Angus Graham and Luke Mcguane :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, right now, but McGuane isn't going to get any better. If we keep playing Post and let him get to 50+ games, he should be a much better player than what McGuane is now. Problem is he won't get there if we don't play him.
Agree.
Look, I thought Post was awful last night, but there's little point putting an entire preseason into him and then dropping him after one match against a top 4 side.
Swapping him for McGuane next week would just be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Post may not end up being up to it. But we won't know until the end of the season.
We certainly don't know after round 1.

Agree.
Look, I thought Post was awful last night, but there's little point putting an entire preseason into him and then dropping him after one match against a top 4 side.
Post may not end up being up to it. But we won't know until the end of the season.

Agreed Tugga. People need to remember Post has only played about 22 odd games in about 3 years and has been in and out of the side. He needs a run of games and he needs some confidence in his ability. I hope the coaches back him in and give him a good run of games to settle.

Post was very poor but from what I saw last night, Carlton's spread usually meant players were loose in the fifty after a contest or break and our guys were scrambled and all over the joint.

To be fair to Post, I think he was playing on Hampson who is a massive unit and and a good deal taller. He really needed someone like Grimes to come over the top and punch the ball away.

Agree.

I agree in principal. He was one of our worst last night which everyone saw and it's not like he had a gun opponent. In saying this I would keep him in against the Pies next week and give him either Cloke or Dawes (probably the latter). He is the same age as Rance but looks a tenth of the footballer.

He is in his 4th year now, and unless he can dramatically improve on last nights performance it will be his last.

Luckily we have a gun CHB in Astbury in the wings

Agreed Tugga. People need to remember Post has only played about 22 odd games in about 3 years and has been in and out of the side. He needs a run of games and he needs some confidence in his ability. I hope the coaches back him in and give him a good run of games to settle.

Post was very poor but from what I saw last night, Carlton's spread usually meant players were loose in the fifty after a contest or break and our guys were scrambled and all over the joint.

To be fair to Post, I think he was playing on Hampson who is a massive unit and and a good deal taller. He really needed someone like Grimes to come over the top and punch the ball away.

I agree in principal. He was one of our worst last night which everyone saw and it's not like he had a gun opponent. In saying this I would keep him in against the Pies next week and give him either Cloke or Dawes (probably the latter). He is the same age as Rance but looks a tenth of the footballer.

He is in his 4th year now, and unless he can dramatically improve on last nights performance it will be his last.

Luckily we have a gun CHB in Astbury in the wings
In his 20 or so games, he has been tried as a forward, a ruck and a defender. Has never been allowed to settle. Has put in a big preseason and the coaching staff have decided that if he makes it, it will be as a key defender. So let him play there and then we see how it pans out.
Personally, I don't think he has the tools and it's a pity as in his first couple of games he showed real promise as a forward, particularly against Essendon.

If it is true that the best side will b selected each week then mcquane should replace post as no player young or old should get away with a performance like that.

Watching the game last night made me cringe whenever the ball was around CHB. Sorry Posty, but if you cannot mark it, the ball must hit the ground. This is not meant to be inflaminatory, but I notice on the team sheet for the burgers that Gus is playing in the CHB postion..... Have I put two and two together to get ninety four?

Hmm. Imagine that.

Personally I think Post is just another Gourdis.

Everyone thought Gourdis was hard done by because he never got enough game time. That may be true.

What I have seen of Post is that he is a kid with a good build, athleticism and height to be a key position player (so far so good). But what I have also seen is that he doesn't know what to do. No composure. Contrast with Rance and Grimes who do know how to back themselves.

If we give him some more games I can live with it. But somewhere along the line he is going to have to step up. We are going to get clobbered next week if he keeps playing the way he has and I wont be surprised if McGuane gets a nod and Post gets gifted games against some of the dud teams.

They were average, so what?

How about putting some pressure on up the ground so that Carlton couldn't just effortlessly kick it in on top of Post's head, and put our average defenders under pressure all the time :rolleyes:. I dunno, maybe like say... Hawthorn? Who are hardly a bunch of Scarletts in defence.

All this rotating players talk is bullshit - we do not need McGone or Goose to come back into the team - they've had their chances.

Except Grimes was just as bad as Post last night

I'm overseas and didn't get to see the game.

But I did go to the Geelong practice match and Post was crap but Rance and Grimes were good.

No-one's arguing about whether Grimes should be in the team though, are they?

Really Inf? I didn't think Grimes was nearly as poor.Not even in the same ballpark?

I'm only judging from my view of the game live at the Punt Road End and I don't know if it was Grimes trying to cover someone else's man or if it was his man he was scrambling to get back in touch with, but he certainly was trailing behind the leading forward a lot.

Sure Post dropped a couple of marks and was pinned for a bad holding the ball, but I saw a few clangers from Grimes too down back during the shambles that are our kick ins. I'm not calling for Grimes to be dropped, nor am I for Post, just think that Rance was the only decent defender we had all day. Coincidence that he's the most experienced key tall we have though?

I'm only judging from my view of the game live at the Punt Road End and I don't know if it was Grimes trying to cover someone else's man or if it was his man he was scrambling to get back in touch with, but he certainly was trailing behind the leading forward a lot.

Sure Post dropped a couple of marks and was pinned for a bad holding the ball, but I saw a few clangers from Grimes too down back during the shambles that are our kick ins. I'm not calling for Grimes to be dropped, nor am I for Post, just think that Rance was the only decent defender we had all day. Coincidence that he's the most experienced key tall we have though?
It's the one real area we are massivley defecient. A gun key back would be worth so much right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his 20 or so games, he has been tried as a forward, a ruck and a defender. Has never been allowed to settle. Has put in a big preseason and the coaching staff have decided that if he makes it, it will be as a key defender. So let him play there and then we see how it pans out.
Personally, I don't think he has the tools and it's a pity as in his first couple of games he showed real promise as a forward, particularly against Essendon.

I agree...like it or not...he needs a spred of games in the firsts to demonstrate what he has to offer...

But that would make a mockery of Dimmas call that games needed to be earned in the seniors...personally i would play him....

He reminds me so much of Kepler Bradley...with that laconic on field attitude...heres hoping Posty comes good cos we are deficient at CHB at the moment...it just puts so much pressure on Rance to hold our defence together...

I agree...like it or not...he needs a spred of games in the firsts to demonstrate what he has to offer...

But that would make a mockery of Dimmas call that games needed to be earned in the seniors...personally i would play him....

He reminds me so much of Kepler Bradley...with that laconic on field attitude...heres hoping Posty comes good cos we are deficient at CHB at the moment...it just puts so much pressure on Rance to hold our defence together...
Comparison to Kepler are not all that far from the money Jak.
Remember Kepler being torched by Sheedy and being left on Richo all night when the great man kicked 9 on him?
Sine then he is a more than handy forward-ruck.
I have a feeling though that if Jayden can't make it as a backman this year, it will be curtains.

My biggest gripe is that we play Post instead of Mcguane. We also played Morris and Ellis down back adding to an already inexperienced defence.

How was ever going to hold up over 4 QTRs?

Hate Mcguane all you want but the one thing has is experience.... and last night we lacked that more than anything down back.

The area of the ground I thought DH would try and get right the quickest was our back six.... It seems a revolving door has been installed.

It's the area that I hold the most concern yet it's an area I see should be a strength!! especially by now.

I look forward to watching Grimes and Rance play a long career together. But we still need that General.... the rock down back. Post is not the answer. Not strong enough... not quick enough... lacks awareness.... tries to mark when he should punch... punches when he should mark... crap below his knees and provides no run.
Post is not a defender... and I doubt we can turn him into one, but I would have backed him to take the marks that Vickory dropped....

Dimma has also tried Astbury down back also.... another player who is a forward IMO.

Thursfield and Mcguane are both better options then Post, and you could throw in Gourdis to that list.

We also released Lids from down back.... creating a significant whole... a whole that wasn;t filled. Ellis will eventually... and will do it soon imo.

Newman offers very little. I watched him last night and believe he is a big reason why we continually get toweled by small forwards. Has he ever beaten a quality small forward??? if not than why is he there? to do torps??? hope not.
Morris looks an upgrade to Farmer.... but with worse disposal....

I really think Dimma needs to take a step back.... look at the defense from an outside perspective and reevaluate what he is trying to create down back.... it's been messy since he started.....

I know it's round 1 but its presean number 3 now and we still lack answers.

You can throw Griffiths into that lot as well, nut.
Our inability to draft good backman, means we draft forwards (Post, Astbury and Griffiths) and try to turn them into backmen. Winning Tattslotto has better odds it would seem.

Our inability to draft good backman, means we draft forwards (Post, Astbury and Griffiths) and try to turn them into backmen. Winning Tattslotto has better odds it would seem.

We are not the only club who drafts tall forwards and turns them into backman. Not too many key position defenders get drafted.

Daniel Merret, Ben Ried, Nathan Brown, Tom Lonergan, Chris Tarrant, etc, etc. The list goes on

We are not the only club who drafts tall forwards and turns them into backman. Not too many key position defenders get drafted.

Daniel Merret, Ben Ried, Nathan Brown, Tom Lonergan, Chris Tarrant, etc, etc. The list goes on
It's a fair point you make and I was being a bit melodramatic, but we still don't have a great track record at it.

Yep and it's not working.

I truly believe Astbury would be a GUN third tall up forward... and I'm getting woried he wont get the chance to show it.

All this development crap gets thrown out the window when we have Miller running around.... and that not having a go at Miller because he deserves his spot and I like what he brings to the side, but he one thing we have an over supply of is Key fowrards in my opinion.
Post, Griffith and Astbury all could be adding trade value you up forward, whilst we chose the best of the three to replase miller.

Miller up back is not as stupid as it sounds at the minute.....

Post needs to play on Dawes.... and he will get absolutely towelled..... which will confirm what most already know.... he is not a defender.

Yep and it's not working.

I truly believe Astbury would be a GUN third tall up forward... and I'm getting woried he wont get the chance to show it.

All this development crap gets thrown out the window when we have Miller running around.... and that not having a go at Miller because he deserves his spot and I like what he brings to the side, but he one thing we have an over supply of is Key fowrards in my opinion.
Post, Griffith and Astbury all could be adding trade value you up forward, whilst we chose the best of the three to replase miller.

Miller up back is not as stupid as it sounds at the minute.....

Post needs to play on Dawes.... and he will get absolutely towelled..... which will confirm what most already know.... he is not a defender.

He needs time to settle in at the back...but that could come at the expense of creating more pressure for Rance and Grimes to cover...

To me...he just doesnt look solid or physical enough to play against the big CHB's in the Comp...ie...Dawes...Brown...Cloke...Reiwoldt...Whoever..

He looks like Bermott Brereton in build to me...solid build up top and chicken legs down below...and as a result he goes to ground too easy...pushed off balance too easy...

Not sure what you do...apart from playing him/bulking him up...and seeing what he has to offer this season...

Post was drafted as a CHB, we then tried to make him at KPF, which didn't work. Now we're trying to convert him back again. With Griffiths I hope the only reason we're playing him at CHB is to get gametime into him rather than trying to reinvent him as a KPD.

He needs time to settle in at the back...but that could come at the expense of creating more pressure for Rance and Grimes to cover...

To me...he just doesnt look solid or physical enough to play against the big CHB's in the Comp...ie...Dawes...Brown...Cloke...Reiwoldt...Whoever..

He looks like Bermott Brereton in build to me...solid build up top and chicken legs down below...and as a result he goes to ground too easy...pushed off balance too easy...

Not sure what you do...apart from playing him/bulking him up...and seeing what he has to offer this season...

I just dont see what benefit he will get by us playing him when he is clearly not upto it.... we are going to get enough inside defensive 50's in the first 5 rounds to put the best defenders in the land under pressure.... Post will break. His body language shows me he plays purely on confidence and thats something that will be in tatters in then next couple of weeks.

I hope I am wrong.....

I want to see him absoulutely dominate for coburg...... control games, So when he gets back he knows he belongs. At the moment I dont think he believes in himself.... and the players around him are also losing confidence in him.
And when that happens he becomes purely a liability.

Is Astbury actually a defender, or a forward we've turned into a defender? I can't remember.

Is Astbury actually a defender, or a forward we've turned into a defender? I can't remember.
The latter, although it may be more accurate to say he's the guy we recruited as a forward, and has barely got on the park yet, and therefore we haven't had the chance to turn him into anything of note.... yet many spruik him as the potential saviour of our defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back