TAC Cup round 2

Humble Minion

Team Captain
Dec 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Went along to Pricefixer Park today for the double-header, always a bit tricky this time of year getting to know all the new blokes, new numbers and so on (made worse by the fact I got there too late to snag a Record, and the TAC Cup site STILL isn't updated with the squad lists - get your s**t together, AFLVic!)

So not a huge review today.

Arrived part way through the second to Nothern-Eastern, and while the margin was only 7 points, the Knights had already had double the scoring shots and it was only a matter of time. Rusty sort of game, footskills weren't quite there yet, and Northern were missing a couple of their better kids to AIS duty. In a scrap like this, body size eventually told, and Eastern were pretty much overpowered in the second half - the margin blew out to almost 10 goals as Eastern were outnumbered and outsized at almost every contest by better-drilled and more organised opponents.

Cameron Conlon the story of the day for me. Skinny pale strawberry redhead, but he stands 196cm as an underager, and his hand-eye coordination, marking, and ground work are all just freakish. He actually deliberately juggled some marks to keep them away from spoilers. As an underager at TAC level, that's some serious composure. I've heard about Jack Martin but never seen him play, but from what I saw today he's got some serious competition for best player in next year's draft pool. Kicked about 5, should have gotten more but sprayed a couple of very gettable shots and spent about a third of the game wasted in the ruck. He's a born kpf though, don't be fooled.

I liked Bonaddio's work in the forward/half-forward line. Quick and always dangerous, worked really hard to apply defensive pressure, got a lot of the ball and used it well. Size a real problem for his draftability, but he was very good.

Jake Kalanj another underager who was good. Nice-sized midfielder, hard as nails, won clearances and had the calmness to choose good options when there was a whole lot of bombing going on. Has his rough edges, but one to keep an eye on.

Luka Celebicanin a very big strong boy, tank kpf type who ran all day and got a lot of ball around the ground and closer to goals when Conlon was rucking. Generally played smart and reliable, not sure how athletic he is though, just looked big.

Things not so great for Eastern, they looked outclassed against a depleted opposition, though it wouldn't have helped them to lose a player to injury early on. Honeychurch buzzed around and made himself annoying, quick without being the sort of express pace you'd hope for someone of his height, physical and fearless but that often just meant he got cleaned up a lot. Nice little player though, another underager.

Boyd was pretty much the Ranges' one avenue to goal. Big, old-fashioned ff with very strong hands but lacking a bit in the speed, agility and leap departments. Timed his leads very well and was near-impossible to spoil, ended up with quite a bag.

For the Dons fans, f/s prospect Jordan Williams was quiet. Played on the wing mostly, but generally found the ball on the other wing to where he was. Did a couple of ok things (unfortunately in his most memorable passage of play he followed up a nice gather, handy baulk and brilliant blind turn with a sprayed shot on goal oof in the pocket) but didn't really impact the game.

Second game panned out rather similar, but was a more open, flowing affair that gave the kids more of a chance to show off what they could do (and was more entertaining to us in the stands too). Western jumped the Chargers early, but couldn't quite put their dominance on the scoreboard due to some inaccurate kicking and the lack of a forward target. Oakleigh got a couple of late goals to head into qtr time just in front, made a few changes, kicked out to a quick 6 goal lead, and then proceeded over the remaining two and a half qtrs to fairly comprehensively grind the Jets into the dirt. Jets simply couldn't find their structure, and far too many of their forward 50 entries were high looping snaps round the corner, not a great percentage option when the opposition is dominating you in the air. Jets fws line dysfunctional all game - Ashlin Brown was getting sucked too far up the ground, Orr lacking a bit of athleticism, and Spencer White, despite a couple of eye-catching runs, just couldn't present consistently enough. And the continual rainmaker f50 entries did 160cm-odd Castellano no favours at all.

Macrae the standout for Oakleigh in my book, 188cm utility/3rd fwd type who pushed more into the midfield as the game went on. Kickstarted the Chargers in the second qtr with a long goal from a mark in the tricky pocket, followed it up within moments with a brilliant left-foot snap from the boundary, and moved onwards and upwards from there. Very strong overhead mark, reads the ball very well, and his footskills were a feature. Ended up with 3 or 4 I think, with a couple of assists. Not lightning fast by all appearances, but wasn't afraid to run & take them on, and didn't get caught as a rule.

Daniel Hachem looks a bit slight but played a good, all-round midfield game both inside and outside. Nice one-touch work.

Chris Prowse should be one of the better ruckman in the TAC this year. His tapwork wasn't always to advantage, and he still had his gangly-kid moments, but he got a lot of the ball, was very mobile, presented as a forward target, filled thehole down back exceptionally, and wasn't disgraced with the ball on the ground. Good game.

Luke McDonald an f/s next year for the Roos, they'd be very happy indeed with him. Good-sized midfielder who is mostly a clearance-winner but used the ball accurately and intelligently outside.

Kristian Jaksch played off half-back in a distributor role, pretty slick type. Generally very good by foot, and has certainly got some range (dobbed one from probably 60). Very much doubt he's 194cm as listed in the Record though.

Dolan ran well though the midfield all game, consistent, hard-working, found space and used the ball reliably.

For Western, too much left to too few. I liked Jake McKenzie's game, never gave up, never stopped running, gave them a bit of movement late when everyone else had stopped.

Josh Bench was in everything all game, quick little guy.

Keenan O'Shea started like a bomb across half-back, taking intercept marks all over the place. Faded significantly after quarter time though.

Nastasi another one that the Chargers shut down after a big start. Hard-running and desperate little bloke with a nice turn of pace, got a mountain of ball early but footskill errors meant he didn't get value for them.

Lachlan Hunter (Dogs f/s) looked classy and composed on the hff early, but just didn't get enough of the ball to impose himself as the game went on.

Nastasi another one that the Chargers shut down after a big start. Hard-running and desperate little bloke with a nice turn of pace, got a mountain of ball early but footskill errors meant he didn't get value for them.

He actually spent the majority of the second half inside the forward 50, and combining the fact the ball was never down there, didn't help the chances of getting the ball.

He dropped a diving mark in the last quarter and didn't reappear, he may have hurt himself.

Sezzac1

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2004
Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
The Dragons turned in a stunning team performance today to really humble the Cannons.

Cannons without a few due to AIS commitments but to use that excuse would do Sandy a disservice.

The way they linked up and moved the ball from 1 end to the other today was a delight to watch. 6 goals into the Highgate breeze shows how much they controlled the footy. Their foot skills in the wind were excellent.

Calder got its 1st goal of the 1st half with 1 minute to go in the 2nd quarter.

Basically the Dragons swarmed Calder today and gave them nothing. Complete team effort by the Dragons. It will be interesting to see how humbling the effect is on Calder who are not use to being beaten into submission in such a brutal fashion. Might be an Oakleigh vs Sandringham GF again judging by what I have seen so far.

Certainly the VC teams are very underwhelming in 2012.

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The timing of the AIS tour is again an issue in my book - even moreso this year with the AIS group being entirely 18 year olds for the first time.

The first 3-4 rounds of TAC are crucial as the players are fresh and the grounds and weather at their best, yet the best players disappear. The standard of what I saw on the weekend was ordinary, sure you might only be taking 2 or 3 players out of a side but it's still not good enough. Why can't the AIS tour in December once Yr 11/12 exams are done, or tour in late January before the school year starts?

Bendigo are the same as usual, Western not looking much better. Eastern are close to the worst TAC Cup side I've ever seen, and had it not been for Tom Boyd they'd be even worse.

Schnail73

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2011
the merry-go-round
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal FC, Box Hill Hawks
The timing of the AIS tour is again an issue in my book - even moreso this year with the AIS group being entirely 18 year olds for the first time.

The first 3-4 rounds of TAC are crucial as the players are fresh and the grounds and weather at their best, yet the best players disappear. The standard of what I saw on the weekend was ordinary, sure you might only be taking 2 or 3 players out of a side but it's still not good enough. Why can't the AIS tour in December once Yr 11/12 exams are done, or tour in late January before the school year starts?

Bendigo are the same as usual, Western not looking much better. Eastern are close to the worst TAC Cup side I've ever seen, and had it not been for Tom Boyd they'd be even worse.
Have to agree with you footyman, went to Eureka Oval on the weekend, the Rebels were the slickest of the 4 sides on display. The Falcons took until 1/2 time to realise who they were playing and then decided to run the Pioneers off their legs. Not that Stringer and Wines would have made up the 9 goals required, but it would have added some class. Falcons mid Saunders was good to watch though, good decision maker, and an extra burst of pace when required, for the Pioneers really only Heavyside could hold his head high.

Why is the schedule such that the AIS side tour now? As you say, Jan would be better suited for all including the players/coaches and importantly, the TAC sides.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't know if I can bear the upcoming two seasons of North fans pumping up McDonald's tyres.

I have been following his progress and the good judges who have seen him reckon we are indeed getting an absolute beauty but jeez, I reckon people will be sick and tired of hearing about him from us before he even plays a game.

THE MOEMAN

All Australian
Jun 29, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just like us with Viney??
It will be that times 2. Viney is good but he wouldn't go top 3 in his draft whereas Luke McDonald would be in the top 2 players of his age in Australia equal with or ahead of James Aish.

I like viney but he is your typical inside mid like Matthew Boyd only shorter. Luke is the elite ball user with great decision making, athleticism and is a very nice size like a Goddard type.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It will be that times 2. Viney is good but he wouldn't go top 3 in his draft whereas Luke McDonald would be in the top 2 players of his age in Australia equal with or ahead of James Aish.

I like viney but he is your typical inside mid like Matthew Boyd only shorter. Luke is the elite ball user with great decision making, athleticism and is a very nice size like a Goddard type.

Ahem, yes.

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Guys Viney would be a top 3 pick in this years draft. He is the best inside mid of his age group by a street.

Contested footy is king at the moment and he is the best at this skill.

Demons have a gem!

By the way so have North with Luke. Both top three of their age group.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power

QUOTE]

My understanding is that bc they are heading thru Europe it required them to leave later. Dont disagree though. Been v disappointing not to see them in the early games. Not sure the clubs are entirely enamoured either.

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My understanding is that bc they are heading thru Europe it required them to leave later. Dont disagree though. Been v disappointing not to see them in the early games. Not sure the clubs are entirely enamoured either.
I think it has more to do with Easter holidays so the kids dont miss two weeks of Year 12.

Bee Vee

Premium Gold
Jan 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Luke McDonald an f/s next year for the Roos, they'd be very happy indeed with him. Good-sized midfielder who is mostly a clearance-winner but used the ball accurately and intelligently outside.

Kristian Jaksch played off half-back in a distributor role, pretty slick type. Generally very good by foot, and has certainly got some range (dobbed one from probably 60). Very much doubt he's 194cm as listed in the Record though.

Jaksch is every bit of 194cm.
How did Curnow and Lennon perform for northern?

TFLUA-Tiger

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg
Have to agree with you footyman, went to Eureka Oval on the weekend, the Rebels were the slickest of the 4 sides on display. The Falcons took until 1/2 time to realise who they were playing and then decided to run the Pioneers off their legs. Not that Stringer and Wines would have made up the 9 goals required, but it would have added some class. Falcons mid Saunders was good to watch though, good decision maker, and an extra burst of pace when required, for the Pioneers really only Heavyside could hold his head high.

Why is the schedule such that the AIS side tour now? As you say, Jan would be better suited for all including the players/coaches and importantly, the TAC sides.

I'm not overly well versed with the fringe Pioneers players, but who can come in and impact apart from Wines and Stringer? Entwisle, Robins, O'Hallaran?

I didn't think the Pio's were terrible. There's a lack of depth, and a few of the big lads got done by sheer pace on numerous occasions - but they worked hard, and were really competitive for a half.

You're right in that Heavyside was head and shoulders better than the rest, but I thought Flood and Marchesi were reasonably impressive, Burgess is dangerous around goals and Kendell competes really well in the ruck for a kid only 191 cm tall.

It's not as bleak as painted for the Pio's.

Humble Minion

Team Captain
Dec 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Jaksch is every bit of 194cm.
How did Curnow and Lennon perform for northern?

First time I'd watched a game from the top tier on the wing opposite the scoreboard, and while the view is better on the whole, the angle might have messed me up with judging Jaksch's height. I'll have another look next time...

I saw Curnow do a couple of nice things, but to be honest I didn't really get to look at either of these blokes properly, sorry. First time this year I'd seen either side, so I was still working out who was who.

TFLUA-Tiger

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg
Any thoughts on the Pioneers ruckman Zac May?

He's raw, but there's bits to work with. He covers the ground pretty well, is quick and kicks the ball pretty well for a big guy. Don't know if he impacts enough contests at this stage, and that's the big flaw for mine.

He's a big kid, competes well in the tap and can offer more around the ground than he does at present.

At the moment he does good things in patches, if he starts to develop consistency over 4 quarters, look out!

i think he's one to keep an eye on if he continues to improve - there's already been obvious importance in the first 2 rounds.

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Tour can't be done to Europe in December/January as the weather would be unsuitable, and the best time for the players to train with an AFL club (a crucial part of the whole program) is over the summer - they certainly couldn't do it during the season.

They have to go overseas for AIS funding, and it has to be in school holidays for the kids. 2nd term holidays = Nationals. 3rd term holidays = finals/Draft Combine, summer holidays = poor weather in Europe/AFL club visits.

No way around it that I can see, unless they did a week at an AFL club then went overseas to South Africa or New Zealand in January.

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Tour can't be done to Europe in December/January as the weather would be unsuitable, and the best time for the players to train with an AFL club (a crucial part of the whole program) is over the summer - they certainly couldn't do it during the season.

They have to go overseas for AIS funding, and it has to be in school holidays for the kids. 2nd term holidays = Nationals. 3rd term holidays = finals/Draft Combine, summer holidays = poor weather in Europe/AFL club visits.

No way around it that I can see, unless they did a week at an AFL club then went overseas to South Africa or New Zealand in January.
Maybe they need to find somewhere other than Europe to go then!!

Whenever we have early Easter holidays it is a problem. Last year, Easter was April 22/23/24 so it was not so bad. The AIS tour was overseas for Anzac Day. The kids actually played the first 2 or 3 TAC Cup rounds before they went. And last year only a small portion of the group were a draftable age.

This year, it's a disgrace. All 30 AIS academy players are draftable and it has robbed the TAC Cup to the point it's almost pointless watching it. I saw Dandenong v Sandringham last week and it was crap. Gotta feel sorry for Dandenong - their four AIS kids miss the first three games, then a couple go straight back to school footy, then Vic Country so the Stingrays will be lucky to see them before August. Those that come back from the AIS tour and play TAC first up will be as flat as pancakes. It's not good enough.

The first month of TAC Cup needs to be uncompromised - full squads, dry weather, kids fit and fresh and able to put their best foot forward. Instead the best players are overseas on some mickey mouse tour playing a bunch of spuds who cant even kick a goal.

WestCoastWizkid

Debutant
Jan 4, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe they need to find somewhere other than Europe to go then!!

Whenever we have early Easter holidays it is a problem. Last year, Easter was April 22/23/24 so it was not so bad. The AIS tour was overseas for Anzac Day. The kids actually played the first 2 or 3 TAC Cup rounds before they went. And last year only a small portion of the group were a draftable age.

This year, it's a disgrace. All 30 AIS academy players are draftable and it has robbed the TAC Cup to the point it's almost pointless watching it. I saw Dandenong v Sandringham last week and it was crap. Gotta feel sorry for Dandenong - their four AIS kids miss the first three games, then a couple go straight back to school footy, then Vic Country so the Stingrays will be lucky to see them before August. Those that come back from the AIS tour and play TAC first up will be as flat as pancakes. It's not good enough.

The first month of TAC Cup needs to be uncompromised - full squads, dry weather, kids fit and fresh and able to put their best foot forward. Instead the best players are overseas on some mickey mouse tour playing a bunch of spuds who cant even kick a goal.
Totally agree Footyman, nothing better than seeing all the talent early and ready to play!!!

It seems more like a holiday for touring staff members than the players!!

Back