Past Ben Hudson (2012-2012)

NEAFL practice match: Brisbane Reserves vs Morningside

Rohan Bewick was also busy along with experienced ruckman Ben Hudson who Reserves Coach Nathan Clarke believed was clearly '"above the level".

6825860054_c623d4477e.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Season Preview

Ben Hudson - quality veteran ruckman who came out of one of footy’s briefest retirements to take a role as a back-up. Should play limited minutes in most games, and may miss a few if boom tall draftee Longer keeps pushing up.

6683887735_db29d04e9b.jpg

Link ....

The coach gave few hints about the shape of his ruck division at the team's rain-soaked training session yesterday at Coorparoo. Matthew Leuenberger has the No.1 spot sewn up but first-year player Billy Longer and Bulldogs recruit Ben Hudson also shared time in the middle.

6718122457_b875014dac_z.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Video: Michael Voss

Are there any likely debutants in the mix?

Probably a couple. We'll keep those under our hat at the moment. Obviously the main one at the moment is what we do with the ruck situation. Certainly Huddo we never have to worry about too much because he's been able to be such a seasoned player for such a long period of time. We talked about the strategies throughout the NAB Cup. One of those was to get game time into Billy Longer. He's had some good form there at times, so that's something that gives us another option.

7021847291_51c893f60a.jpg

In terms of the team for round 1 it sounds we shouldn't be reading too much into the fact that Longer was getting picked ahead of Hudson in the preseason games.

Video: Michael Voss

In terms of the team for round 1 it sounds we shouldn't be reading too much into the fact that Longer was getting picked ahead of Hudson in the preseason games.
Looks like you picked it Grim.

Looking forward to seeing the People's Beard playing for us.

7031601921_63b3ddc70e.jpg

Ben Hudson in the middle for his first game, and first win. I reckon he needed to have an excellent game to silence the 'we should have played Longer' calls. And he did.

There was some serious sledging going on there towards the end. Can't help thinking Jamar was getting into him about being a has-been at the start, and he might have said something along the lines of 'so how do you explain me handing you your arse on a platter, you turkey'.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He seems to have lost nothing. Perhaps this year he plays 80% of games, Billy the rest and next year maybe 50/50 depending on how Billy comes along amongst other factors.

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was truely suprised at how great his tap work was. Interestingly enough he must really liek Polks, cause at least twice he knocked it straight down his throat as Polks streamed past. Very good to watch.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He seems to have lost nothing. Perhaps this year he plays 80% of games, Billy the rest and next year maybe 50/50 depending on how Billy comes along amongst other factors.

Billy got BOG apparently...I would think hudson would take rests thorughout the season and give Longer a run. He is a team player recruited to play a team role this year with ruck relief.

One thing for certain our ruck department looks awesome this season

lionaround

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2009
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Played his heart out yesterday. His tap work was absolutely amazing and his second efforts were indicative of our competitive performance. Loved watching him give Frawley an absolute serve in the last quarter, hilarious stuff.

LionMen

All Australian
Jul 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Chelsea FC
Loved big Huddo's game, he reminds me a lot of Jamie Charman in the way he plays and is a great tap ruckman. The inclusion of him added greatly to our midfield dominance against Melbourne.

Stocka

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2002
Richmond
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
He also proved to be a handy target to kick to when we were forced to go long. He put in very good competitive efforts and often advantaged the spill of the ball to our players at ground level.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Given his form yesterday and his proven endurance, why did the Dogs let him "retire"...I gather this was in lieu of being delisted?

Leigh Matthews

"I reckon Ben Hudson will be a better recruit for the Lions than Mitch Clark for Melbourne and save about half a million dollars in the process."

7036224165_0984e1d22d.jpg

Given his form yesterday and his proven endurance, why did the Dogs let him "retire"...I gather this was in lieu of being delisted?

No, he did retire, he was done and was heading back to QLD. I don't know if Hudson would have taken the offer up with any other club, as this was a perfect fit for him. Not sure if he will go around for a 2nd year as a Lion, but what a top player.

kylegee28

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
To celebrate the people's beard 'turning back the clock'.
I believe his last name should now be changed to 'Button'

benhudson.jpg

Pic definitely related

Video: Into the Lions Den

"I didn't grow up with footy. Living up here Rugby Union and Rugby League was a big part. Still mates at school can't believe that I don't have a real job, and still play footy, so to speak."

"I think it's probably the best job I'm ever going to have, so if you can prolong it another year or two, so be it. Footy clubs are a great place to work. I've thoroughly enjoyed it here at the Lions and hopefully we can have a good year."

hudsona.jpg

Live chat

Comment From kingy
hey huddo just wondering how have you found the change and settled in going from the dogs to the lions

The change has been great. Every club is pretty much the same, great place to work!!

Comment From Reas16
Hey Huddo, its great to have you on board for the 2012 season and beyond. I thought your game on the weekend was awesome, really gave us a presence around the stoppages. Are you hoping to play all 22 games (barring injuries), or will you get a few rest here and there?

Thanks Reas16. Great to get a win on the board in round 1. Happy to play my role for the time, so happy to play as many as Vossy picks me for!!

Comment From Rob
I hear you were promising rugby union talent what made you choose afl?

Not sure if you would call it promising! Played a few years when i was at high school on the gold coast... Many years ago back in the '90's!!!

hudson43.jpg

Back