Preview AFL Round 2 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, 3:10PM Monday 9 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
cats.jpg

No Scarlett, but Kelly and Pods remain, I would imagine the only change will be direct for Scarlett and i don't necessarily believe like for like (i.e. Gillies, if that is much likeness at all!)

I think Horlin-Smith will get the guernsey, that is still assuming Josh Hunt is still out.

Feeling confident on this one, will be a cracking game but was very happy with the structures we implemented against Freo. Taylor Hunt on Mitchell will be an interesting contest - he may even go to Rioli at stages.

All in all, with Pods and Hawk in reasonable form, we will have firepower to kick the ball long and direct into Hawthorns backline and they hate that. If Lonergan, Mackie and Taylor can standup on Buddy we will be good to go.

Enjoyed the Hawthorn contribution..posts of that quality is always welcome

I look forward to our newbies being better for the run. Im sure Orren felt like he had bitten of more than he could chew , first game , nerves and then plays a fit Sandilands. He will be better for the run. Smedts too will continue to acclimatise to the speed of senior footy. May even get another kid in Horlin Smith.

Meanwhile Hawkins has kicked 4 and could have kicked more, Pods like the Hawks and SJ loves the G. Can we lock down on Riloi and Franklin. Either way will be a game worth being at

If josh hunt is fit, he has to play. He is too often underrated on this board and will play a crucial role in shutting down one of the hawks many smalls that can push forward. I know hawthorn can play tall should they take a punt on roughy (something tells me they wont), but historically its their mediums and smalls that hurt us the most. Franklin will kick his 3 or 4, but limit the output of the others and we can cover the loss of scarlo.

Its cliche, but this will be won and lost in the midfield. We need some more leg speed so bundy has to play 4 quarters. If poodle can even slightly restrict mitchell, our chances increase exponentially given the exclusion of hodge.

Its a big ask for our young talent to stand up again in a high pressure match, but i'll back them in. Will our bottom six outplay their bottom six? Both teams have key outs and it'll be the team that can capitalise on this that will win, me thinks.

Balme has said Josh is a chance but more likely to return the following week.

I've got a feeling Josh will finish top 8 in the B&F this year.
Yes I'm crazy

I don't see Roughead playing on Monday. He's had a half a game of NAB Cup against Fremantle and a VFL game against Sandringham which was more than 2 weeks before the Geelong game.

I'd say that the Hawks would want to get more miles into Roughead's legs before bringing him back into the seniors. I'd pencil him in for round 3 against the Crows, not for round 2 against Geelong.

i dont see roughead gaining anything he hasnt already got out of playing 3 quarters for box hill again. he is fit, he is ready to go, well rested. bring him in!! geelong will look at testing our 'small' backline with the likes of jpod, hawkins and west in there at times...why cant we do the same with scarlett being out and having buddy, rough and gunston down there?? if he is needed down back, he can help down there and hale can play forward.

6 days to go!!

I think the Hawks are very likely to break our streak next Monday, and they deserve to go in to the game as favorites.

Their pre/early season form has been excellent, while we still look a little underdone. It will also be hard to cover our key outs - Scarlett most notably, as we don't often win without him, but also Varcoe who has played a vital role in past games against the Hawks.

Still, rounds 3-7 look more or less all winnable, so we may go into the clash against the Pies in rd 8 sitting on 5/2. That would be a very decent outcome for a premiership outfit with less pre-season up their sleeve than other clubs, while also being in a 'transition period'.

All wild speculation, of course, and very happy to be proven wrong come next Monday. I just don't see the Cat's winning this one.

Stay away from the clowns on the bay or finish up a bitter and twisted old fart like me.You have been warned:D.

Or a bitter and twisted spring chicken like me. :D

FWIW there are some very humble, respectful and intelligent Hawks posters on BF. There just isn't enough of them.

I think that with Scarlo gone Josh should play if fit.

Its as much about the familararity with guys dropping off their man and bodying up as a 3rd man to the contest....

Got nothing at all against the newer guys but with this one i think id take Josh experience over a bit of extra pace....

That said, Guthrie and Poodle both played well last week....

ahh the riches...

GO Catters...

I think the Hawks are very likely to break our streak next Monday, and they deserve to go in to the game as favorites.

Their pre/early season form has been excellent, while we still look a little underdone. It will also be hard to cover our key outs - Scarlett most notably, as we don't often win without him, but also Varcoe who has played a vital role in past games against the Hawks.

Still, rounds 3-7 look more or less all winnable, so we may go into the clash against the Pies in rd 8 sitting on 5/2. That would be a very decent outcome for a premiership outfit with less pre-season up their sleeve than other clubs, while also being in a 'transition period'.

All wild speculation, of course, and very happy to be proven wrong come next Monday. I just don't see the Cat's winning this one.

Exploit their ruck and defense and we have a good shot at this. If Hawkins and Pod both play well, Hawthorn simply dont have the talent in their defense to take care of both of them. Enright will go to Rioli as usual (who typically doesnt all do that much against us) and throw Taylor Hunt on Mitchell and see what the young man can do.

It will be a fight and the odds are against us, however our team has shown time and time again how hungry they are to win. If anyhing, being underdogs works in their favour. Dockers threw everything at us on home soil and scraped by with a small victory. The Cats can get this. And if we do win, watch the season turn on its head.

Exploit their ruck and defense and we have a good shot at this. If Hawkins and Pod both play well, Hawthorn simply dont have the talent in their defense to take care of both of them. Enright will go to Rioli as usual (who typically doesnt all do that much against us) and throw Taylor Hunt on Mitchell and see what the young man can do.

It will be a fight and the odds are against us, however our team has shown time and time again how hungry they are to win. If anyhing, being underdogs works in their favour. Dockers threw everything at us on home soil and scraped by with a small victory. The Cats can get this. And if we do win, watch the season turn on its head.

Agreed.

Let Lonners have first crack at Buddy and let Mackie go with him when he pushes into the midfield.

Maybe it is just me, but Mackie looks like he is set for a huge year.

GO CATS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How confident are we feeling for this game?

have Geelong by under 10 but would like to know what the general thoughts are.

I love Geelong v Hawthorn. I love the rivalry between the two clubs and fans. I love that when the Cats v Hawks time is on, it has that finals feel to it, that we cant lose to them. The banter in the office.

To be honest even though I do hate them when they play us, they are a club that i respect, but on Monday and as always i hope we bury the s**t out of them as they would be hoping the same against us. Just no injuries to either side, because both these clubs make a massive improvement to the quality of standard in AFL and especially for the past 5 years.

IMO, this is Victoria's derby/showdown. The Collingwood/Carltons/Essendons are just marketing. :D

Quietly confident. Geelong hate Hawthorn with a passion and will always rise up against them. And the fact that the Cats lost last week increases my confidence, if that makes sense.

Well I hope you guys win cause I have a pretty nice multi with this game!

Go cats :)

Sorry to intrude on the board guys just put up on the Hawks website that Roughead and Shiels are right for selection and Hodge unlikely along with Puopolo.

Will probably mean Bateman out along with i have no idea, maybe Boumann, maybe Stratton, maybe Osborne???

Just thought you might like to know.

Looking forward to another rip snorter Geelong vs Hawks game. Have been copping it from my Geelong mates for a few years and i really want some pay back.

Hoping no injuries all round.

I love Geelong v Hawthorn. I love the rivalry between the two clubs and fans. I love that when the Cats v Hawks time is on, it has that finals feel to it, that we cant lose to them. The banter in the office.

To be honest even though I do hate them when they play us, they are a club that i respect, but on Monday and as always i hope we bury the s**t out of them as they would be hoping the same against us. Just no injuries to either side, because both these clubs make a massive improvement to the quality of standard in AFL and especially for the past 5 years.

IMO, this is Victoria's derby/showdown. The Collingwood/Carltons/Essendons are just marketing. :D

Great post! :thumbsu:

I love these games, it feels like a final everytime we play you boys and although there is a lot of hate between the 2 clubs, there is also a lot of respect. I honestly can't see a better and bigger rivalry going on at the moment then what the hawkas and cats have.

yeh you gotta wonder why it is that defenders truly come into their own at the wrong times of their career.
Hunt had his best season at the club imo in 2011 but he's now 30 years of age (footy terms it's the wrong side), I always felt Enright is a much superior player now than about 5 years ago.

Mackie seems to be improving at age 27 and I'm hoping we see Taylor really mature into our Scarlett replacement in the coming years.

In Hunts case I think it's because he is only really over his knee 36 months later.
Much like wojo

I would have said Hawks by 28.
But all this talk of Geelong being arrogant will cut deep.

And unlike someone like Richmond or Melbourne, Geelong can show up and fight the perception.

Cats by 14

I think it's natural to talk yourself into it over the duration of a week.
"not sure we can do this. Hmmm maybe we can do this. I've found more reason to be confident. That's it, we'll win by 30"

I've seen people do it on here for years.

But there is something about this week that could be season defining.
The club has been challenged... again.

And not to any small degree.
Every player will have heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back