Old Scholars Thread

denny44

Debutant
Jun 29, 2011
Redfern
AFL Club
GWS
I might start off my thoughts for the opening round.
Bolded team my tip!

OHA vs Uni - 90 Points
St Virgils vs Richmond - 20 points
Hutchins vs DOSA - 10 points

Greyman05

Debutant
Oct 27, 2011
Bruny Island
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
NHJFC
I might start off my thoughts for the opening round.
Bolded team my tip!

OHA vs Uni - 90 Points
St Virgils vs Richmond - 20 points
Hutchins vs DOSA - 10 points

Would be hard to disagree with your selections. Me thinks Uni are in for a very long year, Cameron Burgess is in for a power of work. If anything your margin is a little conservative. OHA have lost a fantastic player in Langford but will cover his loss.

Saints at home should win. However, they still lack leg speed in the middle of the ground. J.Bowring will be a more than useful recruit and could Marcus Parker be the focal point this year? Chop can't go on for ever kicking bags. Not much on these pages about Richmond, however they usually start the season slowly and finish strongly. They will thereabouts again.

Hutchins vs DOSA will be an interesting game. Have Hutchins have picked up enough players to cover their losses from last year. Hensby will be sorely missed - Tommy Arnold has big shoes to fill. DOSA, by all reports, have picked up a heap of players. It will be interesting to see how they gel as a team early in the year. The Beans just in a close one!

butcherboy

Team Captain
Nov 18, 2008
midway point
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
arsenal
noticed on s.p zeb graham to an old scholar team anyone shed light on wich team?? and bass is off to channel didnt last long at the bombers

DOSAhastheBlues

Debutant
Sep 14, 2008
Campania
AFL Club
Geelong
Did my eyes deceive me, or did I see that the one and only Heath Sims has been cleared to University?

Is that his 3rd or 4th OSFA club? :D

He'll start to rival Jarrod Bennett shortly....

JS#35

All Australian
Aug 21, 2009
Nursing home
AFL Club
Richmond
J.Wiggins not playing @ Dodges anymore. Told the coach where to go after he was informed he wouldn't be playing seniors in round 1 due to having showed up 4 times all pre-season. Richmond offering him $250 a game. Laughable

JS#35

All Australian
Aug 21, 2009
Nursing home
AFL Club
Richmond
Which part do you find laughable, JS#35?

A fair bit of it, Barge. Expecting to be gifted a game despite the fact there's young guys coming through and the club have Justin Howe back this season + they picked up Jason Hyland. Two talls that have gone well in pre-season. The more laughable bit is Richmond throwing $250 at him.

butcherboy

Team Captain
Nov 18, 2008
midway point
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
arsenal
A fair bit of it, Barge. Expecting to be gifted a game despite the fact there's young guys coming through and the club have Justin Howe back this season + they picked up Jason Hyland. Two talls that have gone well in pre-season. The more laughable bit is Richmond throwing $250 at him.

$250 is a lot of money, spider is good but 250 maybe not ,, he prob would have played 2's for a few weeks too because of the amount of good talls that have trained over the pre season and well, would keep him out !!carnt have to many talls it didnt work well last year too many times, id rahter see the young blokes that have played well in the prac games play seniours than the elder blokes that havn done as much pre season .

d.f has done well over last few years at not paying way over the top money wise . players that play there play there cuz they want to rather than play for the $$

Barge

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2005
Bargeville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Claremont

Pretty sure 4 runs wouldn't have pleased D Ling so why should it satisfy the new coach? Perhaps Wiggins thinks he's a bit better than he is, expecting to be largely unsighted during pre-season and to be picked in Rd 1?

JS#35

All Australian
Aug 21, 2009
Nursing home
AFL Club
Richmond
Pretty sure 4 runs wouldn't have pleased D Ling so why should it satisfy the new coach? Perhaps Wiggins thinks he's a bit better than he is, expecting to be largely unsighted during pre-season and to be picked in Rd 1?

Think you might be right, mate. :thumbsu:

Looks like Richmond have lost a bit. Saw a few names in their side in yestys paper that I thought wouldn't be in their senior side

juddyforpm

Debutant
Mar 7, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Going off the weekends results will be a pretty even comp this year... Apart from OHA v uni game but I can't see Whitelaw letting that happen too often. Have Dosa improved or Hutchins fallen away? Was anyone there? Also heard there was an all in brawl in the crowd after the game. Is it me or does it Seem that the beans home ground is the common factor when these things happen???

COOPERRAMA

Draftee
Mar 6, 2009
TAS
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i went down and had a look at the roosters on the weekend, and i would wanna hope Setchell and Fisher gave back half there matchies, just shows money cant buy you a win even against a undermaned opposition

ROCKY ROAD

Team Captain
May 6, 2011
hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
i went down and had a look at the roosters on the weekend, and i would wanna hope Setchell and Fisher gave back half there matchies, just shows money cant buy you a win even against a undermaned opposition

after reading the first part of your post i had a suspicion you had NFI of what you were talking about, then the comment about a undermanned opposition you confirmed it. talking to a mate who plays with Hutchins & he told me they were full strength.
By the way Setch has trained about 5 times & played 1 intra-club this pre-season, he's not near warmed up yet.

Fireman_sam

Debutant
Apr 21, 2007
The Mercury/ AFL TAS
AFL Club
Richmond
after reading the first part of your post i had a suspicion you had NFI of what you were talking about, then the comment about a undermanned opposition you confirmed it. talking to a mate who plays with Hutchins & he told me they were full strength.
By the way Setch has trained about 5 times & played 1 intra-club this pre-season, he's not near warmed up yet.

I think you blokes are talking about the wrong game.. What about the Rainbows! (not lions as stupid mercury wrote) big improvers this year from what I saw over the weekend!

Having watching the roosters/beans game on sat i think the way the rainbows played on fri night they would have both their measures.. roosters will get better & i know for a fact the beans had a few quality players out.

shaping up to be a good year, wonder how the salmons will go?

denny44

Debutant
Jun 29, 2011
Redfern
AFL Club
GWS
I think you blokes are talking about the wrong game.. What about the Rainbows! (not lions as stupid mercury wrote) big improvers this year from what I saw over the weekend!

Having watching the roosters/beans game on sat i think the way the rainbows played on fri night they would have both their measures.. roosters will get better & i know for a fact the beans had a few quality players out.

shaping up to be a good year, wonder how the salmons will go?

Who are the quality players that Hutchins had out?
Were the Roosters missing any?

Hear OHA had a few out as well Friday night?

Greyman05

Debutant
Oct 27, 2011
Bruny Island
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
NHJFC
This old red herring gets tossed up all the time - there isn't space in the paper to say who wasn't playing! Inevitably teams will have players out all of the time, it is rare that the best 22 is available.

Hutchins had 2 regular senior players from last year in the reserves - Windsor and Coad. Sayers, Hall and Harriss (who is listed in the program) didn't play. Only Harriss would be considered a top liner.

DOSA was missing Broughton (injured), Jacob Howard played reserves, Ken Hall watched from the stands and Justin Veitch is still overseas. Arguably, DOSA have more upside.

Was a ripper game. Hutchins were well served by the usual suspects - Nichols, Leitch & Cleary. Kingston is a significant return and will give them another target up forward and Tommy Arnold played a fantastic game.

Fisher was DOSA's best player by a mile, he well and truly earned whatever he is being paid. Their other recruits, Setchell, Curtain and Aaron Veitch will all be better for the run. Kim Harvey gave them a mobile target up forward, Couta Golding ran out of puff after kicking 4 goals in the first half.

Round 2 will be interesting. It is quite conceivable that there will be 6 teams with a win apiece come Saturday night.

OHA v Hutchins
StV v Channel
DOSA v Richmond

Back