2nds The Official Northern Blues Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

https://twitter.com/#!/NBluesFC

Full-time here at Visy Park.

BluesFC 9.16 (70) Williamstown 12.12 (84)

Goals: Collins 2, Gianfagna, McLean, Rowe, Duigan, Bootsma, Marchbank and Joseph with singles.

Michael Jamison appears to have completed the game unscathed and has managed to pick up 18 touches along the way.

Major ball winners for the game: Brock McLean 30 touches, Kane Lambert 24, Adam Marcon 22, Marcus Davies and Nick Meese with 21.

Jamo will play next week and Duigan will not.
White may be injured again also.
Joseph let fly a few punches. If video about he may be in a little trouble.

We may have really lucked in with Dale. This kid is a thinker and works things out before the contest.
Keep an eye out on him.

Bootsma quiet and Rowe just being handed out rubbish delivery. Feel sorry foe the big guy.

Here are some of my notes on the game.

Q1:
-Rowe, Collins, Dale and White started forward.
-Jamo on Cordy, McCarthy on Skinner, Davies on Djerkerra, Joeseph on Hooper and Watson on Redpath.
-Jamo took most kickouts and booted it long and wide most times.
-Rome was the long kick bail out and White was a good foil as a leading forward.
-Mclean had tight tag from Goodes and couldn't break it to spread out.
-White copped knock on knee and helped off the ground. He didn't return.
-Bootsma fumbling through nerves.
-Watson doing well as third man up.

My stats: Mclean 7, Rowe 5, Watson 7, McCarthy 5, Mcinnes 2, Davies 2, Duigan 6, Bootsma 3, Collins 3, Dale 6, Jamo 5, Heyne 2, Joeseph 2 and Carter 4.
My Best: Dale and Mclean.

Q2:
-Watson playing loose man.
-Joeseph and Bootsma moved onto ball.
-our press was picked apart through short passing.
-Rowe played better out of the square. He provided a good target but without White there, he got double teamed with loose man 5 metres in front of him.
-Collins became the go to man up forward and kicked 2 goals.
- Davies lucky not to be reported for head high bump that split Goodes head open.
My stats: Mclean 6, Rowe 2, Watson 2, McCarthy 3, Mcinnes 2, Davies 4, Duigan 3, Bootsma 7, Collins 10 (2 goals), Jamo 4, Dale 3, Heyne 2, Joeseph 6, Carter 3.
My Best: Collins.

q3:
-Davies ridden into turf hurting his shoulder. Helped off the field and came back a different player. Very good quarter.
-Rowe using his hands in the back too much, rather than using his body when in excellent position to do so.
- We were kicking with a strong wind towards legends stand and our press locked the ball in our half for the whole quarter (no exaggeration).
-First time in match our ruck was winning out of centre and Mclean broke free of Goodes thanks to Davies splitting Goodes open in q2.
- Watson moved up ground and provide marking option on wing.
My Stats: Mclean 10 (1 goal), Rowe 5 (1 goal), Watson 8, McCarthy 4, Mcinnes 2, Davies 6, Duigan 5 (1 goal), Bootsma 4 (1 goal), Collins 3, Jamo 4, Dale 6, Heyne 5, Joeseph 5, Carter 4.
My best: Mclean

Q4:
-Heyne moved back. Turned it over a lot.
-Duigan off resting.
-Team lacking composure in back half. Turning ball over, fumbling and dropping marks.
-Sat back and tried to defend lead. Didn't work with Willy having a gale behind their backs.
-Joesph connected with a jumper punch on Goodes. Ump wasn't looking.
My stats: Mclean 5, Rowe 2, watson 3, McCarthy 6, Mcinnes 2, Davies 5, Duigan 0, Bootsma 2, collins 2, Dale 5, Heyne 6, Joeseph 4, Carter 3.
My best: Nobody stood out.

Overall:
My stats: Mclean 28, Rowe 14, Watson 20, McCarthy 18, Mcinnes 8, Davies 17, Duigan 14, Bootsma 16, Collins 15, Dale 20, Jamo 18, Heyne 15, Joeseph 17, Carter 15.
My best: Mclean, Meese, Lambert and Dale.

Real shame Brock can't make it into the senior squad.
His work rate and leadership is A-Grade on the ground.
Can't see why Jamo won't be ready next week. Played three quarters already and doing very well. All class.
Brock always does well in the VFL but so did Luke Blackwell and Adam Bentick. His best chance to play is when the game is wet and game slowed down. I really like the set up we have now with absolute speed. Guys like Armfield if their skills improve other clubs will find it hard against us. Armfield, Gartlett, Yarran and guys who can run win games with a good spine and top notch midfielders and a good ruckmen.

Link
Carlton utility Simon White suffered a dislocated kneecap in the Northern Blues' 14-point loss to Williamstown yesterday.

White will have scans today, but coach Robert Hyde was hopeful it would not be serious.
Link

Relieved Seagulls scavenge a win from the Blues
Brock McLean was again outstanding for the Blues, but has struggled to get a look in on the senior team over the past year. Hyde was an unabashed fan after coaching him as a junior and believes he still has a place at Carlton.

"I coached Brock McLean in the under-18s and what you get with Brock is 100 per cent effort, so I hope when he gets the opportunity that he plays really well and he's able to stay up in the Carlton senior team for a good span of time," he said.

"He was in the final training squad for the first match and just talking to him, this is the first time that he hasn't had operations over the summer for the last three or four years. He reckons his body's really good and he's just looking forward to having a crack at it."
Relieved Seagulls scavenge a win from the Blues

Great read there Teaguee. :thumbsu:

If the players respsonded immediately and took the options Brock presented all day, McLean could have chalked up 50 possessions.
That's just how good he was along with his verbal instructions being on the mark on every occasion.

You do really notice things on players in the relatively quieter setting of a VFL game.
Watson gets more instructions barked at him than any other player on the ground.
Watto stand here, Watto go there, Watton man up etc etc. The kid is genuinely confused on the park.
Had a bit of f##k you about him today, which I really liked.

Rowe had some real rubbish dished up to him today, that he wouldn't have had at the better level.
Not really fair trying to get a good read on him here.

Dale has shown a lot in recent weeks and for now is miles ahead of Heyne at least, for a player that may be promoted using a LTI.
Bell and Lodge were floating about today, with neither too fussed about proceedings.

McCarthy didn't have the same presence he had last week, by being a little too reactive at times and unsure of his disposal.
Some costly fumbles but all in all he wasn't too bad.

McInnes? As yet, I have not seen what he may have to offer us.
Joseph: Mixed bag but just not prominent today, where he really should be.
Davies: Inspires no confidence. A player that somehow seems to luck out on almost every bounce. Things not running for him.
Collins showed some serious form in patches. Must learn how to hold up his best game for longer periods of time..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Jamison on Ayce Cordy all day when Cordy was forward?

I see Cordy kicked four, and from what I've read Jamison was on him for at least a bit.

Jamison was noticably stronger than Cordy and beat him in several one on ones, where he ran off him.
Cordy did take a grab directly against Jamison on one occasion and was then handed a ball over the top for another goal that I recall.
Whether Ayce got the other goals against a different opponent, I can't be sure on.

Was Jamison on Ayce Cordy all day when Cordy was forward?

I see Cordy kicked four, and from what I've read Jamison was on him for at least a bit.

He kicked two on him. One was from a good pack mark and the other was from a freak bounce that went over Jamison's head when Jamison attacked the ball and Cordy didn't. His other goals were on McCarthy.

Great read there Teaguee. :thumbsu:

If the players respsonded immediately and took the options Brock presented all day, McLean could have chalked up 50 possessions.
That's just how good he was along with his verbal instructions being on the mark on every occasion.

You do really notice things on players in the relatively quieter setting of a VFL game.
Watson gets more instructions barked at him than any other player on the ground.
Watto stand here, Watto go there, Watton man up etc etc. The kid is genuinely confused on the park.
Had a bit of f##k you about him today, which I really liked.

Rowe had some real rubbish dished up to him today, that he wouldn't have had at the better level.
Not really fair trying to get a good read on him here.

Dale has shown a lot in recent weeks and for now is miles ahead of Heyne at least, for a player that may be promoted using a LTI.
Bell and Lodge were floating about today, with neither too fussed about proceedings.

McCarthy didn't have the same presence he had last week, by being a little too reactive at times and unsure of his disposal.
Some costly fumbles but all in all he wasn't too bad.

McInnes? As yet, I have not seen what he may have to offer us.
Joseph: Mixed bag but just not prominent today, where he really should be.
Davies: Inspires no confidence. A player that somehow seems to luck out on almost every bounce. Things not running for him.
Collins showed some serious form in patches. Must learn how to hold up his best game for longer periods of time..

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsu:

I don't think Watson's a smart footballer by any stretch. It doesn't surprise me that he's being told what to do all the time. I don't think he's improved his one on one defending at all over pre-season. He should have touch on his opponent at all times to stop him losing his man and the inevitable trail behind his opponent that comes next.

I liked the look of Rowe. He's a very smart footballer and a better forward than Hampson is. Don't know if he can ruck at all. White getting injured meant Rowe had to go up against two defenders each time and I was happy enough with the contest he was giving.

I liked Dale's game but if you aren't a good user of the footy then I don't think you will make it in the AFL. For mine, Dale doesn't have the skills to kick through a press under AFL pressure.

I liked how MaCarthy put his body on the line. He just needs a bit more experience and I think he will clunk some of the marks he dropped. He's coming along nicely and i'm liking what I see of him.

Mcinnes didn't look up to it, but with no pre-season that isn't a surprise. He doesn't look to have much speed in the legs, which is the concern that I hold over him.

Any chance of one of Duigan/ Jamison playing this week?

Jamo looked ready. He played the whole game and ran the game out with plenty in the tank. Duigan played 3 quarters and it was a scratchy performance from him. Still another 1-2 games from being A.F.L ready.

Jamo looked ready. He played the whole game and ran the game out with plenty in the tank. Duigan played 3 quarters and it was a scratchy performance from him. Still another 1-2 games from being A.F.L ready.

Thanks mate. I'm also interested in how young Bootsma is coming along?

Thanks mate. I'm also interested in how young Bootsma is coming along?

I've only seen him play one V.F.L game in person but it looks like we have a lot to work with. He's got good pace on him, has Dustin Fletcher like long arms that allow him to somehow squeeze in a spoil and he can give the footy a decent roost. What he needs to work on in addition to his lack of muscles is the decision making on his kicks. A few times he tried to centre the ball in a way that needed an inch perfect kick rather than playing the percentages and going long down the line. He will overcome this with experience. He also fumbled quite a bit, which I'm hoping was down to the nerves of it being his first propper game against Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back