night.

So overall, it was a good figure.

I know it won't happen but I wish they would show the NRL on Gem here in Queensland. Weird how the NRL states can't watch the NRL in HD but the non-NRL states can. Also I like having a choice on what I want to watch on Friday Nights as well but seeing the Broncos play on Friday Nights often I'll probably be watching the League most of the time.

I know it won't happen but I wish they would show the NRL on Gem here in Queensland. Weird how the NRL states can't watch the NRL in HD but the non-NRL states can. Also I like having a choice on what I want to watch on Friday Nights as well but seeing the Broncos play on Friday Nights often I'll probably be watching the League most of the time.

Bombard the WWOS facebook like Storm fans and other league fans in afl states did this and last year and your wish might be granted. It did work because it was mentioned on the sunday nrl footy show on Gem this afternoon, not in those direct words but more along the lines fans made a clear statement they wanted to watch rugby league in non-league states.

Was good having Rabbits commentating a live Friday night game into Melbourne! Hopefully they make good on showing other non-storm games live as well, having choice between AFL and NRL is great.

Was good having Rabbits commentating a live Friday night game into Melbourne! Hopefully they make good on showing other non-storm games live as well, having choice between AFL and NRL is great.

That's what they are doing right now Brett, showing all the friday night games and Sunday a/noon games, whether Storm are on or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back