Former player Jarrad Grant

Remove this Banner Ad

#1: Jarrad Grant (AKA Merlin, Spindleshanks, Spock)

picture.php

Photo taken by [name]Old_Dog[/name]

DOB: 6th July, 1989

Drafted: Pick 5, 2007 AFL Draft (recruited from Dandenong Stingrays U18)

Height: 192cm Weight: 82kg

2011 Review:

Games: 16
Goals: 16
Subsituted: r11 (off)
Best and Fairest - Outside top 10
Dreamteam: 867 points; $194,800 (-$115,400)
Supercoach: 833 points; $214,900 (-$146,300)

Contract status: Out of contract?

Stats history: Jarrad Grant (AFL Tables)

After a breakout year in 2010, Grant's lackluster 2011 season saw him dropped to Williamstown three times. His best game was round 8 vs. Richmond (6 marks, 3.3) but in too many games he had little or no impact, particularly when the team as a whole struggled in heavy mid season losses to West Coast and Geelong. That said, he finished 4th at the club for marks inside 50.

Grant was trialled in defence in round 24 vs. Fremantle, but is expected to play up forward in 2012.

He recieved a nomination for mark of the year in round 15 vs. Melbourne.

A selection of past threads about Jarrad:

Jarrad Grant (2011)

Is Grant our Jack Watts? (2011)

Don't take it for Grant'ed young man (2011)

That skinny kid called Grant on a half forward (2010)

Development of Jarrad Grant (2010)

Please PM me for feedback :)

Great work Werewolf, if anyone wants to help build the OP reply within with your help and a Mod or Werewolf can edit it in.

Also any future discussion on Jarrad keep within this thread.

Jarrad Grant - turning the corner

Rewind to round 22, 2010. WB vs Essendon.

Jarrad Grant nailed 6 goals, with 22 possessions, 12 marks, 2 inside 50s, and 2 assists.

At the time he looked great, but his role in that game was essentially feeding off the spoils from forward 50 entries targetting Barry Hall.

2011 was far less fruitful, and with the retirement of Bazza at 2011's end, most of us surely had grave fears for J. Grant. Moreso after a measly showing vs West Coast in round 1.

However, Jarrad Grant was great on Saturday night. His hands were just so quick, his tackling and chasing was superb, and he took a pretty solid hit and just bounced straight up.

Playing up the ground certainly seems to suit him a lot more than in the goalsquare, and a few more games like that against Adelaide, and I will certainly have faith in our number 5 pick from 2007.

Is he finally going to come of age this year?

Re: Jarrad Grant - turning the corner

He will never be a key position player so the sooner he fits into a Murphy type role the better.

Any thoughts of him running off the wing ?

I mentioned in another thread that I was personally quite impressed with his effort on Saturday night.

There were two things I was most pleased by: a) his CONSISTENT chasing and b) his lack of flinching at a few hairy moments.

Both of those features are relatively new to his game.

His problem has always been consistency, so let's see how he backs up. But if this is the new standard for Jarrad, I think he could be McCartney's first major success.

Was impressed with his efforts on Saturday night. His tackling was a highlight, willingness to compete.

Keep it up Jarrad :thumbsu:

Rewind to round 22, 2010. WB vs Essendon.

Jarrad Grant nailed 6 goals, with 22 possessions, 12 marks, 2 inside 50s, and 2 assists.

At the time he looked great, but his role in that game was essentially feeding off the spoils from forward 50 entries targetting Barry Hall.

2011 was far less fruitful, and with the retirement of Bazza at 2011's end, most of us surely had grave fears for J. Grant.

Pretty sure Baz didn't play in the Essendon game, and that's why Grant starred. I personally thought Baz was holding Grant back, because he attracted all the ball, and Grant was left looking for scraps.

Grant said in his interview with the doggies that he wanted to dominate and be the best forward in the AFL. He's got a Franklin type 'me me me' attitude, so if the ball isn't delivered to him, the effort drops off, and we get Grant circa 2011.

Unfortunately, even now that Hall is gone, he will never be an AFL KPF because of his body type, so great move to get him up the ground where he can hunt his own ball, and hopefully (finally) live up to his potential.

If he keeps going as he is, yep, I agree, massive win for McCartney.

Was impressed with his efforts on Saturday night. His tackling was a highlight, willingness to compete.

Keep it up Jarrad :thumbsu:

I agree. Like others have said, a wing role might be the best fit.

Pretty sure Baz didn't play in the Essendon game, and that's why Grant starred. I personally thought Baz was holding Grant back, because he attracted all the ball, and Grant was left looking for scraps.
Barry played in that game, got 4 goals IIRC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/game/matchscores.html?id=3576

Hall kicked 4 that evening.

I don't ever really hope/expect Grant will play in the manner he did that night, I think his best possie is definitely up the ground on the HFF, or wing for that matter.

He seems to have unbelievable hands in traffic, so if he becomes more involved in general play, I think it will work out quite well.

Also, his marking ability is not going to be good enough to beat a KPD (i.e. Glass or Rutten), but should be too strong against any HBF players from any opposition team.

The excitement from his performance against Adelaide actually seems sustainable - let's keep fingers crossed he can continue in the same vein...

While early days so far, Grant has looked a million bucks so far.

Needs to start kicking goals to be a million bucks. :)

I agree though that his effort has been top notch.

I don't ever really hope/expect Grant will play in the manner he did that night, I think his best possie is definitely up the ground on the HFF, or wing for that matter.

He seems to have unbelievable hands in traffic, so if he becomes more involved in general play, I think it will work out quite well.

Also, his marking ability is not going to be good enough to beat a KPD (i.e. Glass or Rutten), but should be too strong against any HBF players from any opposition team.

The excitement from his performance against Adelaide actually seems sustainable - let's keep fingers crossed he can continue in the same vein...
First reaction is to say if he kicked 6 that night, surely he can do it again as a bigger and more experienced player. But then I remember Scotty West kicking 5 (also against Essendon) in one of his first few games. He ended up kicking about 100 across his whole career and never kicked 5 in one match again.

His marking is an interesting point. When he first came to the WB he had a reputation for having really sticky fingers but nobody talks about that any more. He may have lost confidence against the bigger bodies in AFL. Sure, he's never going to outbody players like Rutten or Glass 1-on-1 but on a fast lead with dukes out (like Beasley used to do) he has the speed and sure hands to be very dangerous. This may come with a few more games and more confidence in himself... and some good delivery from Cooney, Griff, etc

quote]

Yep, I stand corrected.

I think he could still be a fantastic attacking player without being a KPF, sort of like the same position Cyril Rioli plays. Start on a flank or pocket, hunt the ball/opposition up the field, then double back and run like hell to get onto it in the forward 50.

Hope he gets another full game on Saturday.

I think he has to string quite a few more decent games together before we get too excited. That being said i think he could fit that Bob Murphy mould pretty well. He just has to get his hands on the ball more because he generally makes clever decisions with it - like someone said above his hands are lightning quick.

Jarrod Grant

Why does nobody in the team get around him when he kicks goals? He barely gets acknowledged when setting up goals/shepperding also.

Strange given he's a guy who probably needs the biggest pump up during games.

Re: Jarrod Grant

Why does nobody in the team get around him when he kicks goals? He barely gets acknowledged when setting up goals/shepperding also.

Strange given he's a guy who probably needs the biggest pump up during games.

Set up Gia with a nice tap over the back and Gia didn't even acknowledge him!

not sure if he acknowledged him or not, but he shepperded a Sun player to allow Higgins (I think it was) to score a goal. I'm reasonably happy with the work he's doing off the ball.

not sure if he acknowledged him or not, but he shepperded a Sun player to allow Higgins (I think it was) to score a goal. I'm reasonably happy with the work he's doing off the ball.

That was a very good shepherd too. Really strong. Was holding him back very well. I hope he got acknowledgement for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back