FTA-TV 2012 Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

NO AFL supporter is saying that the AFL will"take over" western Sydney any time soon
Its about choice for the coming generations and growing marketing share.

The only people that seem to think that the AFL is waging War on RL is the thugby types on LU and the Murdoch press.

That time is past now. Time to call a spade a spade.

We have the best game, RL can please itself.

The ratings on GEM are embarrassing for the NRL given their fan base who was aware.

A certain poster known as Boomshanka on the Roar website has been calling for the AFL and NRL to go head to head on Friday night. Well they have.

Here are the results in Melbourne:

Crowds
78,000 to AFL
11,000 to NRL

Tv ratings not incl Fox
467,000 for AFL
26,000 for NRL

Laugh Out Loud. :p

That's a code war post :thumbsu:

.Shotties. said:
I thought given I'd used 08 as a basis for comparison previously you'd have gathered who I was discussing when I talked about the best player in the league at the time playing for his new team.

I thought you were talking about the thursday night game. Alas, Chris Judd making his 1st an appearance for Carlton doesn't really do it for me in a history sense.

.Shotties. said:
I'm aware of it's place in history, (although in fairness, I doubt how much you could tell me, for example, about Freo's entry or even Port's entry which arguably had a lot more history and prestige around it than the Giants') however I don't subscribe to the varying levels of build up and hype I've seen put forth as a means to describe what a failure the first Derby was.

Certainly don't know a lot about Freo's entry as I really wasn't that into the game back then. I became more aware of them when my boy joined his first club who played in their jumpers. I'm well aware of the history of the PAFC although again no little of their entry.

Can't recall saying the Derby was a failure. Thought the ratings were poor and here we are. Please let me know when it's ok for me to pass on any negative comment on the game without any finger pointing.

the ratings in Sydney for the derby were disappointing, but it's the very beginning of the giants journey there. their entry was always the early one, the ambitious expansion attempt, they will need alot more time and promotion.

everything else about the round is on record pace. it's shaping up to be the most watched and attended round of Aussie rules football of all time.

Thought the ratings were poor and here we are. Please let me know when it's ok for me to pass on any negative comment on the game without any finger pointing.

You're becoming hysterical. To borrow a tack, I never said you couldn't say anything negative, I just disagree with your statement of how hyped / historical the game was. I provided a game that would mean more to most people who followed the game and I provided a basis for saying that just because a team was entering, doesn't mean the game is a big, memorable or historic one.

I actually have all the time in the world for your input on discussions of this nature as I know you're not one to trash either code or get petty about it, I just feel your statement was off this time.

This comment perplexes me.

1.Why is this "the only thing that counts"? :confused:
The AFL are pinning future prosperity on popularity in Sydney/NSW, yes? That being the case, only Sydney ratings count. Through other factors, like inflation, if ratings/crowd figures dipped in VIC/SA/WA/TAS in the next five years, the AFL will still get more for TV rights than what they got last time. On top of that, the NRL have never committed to a huge presence in Melbourne (often it comes across a token) in the same way the AFL does in Sydney/NSW. They're not as fussed about TV ratings in Melbourne. As a result, those ratings hold less value.

2. AFL ratings in NSW/QLD are 5 times higher than NRL in WA/SA/VIC when the AFL's FTA and foxtel figures for the same game are added.
It may be 5x higher, but does that mean it's still an accepted mainstream sport over there?

3. So far the ratings indicate the AFL is more popular in it's homeland than NRL is its.
I'm assuming you meant "the NRL is in it's"? All that means is that the AFL is more popular in VIC than the NRL is in NSW and nothing else. It's just a reflection of culture or something we are not yet aware of, rather than one thing being better or more accepted than another overall.

This doesn't even take into account the more obvious and measurable indicator being attendances.
I'm not convinced that attendances are as obvious and measurable as an indicator, as what you are. I mean, Cricket isn't more popular or more accepted in Victoria because a huge crowd turns up to Boxing day, compared to the attendances of tests in other states.

100,000 odd turn up to the GP (despite all the negative publicity it gets), even when the race clashes with the first week of the AFL. Which is more than any game of Aussie rules. Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond aren't racing teams in the GP. But no one is going to say F1/motorsport is more popular than footy in VIC despite this fact.

I can use other comparisons but, do I have to?

.Shotties. said:
You're becoming hysterical.

More frustrated than anything.

.Shotties. said:
To borrow a tack, I never said you couldn't say anything negative, I just disagree with your statement of how hyped / historical the game was. I provided a game that would mean more to most people who followed the game and I provided a basis for saying that just because a team was entering, doesn't mean the game is a big, memorable or historic one.

I actually have all the time in the world for your input on discussions of this nature as I know you're not one to trash either code or get petty about it, I just feel your statement was off this time.

Fair enough. Appreciate the words. :thumbsu:

The AFL are pinning future prosperity on popularity in Sydney/NSW, yes? That being the case, only Sydney ratings count. Through other factors, like inflation, if ratings/crowd figures dipped in VIC/SA/WA/TAS in the next five years, the AFL will still get more for TV rights than what they got last time. On top of that, the NRL have never committed to a huge presence in Melbourne (often it comes across a token) in the same way the AFL does in Sydney/NSW. They're not as fussed about TV ratings in Melbourne. As a result, those ratings hold less value.

It may be 5x higher, but does that mean it's still an accepted mainstream sport over there?

I'm assuming you meant "the NRL is in it's"? All that means is that the AFL is more popular in VIC than the NRL is in NSW and nothing else. It's just a reflection of culture or something we are not yet aware of, rather than one thing being better or more accepted than another overall.

I'm not convinced that attendances are as obvious and measurable as an indicator, as what you are. I mean, Cricket isn't more popular or more accepted in Victoria because a huge crowd turns up to Boxing day, compared to the attendances of tests in other states.

100,000 odd turn up to the GP (despite all the negative publicity it gets), even when the race clashes with the first week of the AFL. Which is more than any game of Aussie rules. Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond aren't racing teams in the GP. But no one is going to say F1/motorsport is more popular than footy in VIC despite this fact.

Mate! Footy is bigger and will always be bigger, build a ****ing bridge!!!

Are you honestly comparing once yearly events to nine weekly crowds over the course of six months?

KuGsj.gif

That's not a comparison at all you bell-end. Firstly, the F1 is a three day event with a crowd totalling 100k. The AFL is a three hour event and several times a season either hits 100k or goes close.

A fair comparison would be three days of AFL action from Thursday this week, which saw a crowd of 190,000 push through the turnstiles.

NSW and Qld are part of the AFLs expansion plan. They are not the entire future! :rolleyes: It's not the only thing that matters. Put it this way, come the next tv rights deal, if NSW hasn't grown substantially, but AFL states continue like they have, the AFL will still get a good deal. But if NSW has doubled and AFL states have dropped off in popularity I bet the deal is significantly worse. The AFL are realistic about expansion into Sydney. They know it will be decades until the GWS gain a decent supporter base. They understand that grass roots development is the true indicator of expansion. This is the area the NRL is way behind the AFL in expansion states.

I think you're insulting SA and WA with your comments about the AFL following in Vic. These states are all members of their teams and attend AFL in great numbers compared to NSW and NRL.

As to your comments on crowds, of course they are a great indicator of popularity. But comparing single yearly events like the boxing day test or GP to regular season matches is farcicle. If you tally up the total attendance of these regular games and compare them to the F1GP you will see the true difference in popularity. It's here the AFL, in all its homeland states, absolutely flogs the NRL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KuGsj.gif

That's not a comparison at all you bell-end. Firstly, the F1 is a three day event with a crowd totalling 100k. The AFL is a three hour event and several times a season either hits 100k or goes close.

A fair comparison would be three days of AFL action from Thursday this week, which saw a crowd of 190,000 push through the turnstiles.

F1 is 100k a day for sat and Sunday...

And if F1 was in Melbourne every weekend for 6 months, watch the crowd numbers drop. Lots of people nationally make the trip to Melbourne for the F1 because its a once a year event. Most probably would not even do it for a 2nd time in one year.

Mate! Footy is bigger and will always be bigger, build a ****ing bridge!!!

In your very, very, very little corner of the world ..... United you need that bridge yourself to get a gig in the real world, ditch the white stick for openers, and get the hell outa Dodge aka south east Melbourne !!

Is Vic Australias smallest state, or is it your whole world?

ok remaining fox ratings are in thanks to mediaweek twtter
Hawks v pies 267k
Freo v Geel 122k
Melb v Bris 192k
GC v Adel 211k
North v Essendon 209k
Bulldogs v Eagles 229k
Port v Saints 260k

Total Metro ratings: 4.945 million
New ALL time metro viewing record (by a million viewers)
1.428 million more than Round 1 2011 (a 45% increase in metro viewers)

Hawks v pies 267k
Freo v Geel 122k
Melb v Bris 192k
GC v Adel 211k
North v Essendon 209k
Bulldogs v Eagles 229k
Port v Saints 260k

Excellent figures. One question though...The FTA figures are definitely metro. I have read somewhere that the Foxtel figures are country wide. Can you confirm?

Actually not likely, the 37k is the Gold Coast v Adelaide game as far as Im aware, Brisbane v Melbourne was only shown in Brisbane on 7mate, so hopefully we'll get those figures later - the released figures are for saturday night afl only AFAIK
Dumb scheduling move for mine then - having both QLD teams playing so close to each other and cannibalising the audience.

Hawks v pies 267k
Freo v Geel 122k
Melb v Bris 192k
GC v Adel 211k
North v Essendon 209k
Bulldogs v Eagles 229k
Port v Saints 260k

Fox ratings are national which means they are metro and regional combined. You don't know what the metro total was.

Hawks v pies 267k
Freo v Geel 122k
Melb v Bris 192k
GC v Adel 211k
North v Essendon 209k
Bulldogs v Eagles 229k
Port v Saints 260k

did you add the interstate's taking fox games?

Ie Brisbane, Gold Coast, Fremantle, West Coast, Adelaide and Port Adelaide games were all shown on FTA on the local markets as well as fox. The Freo games would be in that sat night figure, not sure of the rest.

Hawks v pies 267k
Freo v Geel 122k
Melb v Bris 192k
GC v Adel 211k
North v Essendon 209k
Bulldogs v Eagles 229k
Port v Saints 260k

Freo v Geelong up against North v Essendon is interesting. both cracking games with similar combined sized supporter bases. so why did the PayTV only one have 60% more viewers. It appears that a good proportion of those with PayTV are choosing to watch the FTA coverage:confused: I guess the neutrals in WA would watch the North V Essendon game knowing the other game will be televised on delay.

Hawks v pies 267k
Freo v Geel 122k
Melb v Bris 192k
GC v Adel 211k
North v Essendon 209k
Bulldogs v Eagles 229k
Port v Saints 260k

Fantastic ratings, great for the AFL, but seriously, all this does is confirm in my mind how flawed TV ratings are, does anybody really believe that 45% more people watched the footy this year than last, its possible but highly unlikely, its possible that this many people have always watched the footy.

And if we are going to compare the AFL to the NRL, in my mind, the memberships, crowds, and respective income streams are the best ways to compare.

Freo v Geelong up against North v Essendon is interesting. both cracking games with similar combined sized supporter bases. so why did the PayTV only one have 60% more viewers. It appears that a good proportion of those with PayTV are choosing to watch the FTA coverage:confused: I guess the neutrals in WA would watch the North V Essendon game knowing the other game will be televised on delay.

I was under the inpression that Freo/Geelong was live on FTA in WA, at least i thought it was.

Fantastic ratings, great for the AFL, but seriously, all this does is confirm in my mind how flawed TV ratings are, does anybody really believe that 45% more people watched the footy this year than last, its possible but highly unlikely, its possible that this many people have always watched the footy.

And if we are going to compare the AFL to the NRL, in my mind, the memberships, crowds, and respective income streams are the best ways to compare.

Live games across the nation were always going to have a significant effect. I'm not sure why anyone would believe differently.

Whether a 45 per cent increase is sustainable across the year is another story, particularly since the round one numbers were propped up by having the Sydney vs GWS game on a different weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back