Not bottoming out – have we made a mistake?

Remove this Banner Ad

CaptainDangerfield

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Jul 29, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I just wanted to get your take on this. A Port Power supporter mate of mine reckons we have made a huge mistake by not bottoming out at least twice in the last few years. He seems to think that Port are now in a better position having spent a few years around the bottom 5 and have therefore been able to get the sort of midfield talent that you can build a premiership around such as Boak, Gray, Wingard and the brilliant Hartlett. Whereas “honourable” season finishes have seen us recruit midfield plodders like B Smith and Douglas with low 1st round picks. I used to be one for always play your best 22 and always play for the win but I’m starting to wonder if this is naïve thinking in a competition which rewards clubs for mediocrity and penalises clubs who supposedly do the right thing.

Don’t get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed taking the piss out of him last year but I’m wondering in time, whether he will have the last laugh. So are 2 or 3 years of ridicule while you sit in the bottom 4 worth it when you could be fast tracking a chance at your next premiership??

B. Smith is hardly a plodder IMO.

In my eyes, you don't have to bottom out if you recruit well, which I believe we have done in recent years.

Bottoming out brings no guarantees, ask St Kilda and Melbourne...

Dangerfield is a gun, as is Sloane. Crouch is tearing up the SANFL at 18 years old and will walk in next year too. May not have the four guns like Port (if Gray actually manages to consistently stay on the park) but our next four or so are waaaaaay better than theirs.

And we've been bad, but haven't suffered the humiliation of finishing equal wooden spoon with the new kids on the block...

Melbourne and Richmond are proof that bottoming out does not instantly help -

We are in a better position than both of them and they have had way more early draft picks than us.

He seems to think that Port are now in a better position having spent a few years around the bottom 5 and have therefore been able to get the sort of midfield talent that you can build a premiership around such as Boak, Gray, Wingard and the brilliant Hartlett.
Might want to check where he was drafted mate. Besides it's not like a top pick is a guaranteed gun. How's Andrew Moore going for Port? How about top 5 pick Ben Cunnington?

Whereas “honourable” season finishes have seen us recruit midfield plodders like B Smith
Wait, what?

Has there been any year since ive been on bigfooty that you havent started a 'the Power are coming! be afraid!' discussion?

BTW, Robbie Gray was pick 55. Using him as an example of why bottoming out is necessary is kind of amusing.

Personally, im happy to back our young midfield against theirs into the future. Danger, Sloane, Crouch, Smith with Jacobs in ruck is a very nice foundation.

The OP just called 'Brodie Smith' a plodder.

I stopped reading after that.

Ridiculous thread! Do us a favour and start following the Power!

Yeah, forgot to cover off on the Smith plodder comment myself...what the? Sure he's no Judd, but he's no David Gallagher either...

I can see Smith becoming that unsung hero, fourth best type midfielder like Lappin or Corey. Not a star, but vital to any team's makeup.

Yeah, forgot to cover off on the Smith plodder comment myself...what the? Sure he's no Judd, but he's no David Gallagher either...

I can see Smith becoming that unsung hero, fourth best type midfielder like Lappin or Corey. Not a star, but vital to any team's makeup.

Plodder was abit harsh but he's definately no Boak or Hartlett.

Has there been any year since ive been on bigfooty that you havent started a 'the Power are coming! be afraid!' discussion?

BTW, Robbie Gray was pick 55. Using him as an example of why bottoming out is necessary is kind of amusing.

Personally, im happy to back our young midfield against theirs into the future. Danger, Sloane, Crouch, Smith with Jacobs in ruck is a very nice foundation.

I Didn't say Port Power are coming but after 13 years and counting has our recruiting strategy been a success, I think not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's also a second year player.

Boak was drafted in 2006
Hartlett was drafted in 2008
Smith was drafted in 2010

As a comparison... Jared Polec was a super high rated SANFL youngster (and Pick 5 to Brisbane) and hasn't done half of what Smith has to date. Polec will be a gun... but Smith is going fantastic for a pick 16.

I Didn't say Port Power are coming but after 13 years and counting has our recruiting strategy been a success, I think not.

Well, yeah, you kind of did by posting a positive comparison of their young talent.

But, in order to actually address the issue of your thread, because theres actually something to discuss had you left the emotive port comparison out, I think you have a valid point, in that you need access to elite talent to challenge for a premiership, and generally you need to be able to pick very early in order to get your hands on them.

Now, where I think we might actually have caught a break in this respect is that I feel we've used draft diversionary tools quite well in recent years. Trading with GWS to get access to Crouch last year was IMO a master stroke. It gives us access to a kid who is from most reports worthy of being a top pick in a packed draft. Thats the superstar type player that you can build around. I also feel like we did well in getting Tex through the NSW scholarship scheme, Jacobs as an undervalued trade...

We don't know what he is yet. His best position as a junior was inside midfielder but obviously it will take a while before he has the body/tank/experience to play there at AFL level. If you want to judge unknown quantities why not look at our superstar Brad Crouch?

i just cant get past the irony of someone that chose to barrack for port talking about other peoples mistakes.

Also need to highlight that we've jagged elite KPP talent with a couple of our higher draft picks, can get sucked into looking at just the midfielders.

Well, yeah, you kind of did by posting a positive comparison of their young talent.

But, in order to actually address the issue of your thread, because theres actually something to discuss had you left the emotive port comparison out, I think you have a valid point, in that you need access to elite talent to challenge for a premiership, and generally you need to be able to pick very early in order to get your hands on them.

Now, where I think we might actually have caught a break in this respect is that I feel we've used draft diversionary tools quite well in recent years. Trading with GWS to get access to Crouch last year was IMO a master stroke. It gives us access to a kid who is from most reports worthy of being a top pick in a packed draft. Thats the superstar type player that you can build around. I also feel like we did well in getting Tex through the NSW scholarship scheme, Jacobs as an undervalued trade...

To be building for a premiership you need at least 3 top tier young midfielders, at least one better than average ruckman, and at least potentially one top tier tall forward and tall KPP backman -do we have that on our list now?? Smith and Douglas I see as handy midfield depth players but not the sort of midfielders you can have leading your midfield and therfore build a team around. Obviously the chances drafting quality is more so between picks 2-6 than it is 10-16, Dangerfield being the exception.

Hell no, we have young up and coming gun mids, as well as a gun forward line.

Our backs are not as bad as it looks, Thompson will play a lot of games

To be building for a premiership you need at least 3 top tier young midfielders, at least one better than average ruckman, and at least potentially one top tier tall forward and tall KPP backman -do we have that on our list now?? Smith and Douglas I see as handy midfield depth players but not the sort of midfielders you can have leading your midfield and therfore build a team around. Obviously the chances drafting quality is more so between picks 2-6 than it is 10-16, Dangerfield being the exception.

3 Midfielders: Danger, Sloane, Crouch.

Ruckman: Jacobs.

KPP Backman: Talia.

Yes, we satisfy your test for talented midfielders. The real worry here is that you dont seem to have any knowledge of our list what so ever... i mean... Douglas as our midfield hope?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back