FTA-TV 2012 Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 10, 2006
Paris
AFL Club
West Coast
WTF only 3000? Where are these 3000 based? Surely we have the technology to have every single household counted? Or at least in 2014 when every single TV is running digitally we surely would have that sort of technology

Tvs receive digital signals, they don't send them.

Each tv would have to be either wired to the Internet, a fixed phone line, or a 3G chip in it to send the information back.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
GWS vs Sydney 940,000
Richmond vs Carlton 1,001,000
Hawthorn vs Collingwood 1,074,000
Melbourne vs Brisbane 192,000
Gold Coast vs Adelaide 377,000
Fremantle vs Geelong 664,000
North Melbourne vs Essendon 209,000
Western Bulldogs vs West Coast 404,000
Port Adelaide vs St Kilda 392,000

Total: 5,253,000
This doesn't include the regionals. Do we have a list that does?

Furn

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tvs receive digital signals, they don't send them.

Each tv would have to be either wired to the Internet, a fixed phone line, or a 3G chip in it to send the information back.

Plus theres privacy issues, people who have ratings boxes consent to do it.

Im not sure I want people knowing when I'm watching Hi-5.

Dec 12, 2009
Barkly St
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Seagulls, Kookaburras
Fox Footy was the most popular STV for the week - interesting to see whether that will continue for the next 26 weeks.

All of a sudden, it's crystal clear why Fox paid the big money to get all of the footy - they are able to sustain a complete channel on all the games, 3 or 4 replays of each game, a dozen talk shows, and 3 or 4 repeats of those talks shows.

And all that has been achieved with only a small increase in subscriptions in the Southern states, which will clearly grow over the next few years.

Incredibly, ch 7 are getting all time high ratings as well with simulcast games - everyone's a winner.

finders

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 24, 2004
Brighton
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Cricket,Olympics,F1GP,Tennis,Boxing
Fox Footy was the most popular STV for the week - interesting to see whether that will continue for the next 26 weeks.

All of a sudden, it's crystal clear why Fox paid the big money to get all of the footy - they are able to sustain a complete channel on all the games, 3 or 4 replays of each game, a dozen talk shows, and 3 or 4 repeats of those talks shows.

And all that has been achieved with only a small increase in subscriptions in the Southern states, which will clearly grow over the next few years.

Incredibly, ch 7 are getting all time high ratings as well with simulcast games - everyone's a winner.

Yes you would think that CH7 would lose some viewers to Fox but so far that dosent seem to have happened.I think it will also depend on the split of games that seven end up with.

Maybe as the season goes on and more people take up subs with Fox it may change.The figures for Fox were also excellent.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
[/B]

Yes you would think that CH7 would lose some viewers to Fox but so far that dosent seem to have happened.I think it will also depend on the split of games that seven end up with.

Invariably they are losing viewers to Fox, but when you show the games live there's going to be a bigger pot of viewers to share.

Maybe as the season goes on and more people take up subs with Fox it may change.The figures for Fox were also excellent.

They were, although it wouldn't surprise me if they're not quite as good in the next couple of weeks. Usually there are 3 timeslots where 2 games are played at similar times - last week there was only one. This splits the audience.

Demonoid

All Australian
Dec 17, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GWS
This doesn't include the regionals. Do we have a list that does?

Regional FTA ratings take a bit longer to come out. I believe some use the manual diary method which of course may not be accurate. Also, they do not include areas like SA or NT which are AFL dominated areas. They also double count areas like Gold Coast (once for regional, and again as part of Brisbane). For these reasons, NRL types love them though as they frequently show a bias towards them.

You'll note that media executives do not regard them as highly as 5 city metro FTA (and foxtel which is more accurate).

I'd estimate when you add regionals, you'd be looking at close to 7m viewers for the opening round.

This is the site for regional ratings

http://www.regionaltam.com.au/

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Mate! Footy is bigger and will always be bigger, build a ****ing bridge!!!
Sydney Harbour Bridge, where Rugby League is a accepted, mainstream and popular competition/game, unlike footy? ;):p

Are you honestly comparing once yearly events to nine weekly crowds over the course of six months?
You seem to have been confused with the analogy I used. Crowds that go weekly to footy go because it's a lifestyle, rather than it being great/better relative to RL in Sydney. I'm saying you can't look at figures as a black + white indicator of popularity.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
NSW and Qld are part of the AFLs expansion plan. They are not the entire future! :rolleyes: It's not the only thing that matters. Put it this way, come the next tv rights deal, if NSW hasn't grown substantially, but AFL states continue like they have, the AFL will still get a good deal. But if NSW has doubled and AFL states have dropped off in popularity I bet the deal is significantly worse.
You and I disagree here. Unfortunately, it will take a long time to find out definitely

The AFL are realistic about expansion into Sydney. They know it will be decades until the GWS gain a decent supporter base. They understand that grass roots development is the true indicator of expansion. This is the area the NRL is way behind the AFL in expansion states.
It would not take a lot of the NRL to counter this. Do the AFL also acknowledge that it's not "definite" that they will even get a decent supporter base in a few decades?

I think you're insulting SA and WA with your comments about the AFL following in Vic. These states are all members of their teams and attend AFL in great numbers compared to NSW and NRL.
If you could care to explain why it's insulting?

As to your comments on crowds, of course they are a great indicator of popularity.
Like I was saying in the previous post, it's not a question of popularity, rather particular lifestyle in each city/town/area. Brisbane/QLD I think provide a clearer, not exact, analysis of the two comps than Sydney/NSW will.

But comparing single yearly events like the boxing day test or GP to regular season matches is farcicle. If you tally up the total attendance of these regular games and compare them to the F1GP you will see the true difference in popularity. It's here the AFL, in all its homeland states, absolutely flogs the NRL.
Did you or anyone else even get the analogy? I mean, the GABBA test draws minimal crowds, especially compared to the Boxing day test. But is that saying cricket is more popular in VIC than QLD? No, it isn't. Are there other factors involved as to why those tests get differing crowds? Yes, there are. I'm say this "x factor" contributes to lower overall attendances in all sports in Sydney/NSW. The NRL suffers most because of it. It does not mean it's less significant.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
You and I disagree here. Unfortunately, it will take a long time to find out definitely

It would not take a lot of the NRL to counter this. Do the AFL also acknowledge that it's not "definite" that they will even get a decent supporter base in a few decades?

If you could care to explain why it's insulting?

Like I was saying in the previous post, it's not a question of popularity, rather particular lifestyle in each city/town/area. Brisbane/QLD I think provide a clearer, not exact, analysis of the two comps than Sydney/NSW will.

Did you or anyone else even get the analogy? I mean, the GABBA test draws minimal crowds, especially compared to the Boxing day test. But is that saying cricket is more popular in VIC than QLD? No, it isn't. Are there other factors involved as to why those tests get differing crowds? Yes, there are. I'm say this "x factor" contributes to lower overall attendances in all sports in Sydney/NSW. The NRL suffers most because of it. It does not mean it's less significant.
people go to sporting events to be entertained. That's why they go to the afl in big numbers, because many people find it entertaining. That's why most NRL crowds are so poor, little entertainment, and few followers ;)

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Of course bums on seats is the best way to measure an entertainment medium's strength. Twist it any way you want, but it will always remain that way. Any moron can sit on their fat arse and watch a game on telly, but a sport that inspires people in great numbers to get off that fat arse and get out and watch the game live, often in the freezing cold, that's the stronger sport.
Fortunately for football, it draws massive crowds and rates through the roof, and makes ridiculous money from TV. And thugby leagues would cut off its right and left arm, and sell its grandma to get even close to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fushy

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sydney Harbour Bridge, where Rugby League is a accepted, mainstream and popular competition/game, unlike footy? ;):p

The bridge dominates the view out of my east facing windows at home, but while most people who live near me follow Rugby... its not the League version of it they follow.

zero

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2003
Oval, SW8, South London
Other Teams
WA state-of-origin
You seem to have been confused with the analogy I used. Crowds that go weekly to footy go because it's a lifestyle, rather than it being great/better relative to RL in Sydney. I'm saying you can't look at figures as a black + white indicator of popularity.
well you cant anyway, because no one goes to your games.

paranoid rugby league trolls are the only ones who will tell you that 2 80k crowds in 1 round mean nothing.

of course, what it is is a black and white indicator of its profitability. club memberships, signage, travelling fans...the AFL goes into every stadium negotiation with guarantees of big attendances, something league just cant do.

thats why stadiums queensland paid for metricon, why the NSW government paid for skoda, why in a couple of years the league will own docklands stadium. its because we actually turn out.

the only league fans that actually go to games are broncos fans. thats why they have the best stadium in the league and penrith stadium is...quaint.

Livid_Swan

Rookie
Apr 2, 2005
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
AFL 360 was also the most matched show on Foxtel last night (92,000 viewers).

Beaussie

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Western Sydney
Does anyone know what's happened to the talking footy ratings site? Getting the not found message.

Apologies for that. Site was down for a couple of days. Had to get the all clear from OzTAM first and add OzTAM copyright information. Site back up now after checking by OzTAM and approval granted. :thumbsu:

Demonoid

All Australian
Dec 17, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GWS
Apologies for that. Site was down for a couple of days. Had to get the all clear from OzTAM first and add OzTAM copyright information. Site back up now after checking by OzTAM and approval granted. :thumbsu:
@Beaussie - Are you the guy who runs that website (or provides the data)? If so, would be good if you could include regional FTA as well. I know Regionals should be taken with a kilo of salt (e.g. not including AFL places like SA/NT etc double counting NRl places like Gold Coast and Central Coast with Bris/Syd respectively), but it would be good to see what the comparison is.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
AFL 360 was also the most matched show on Foxtel last night (92,000 viewers).

The numbers for most of Fox footy's produced shows have been pretty good, especially since the season has started. This is why an AFL channel is viable - the sport has a lot more hardcore supporters that will watch a bunch of blokes sitting around talking about footy. It's cheap to produce and a lot of people will watch. Even the repeats occasionally make the top 20 shows of the day.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
The bridge dominates the view out of my east facing windows at home, but while most people who live near me follow Rugby... its not the League version of it they follow.
You see, I thought Easts, South Sydney and, to a lesser extent, Manly and St George, were popular teams with big histories behind them. But apparently, they were expansion teams. A part of NSWRL's 100+ year plan to expand Rugby League into Greater Eastern Sydney?

You do bring up something to consider. Something which doesn't seem to have been considered in these pseudo RL s*** canning threads. What if, 100 years ago, there was a breakaway aussie rules comp, similar to what League was to Rugby? Does anyone think, had that occurred, the current footy crowds would be the same as they are now?

Consider a current Melbourne vs NMelb/interstate crowd at the MCG for instance, Then consider if, instead of the G, they had to play that game in a "boutique" ground in Casey Fields? Consider Melb v NMelb/interstate, at Casey Fields and if Melbourne was as big of a pain in the a*** to get around in as Sydney? On top of having a similar game being part of the city (Like Rugby/RL in Sydney)? All of this = similar sized crowds to what you'd get in Penrith. I'd say even less, because unlike Melb (some other AFL teams as well), Penrith is still a respected club . Clutching at strws if you think a Melb/Coll game is getting 40k+ in Casey too.

But all of you understand that, don't you? I'll also throw in, A RL SoO game, between NSW/QLD, pulls a bigger crowd in Melbourne than a footy SoO between VIC/SA in Sydney/Brisbane. So can anyone explain that? All of you know it does/has/would. Don't even bother denying it.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
well you cant anyway, because no one goes to your games.
Who are you talking to?

the only league fans that actually go to games are broncos fans. thats why they have the best stadium in the league and penrith stadium is...quaint.
I could say Brisbane has the Advantage of being a one-team town. But, it seems, that would be too much for you to understand. Having a go at Penrith? LOL! Go Panthers!

people go to sporting events to be entertained. That's why they go to the afl in big numbers, because many people find it entertaining. That's why most NRL crowds are so poor, little entertainment, and few followers ;)
Are you saying AFL fans are bored theatregoers? Did you account that, maybe, Sydneysiders have other things to do or more options for entertaintment.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Of course bums on seats is the best way to measure an entertainment medium's strength. Twist it any way you want, but it will always remain that way. Any moron can sit on their fat arse and watch a game on telly, but a sport that inspires people in great numbers to get off that fat arse and get out and watch the game live, often in the freezing cold, that's the stronger sport.
Fortunately for football, it draws massive crowds and rates through the roof, and makes ridiculous money from TV. And thugby leagues would cut off its right and left arm, and sell its grandma to get even close to it.
Keep telling yourself that. What spoils your conclusion is that is that you didn't eliminate all possible variables and didn't only include common factors, or as many possible (e.g. Melbourne and Sydney are two different cities, therefore the comparison is irrelevant).

Compare the popularity of 9 RL teams in Sydney and 9 AFL teams in Sydney, in corresponding RL suburbs. That would be a more accurate measure of how popular footy is over there. But i forgot, the intent is to s*** can League, sorry about that.

PS.That was too much for me. If there's a next time that, I'm only bothering with mxett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back