Opinion Could Hawkins become a legend?

Remove this Banner Ad

A legend (Latin, legenda, "things to be read") is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess certain qualities that give the tale verisimilitude. Legend, for its active and passive participants includes no happenings that are outside the realm of "possibility", defined by a highly flexible set of parameters, which may include miracles that are perceived as actually having happened, within the specific tradition of indoctrination where the legend arises, and within which it may be transformed over time, in order to keep it fresh and vital

There......that should clear that up. :thumbsu:
:eek: :confused: :) :D :thumbsu: all of those lol

I think you have to be able to differentiate between legend and champion. A Legend is someone who has had a massive impact on the game possibly even change the game. To me there are many CHAMPION footballers who run around every generation at each and every club but LEGENDS are few and far between. There may only be a handful playing at any one time.

This is spot on. The closest to legends playing at the moment for me would be Goodes Black and Cox have claims as well, but I'd say they are champions more than a legends.

Buddy a legend? No. Small possibility at the end of his career, but he will be a champion.

This is spot on. The closest to legends playing at the moment for me would be Goodes Black and Cox have claims as well, but I'd say they are champions more than a legends.

Buddy a legend? No. Small possibility at the end of his career, but he will be a champion.

I presume there was supposed to be a comer between Goodes and Black:D

I think Bartel would be remembered as a legend. 3 time prem player. Brownlow and Norm Smith. I think Black is the only other player with those credits. So if we agree he is a legend, than so is Bartel!

I think Bartel would be remembered as a legend. 3 time prem player. Brownlow and Norm Smith. I think Black is the only other player with those credits. So if we agree he is a legend, than so is Bartel!

Possibly. Scarlett would be the closest from the Cats side. Bartel is a champion more than legend in my eyes, I think Black would probably fall into that category too.

Legend ? Needs to become a good solid and consistent contributor first, like a Brown or a Carey
Long way to go yet- Still needs to fix his atrocious kicking

Ask this question in a couple more years and we may have a better idea.

Ablett, Judd, surely must be included.No rule they have to display loyalty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I presume there was supposed to be a comer between Goodes and Black:D

or coma?

time for the big crash prize.

maybe even a comma...

legend, no. excellent player, yes.

cannot wait to see how his 2012 unfolds. love the two times he has gone up for his medal, the smile on his face each time is excellent. pure joy, and total enjoyment.

think he has a good attitude to the game as far as that goes, and once the attitude to really work hard at exerting himself on each game (which may have arrived already) equals the above and becomes consistent, he will be something.

Only Black out of those three. He's been a better player for much longer.

Possibly. Scarlett would be the closest from the Cats side. Bartel is a champion more than legend in my eyes, I think Black would probably fall into that category too.

I look at it through the media's "eyes", and how they can "sell" a player to then in turn sell newspapers. Scarlett is a 6 time (or is it 7) all australian with 3 premiership medals. I can't think of too many more decorated backmen. Scarlo was my favourite player for years before Joel joined in 07. I agree with your comment on Scarlo, but I have huge wraps on what Bartel has done.

People are considered to be 'legends' for something as simple as buying the first round at the bar. But in the AFL, where there is a Hall of Fame with a special 'Legends' category, for the very best of the best, surely a legend is anyone who has had that status bestowed upon them? Sure, there are Hall of Famers and Legends-in waiting among the currently playing and recently retired, but they can't be recognised by that title, until it is bestowed upon them.

Both the Hall of Fame and the Legends category are nothing more than glorified dick-measuring. That's all it is.

It doesn't actually mean anything.

I'd prefer to focus on CURRENT players that help us win consistently. Because that does matter.

Not a Legend, but could become one of Geelong's greatest FF by the end of his career if he continue's to improve and get better. It's got to the point now where i expect 4-5 goals every game from Hawkins, he should be kicking bags for us this season.

Not a Legend, but could become one of Geelong's greatest FF by the end of his career if he continue's to improve and get better. It's got to the point now where i expect 4-5 goals every game from Hawkins, he should be kicking bags for us this season.

It just won't happen. Sorry to disappoint!

Both the Hall of Fame and the Legends category are nothing more than glorified dick-measuring. That's all it is.

It doesn't actually mean anything.

It certainly means something to the players and contributors who have been inducted. Is there really any reason to dismiss seeing the greats of your club and opposition players you grew up watching being inducted and seeing how much the honour means to them as 'glorified dick-measuring'? By the same token, we could remove every award currently available in the AFL, besides a premiership medal...they're all glorified dick-measuring.

I'd prefer to focus on CURRENT players that help us win consistently. Because that does matter.

And you're more than welcome to do so. Personally, I find it interesting and fun to try to compare current players between each other and to past players, to try to generate an intelligent discussion and find how where they fit in the context of our great game. But that's just me.

:eek: So how many games does Goodes need to play? 300 not enough?

I admit, I was wondering about this as well. While Black became an AA, a B&F, a Brownlow Medallist and a premiership player before Goodes (not by much in most of those cases), it's not like Goodes was a late-bloomer; he won the Rising Star, after all. I'd argue that while Goodes is still as good as he ever was, Black, while still being a very good player is not at his early-mid 00s level. For the first half of their careers, I'd take Black; for the second half, it's Goodes for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back