MRP / Trib. AFL Round 1 charges - Scarlett accepts three-match ban and Kelly accepts reprimand for striking

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Scarlett's left hook

I wonder if the AFL will send a please explain to Ports Allipate Carlisle for tweeting "Well done Matthew Scarlett for doing what every footballer wants to do" [not the exact words]

I was wondering that too. Apparently one of Carlile's teammates retweeted it as well.

As did Steven Motlop.
What he's doing on twitter 45 mins post game has me confused though. :confused:

Ive been saying this for years, i agree completely, you said it well.

Anyone that still goes on about it is a fool.

Literally in primary school footy you are taught to watch the hips, it's the biggest give away of where the player is going to go next.

I"M getting Jack of all this rubbish about Scarlett being so unprofessional and undisciplined in losing his cool. I mean..how much crap does a man have to take from a weasel like Ballantine? MS is a celebrated defender with three premierships and multiple AA honors to his name.He loves his team and was fully aware that the mouthy, disrespectful arse wipe in his face ( who"s career thus far wouldnt warrant his carrying of Scarletts toiletries ) had just gotten done belting a long time teamate in the nuts! I reckon his punch was completely restrained..unfortunately.

Selwood does not duck his head, what he does is role his shoulders upward, which causes the tacklers arm to slip off the shoulder and onto the head. Very smart player.

Selwood does not duck his head, what he does is role his shoulders upward, which causes the tacklers arm to slip off the shoulder and onto the head. Very smart player.

Exactly, but you're preaching to the choir posting that in here, and unfortunately those who question his actions rarely listen to reason like that.

Re: Scarletts left hook

:thumbsdown:
here's an idea
Why don't opposition players tackle at the hips instead of trying to bear hug him in a vein attempt to tackle?

The reason why they don't is because he is running at such high speed and intensity that any attempt would cause them injury.
It's why he is able to get away from the tackle and receive the free kick as they are quite poor tacklers and the arms usually end up around his neck instead of around his waist like a tackle should be laid.

Rugby players are masters of the tackling through the hips and it's not Selwood who needs to be blamed but the way AFL players are tackling today.

Watch this classic tackle and you tell me how many times we see this in today's game

It's not rocket science, either tackle at the hips or risk giving away the free kicks time and time again ;)

The reason why they try and get the arms as well is to stop him getting the ball out while being tackled.

The reason why they try and get the arms as well is to stop him getting the ball out while being tackled.

I guess the only way to tackle him effectively then is to try and grab him around the forearms or pin his arms to his sides.

I'm not excusing or defending what Scarlett did, but provocation really needs to be taken into account by the MRP (not only in this case, but in others).

Paul Chapman is one of the toughest and most courageous players in the league. To see him on his haunches and throwing up about 150m away from the play can only have meant one thing - that he was felled by Ballantyne well outside the rules/spirit of the game. Football is a team game and players want to stick up for their teammates. Clearly the Geelong players were disgusted by Ballantyne's actions and emotions were running high. We seemed to be on a mission to get revenge on him after that, but while most (ie Duncan's big hip and shoulder) attempts were legal, Scarlett stupidly overstepped the line. Does anyone believe that Scarlett would have snapped like that, had Ballantyne not done what he did to Chapman? Has anyone seen our cool and collected coach talk to an opposition player like he did to Ballantyne at half time? Of course not.

Scarlett deserves two weeks for stupidity but I firmly believe that Ballantyne deserves the same if not a harsher penalty (regardless of whether there's clear footage of the incident or not - didn't help Selwood last year) and that Ballantyne needs to be regarded as the instigator of all the sniping and dirty play that took place on Saturday night.

When can we expect the MRP verdict - 5pm or a bit earlier?

It looked alot worse than what Scarlett intended I think, and that is the problem.

As volatile as the match had become, I can't imagine Scarlo would have deliberately socked the guy in the face in full view of the umpires. More likely, he was trying to glance him in the throat/shoulder (i.e; jumper punch without the jumper) and clumsily missed a bit high clipping the bottom of his chin. What it looked like though, no matter what angle you show it from was a square old punch to the jaw.

That defence, low impact and a guilty plea will save him some damage, but as much as the fact it was Ballantyne, the AFL won't take too lightly to such a dangerous response.

If the word is Jarrad Waite is set to get 2 for what he did, then Scarlo is looking at 3-4 weeks with a bad record (might be less had his record been clean) at best I'd say, probably with some points to carry over for future indiscretions.

What I think the AFL will do is send Ballantyne a message that he cant get away with his antics and dole out a hefty punishment for his behind the play hit on Chapman, even without any footage that is just as harsh as Scarlett's.

Provocation should definitely be a factor in considering punishment but considering all the efforts the AFL are putting towards removing any physicality, it seems very unlikely reforms in that direction will happen.

"Provocation" and retaliation were not traditionally tolerated that's why Essendon didn't have John Coleman at full forward for the 1951 finals. Carlton's Harry Caspar got 4 weeks for striking Coleman and Coleman was charged with and got 4 weeks for "retaliating". Coleman's defence of being "provoked" was dismissed.

Up to 1961 there had been 31 reports for "retaliating" with the maximum suspension being 10 weeks. Since then the term and charge "retaliating" have not been used.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. And I wish he was playing 30 years ago so Mick Malthouse could have removed him from planet Earth with a king hit behind play. Again and again and again.

Instead, I just hope he suffers a career ending knee injury. He's Steven Baker mark II. No talent and wouldn't be able to get a kick on merit.

Let's pray for injuries.
No haha, the reason balla is so good at annoying opposition is because he has the talent to back up his huge mouth. If you give him a free near goal or near our 50, he's usually a deadly player. He kicks or sets up a goal and then there he is back in your face to do it again.

"Provocation" and retaliation were not traditionally tolerated that's why Essendon didn't have John Coleman at full forward for the 1951 finals. Carlton's Harry Caspar got 4 weeks for striking Coleman and Coleman was charged with and got 4 weeks for "retaliating". Coleman's defence of being "provoked" was dismissed.

Up to 1961 there had been 31 reports for "retaliating" with the maximum suspension being 10 weeks. Since then the term and charge "retaliating" have not been used.

How can you explain Des Headland getting off striking charges then?

No haha, the reason balla is so good at annoying opposition is because he has the talent to back up his huge mouth. If you give him a free near goal or near our 50, he's usually a deadly player. He kicks or sets up a goal and then there he is back in your face to do it again.

ballantyne_western_derby_2011.gif

Yep sure is

This is what it will be;

Intentional (3 points), Medium (2 points), High (2 points) = 7 Activation points.

Level 4 offence, resulting in 325 demerit points.

The 325 points are multiplied by a 20% loading for previous record + Carry Over points (54.69) which equals 444.69 points (4 week suspension)

If he accepts the charge he will receive a 25% discount = 333.52 (3 week suspension).

Please someone out there tell me about Chris Scotts comment that he would like Ballintyne in our team
Is he being clever, a smart alec or serious.
Surely he can't mean that he would prefer a sniper to a premiership player. Surely he can't be saying that our players are soft. Surely he can't being feeling nostalgic about that scum Freemantle team,.
Please, please clear this up,

Chris Scott probably see's a little bit of himself in Ballantyne.

How can you explain Des Headland getting off striking charges then?

He can't cause he has ignored that a few times, but anyone gutless enough to be unlisted and won't show who they go for should not be taken seriously.

He can't cause he has ignored that a few times, but anyone gutless enough to be unlisted and won't show who they go for should not be taken seriously.

In fairness to RogerResults, I find him one of the best posters on Big Footy, and I was under the impression he barracked for Richmond.

I disagree with him on this though. Geelong should definitely plead provocation!

I was also reading on the Fremantle board according to their supporters if Geelong provide the honest truth to the AFL investigator, it is a dog act by a dog club. Its funny how they are happy to condone a player like Ballantyne, yet call a club who look after their own a 'dog club'.

This whole code of silence should be a thing fo the 80s. Hawthorn didnt give a s**t about the code when Guerra got hit by Selwood, nor should they. I hope Geelong do the same and get Ballyntine suspended for as long as possible.

Um...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5d8qE-BbFg[/youtube]

You should probably watch the clip if you're using it as evidence that Scott doesn't risk being clocked in retaliation.
You only have to watch for 30 extra seconds before Hamill swings his elbow back at him.

Want another go at it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back