Opinion Top 50 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
One of my favourite threads was Aussie Gun's top 50 through-out the last couple of years.
As AG has surrendered this task I thought I would attempt to step in and continue it this year.
I found the top 50 discussions quite invigorating and look forward to your input as we travel through 2012.
Feel free to discuss and debate with me and others on this thread. I will take all on board.
The hope is that we will have an accurate top 50 by year's end.

Update: Round 22

top50-round-222.jpg

Hawkins-low?
Rance-low?
Tippett- Rnd 1 pretty big goals, marks, hitouts
Harvey?
Brad Ebert?
Ward?

Just wondering your thoughts?:footy::footy::footy:

From thirty - seventy there is a mess of players that I believe could land in many different spots.
Hawkins could have been pushing into the top 30 easily.
Tippett, big first game, true.
Could be higher on the unluckies.
Do you believe that he should be in the 50?
Harvey and Ebert are just outside the 50 IMO.
Who would they replace if they came into the 50?
Ward? Considered because of this weeks game. Thought Palmer was their best last week but decided Greene is the only player with two consistent games that gets him anywhere near top 50.
I'd push Rance higher if I could find players who I believe he has been better than. Who do you think?

Bit early I would say to put a Top 50 together, need atleast 5 rounds i'd say. But I think you should account for competition, as I think you severely underrate Boyd at 37. 33 disposals and 8.5 clearances a game, only downside at 60% effiency.
But playing WCE and ADL. One a Top 4 an Premiership contender and the other a very good chance to play Top 8 while in arguably the best form of any team in the comp.

Whereas the likes of Bastinac who got 18 disp at 50% eff. vs Essendon, then going up against a VFL level side in GWS he inflated his stats with 44 disp.. Wouldn't rate any players that went up against GWS or GC for that matter and bullied them and didn't perform that well in their other match.

Bit early I would say to put a Top 50 together, need atleast 5 rounds i'd say. But I think you should account for competition, as I think you severely underrate Boyd at 37. 33 disposals and 8.5 clearances a game, only downside at 60% effiency.
But playing WCE and ADL. One a Top 4 an Premiership contender and the other a very good chance to play Top 8 while in arguably the best form of any team in the comp.

Whereas the likes of Bastinac who got 18 disp at 50% eff. vs Essendon, then going up against a VFL level side in GWS he inflated his stats with 44 disp.. Wouldn't rate any players that went up against GWS or GC for that matter and bullied them and didn't perform that well in their other match.

This is true but I believe that starting at round 2 gives a better framework when round 5 comes around. There will be a lot of changing in the first couple of weeks but that's the way it goes.
Boyd was horrible against West Coast despite his mountain of possessions. He was better this week.
Quality of opposition is important and on looking at the list perhaps I have overrated Bastinac and underrated Hawkins. Not sure Boyd deserves to be too much higher on the list though.

Did have a laugh at J.Riewoldt just missing. Done SFA.
Your thoughts on, Josh Kennedy? Chad Cornes? Adcock?

Chad Cornes is a good one, he should be a definite. Takes a while for the season to take shape, so it's hard doing these for the first 5-6 rounds as mrbewbs said.

Subscribed with interest.

Did have a laugh at J.Riewoldt just missing. Done SFA.
Your thoughts on, Josh Kennedy? Chad Cornes? Adcock?

He's not just missing. He's the first of Richmond's unluckies and not near the top 50.
Kennedy - probably should be the first WC unlucky. BOG in first game. Don't know how he landed outside after he was in my fifty in the first draft. Will remedy for next week.
Cornes - Was going to leave off all GWS, then put Greene. Don't think Greene is anywhere near it but then he's probably not that far ahead of Cornes. Certainly worth a look depending on his game against the Eagles. Will watch him closely.
Adcock - went missing against Carlton. Good enough in first round, though, to add to unluckies. Will jump into the fifty with a good game this week.

Appreciate the input.

Chad Cornes is a good one, he should be a definite. Takes a while for the season to take shape, so it's hard doing these for the first 5-6 rounds as mrbewbs said.

Subscribed with interest.

I expect I'll make a lot of mistakes (like forgetting JK on the actual list while having him on my draft) in the first weeks. Players will slip through the cracks but I think the fifty will sort itself out in the next few rounds and it will become easier to judge who is playing up to a standard to land them in the fifty.
In the end I'm hoping for a collaborated effort (like your thread) rather than my opinion ruling the day.
Hence, why I'm opening it up now.

It's been two weeks so I'll let the whole Hayes not being in the top ten thing slide for now.

Great effort Eagles Premiers - picking up many of the less heralded players who have started the season brilliantly

From a Hawthorn perspective;

Sam Mitchell may be a little low. You have Jobe Watson ahead of him for example and I have been actively comparing their seasons in the polls board and have Mitchell ahead both rounds with supporters of all clubs, including Essendon, agreeing. Mitchell was Hawthorn's best both weeks and has more of the ball, more contested possessions, more clearances, more tackles, more 1 % at better efficiency with less clangers against better opposition than Jobe. The coaches and the media have awarded more votes to Mitchell than Jobe. The fact that I can do similarly for others in the top 10 suggests he might be a bit low, especially given he has done that against Collingwood and Geelong and the Hawthorn midfield have been beaten both times.

Brendan Whitecross, whom I didn't expect to see, is a very good get. Was Hawthorn's clear 2nd best against Geelong for mine and right up there against Collingwood. Disposal Efficiency over 80% is the real clincher. Still feel he may be a little high (e.g. Murphy behind him) and could maybe slot in in the 30's somewhere

Lance Franklin and Cyril Rioliare known quantities and are appropriately placed. Cyril could be higher but has gone missing within games and Franklin is marked to a high standard. Birchall is the closest of the chasing pack.

Overall you have done a great job so far and the most obvious ommissions you have already recognised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll only comment on Richmond players at this early stage.

If opposition quality is taken into account, then I reckon Rance could be a bit higher on the list. Could be around the high 30s-40 mark. We've played Carlton and Collingwood and he's been good and then very good. As far as KPDs go at this early stage he is up there.

Very hard this early on, will be interesting to see how things look in a few weeks, but a very good effort. Pretty much agree with the top 5 exactly.

Riewoldt's not unlucky, he's lucky to have even made the "unlucky" list. Apart from Cotchin, Rance and Deledio our next best player over the first two weeks has been Ivan Maric imo. Wouldn't have him in the top 50, but he's had a good start to the year.

Great effort Eagles Premiers - picking up many of the less heralded players who have started the season brilliantly

From a Hawthorn perspective;

Sam Mitchell may be a little low. You have Jobe Watson ahead of him for example and I have been actively comparing their seasons in the polls board and have Mitchell ahead both rounds with supporters of all clubs, including Essendon, agreeing. Mitchell was Hawthorn's best both weeks and has more of the ball, more contested possessions, more clearances, more tackles, more 1 % at better efficiency with less clangers against better opposition than Jobe. The coaches and the media have awarded more votes to Mitchell than Jobe. The fact that I can do similarly for others in the top 10 suggests he might be a bit low, especially given he has done that against Collingwood and Geelong and the Hawthorn midfield have been beaten both times.

Brendan Whitecross, whom I didn't expect to see, is a very good get. Was Hawthorn's clear 2nd best against Geelong for mine and right up there against Collingwood. Disposal Efficiency over 80% is the real clincher. Still feel he may be a little high (e.g. Murphy behind him) and could maybe slot in in the 30's somewhere

Lance Franklin and Cyril Rioliare known quantities and are appropriately placed. Cyril could be higher but has gone missing within games and Franklin is marked to a high standard. Birchall is the closest of the chasing pack.

Overall you have done a great job so far and the most obvious ommissions you have already recognised.

Mitchell - agree. Thought he was BOG against Collingwood and awesome in the first half against Geelong. Thought he dropped off in the last quarter which may have hurt his rankings.
Possibly could be ahead of Watson and Priddis and maybe Fyfe. No higher IMO.
Whitecross - thought he was your 2nd best player in both games. I believe he has earned a spot higher than Murphy for the first two weeks and no-one else below him jumps out as his replacement at 16.

Thanks for your input.

I'll only comment on Richmond players at this early stage.

If opposition quality is taken into account, then I reckon Rance could be a bit higher on the list. Could be around the high 30s-40 mark. We've played Carlton and Collingwood and he's been good and then very good. As far as KPDs go at this early stage he is up there.

Very hard this early on, will be interesting to see how things look in a few weeks, but a very good effort. Pretty much agree with the top 5 exactly.

Riewoldt's not unlucky, he's lucky to have even made the "unlucky" list. Apart from Cotchin, Rance and Deledio our next best player over the first two weeks has been Ivan Maric imo. Wouldn't have him in the top 50, but he's had a good start to the year.

Rance - noted. He and Hawkins will get slight bumps for next week (depending on how they perform, of course).
Riewoldt - agree. Don't know what I was thinking. Must have been taken by his fluky goals in round 1. Actually Maric probably does deserve to be on the unluckies. His hair is just a little off-putting for me though.

At the very least Marc Murphy should be ahead of Whitecross, he has arguably been BOG in his two games. In fact Murphy should probably be top 10. But good on you for having a crack. Also loved these threads over the last couple of years.

I thought post quarter time Murphy was clearly the best player on the ground. That is when they took over and won the game. Simpson had a good first quarter and didn't do a great deal after that.

I thought post quarter time Murphy was clearly the best player on the ground. That is when they took over and won the game. Simpson had a good first quarter and didn't do a great deal after that.

Not sure I agree with your analysis enough to jump him into the ten but will consider a straight swap with Carrazzo once I have rewatched that match.
Thanks.

What about Josh Kennedy from the Eagles? He has only dominated the one match but you could say the same about Rockliff, Reid, Deledio.

Also think our third best player behind Pendles & Cloke so far has been Sidebottom, would probably at like to at least see him in the unluckies.

Bastinac at #30 is probably too high for someone who has just had a big game against the worst team of the last 40 years.

I think you are looking at possessions a little to much.
Fyfe for example is getting 29 possessions per game sure but is going at 52% DE and is averaging 8 and a half clangers per game miles ahead of everybody else in the league.

What about Josh Kennedy from the Eagles? He has only dominated the one match but you could say the same about Rockliff, Reid, Deledio.

Kennedy should be the first Eagle on the unluckies. I had a brain fade and forgot him in the final list. Could justify being in the fifty but I am very mindful of stuffing it with too many Eagles.

I think you are looking at possessions a little to much.
Fyfe for example is getting 29 possessions per game sure but is going at 52% DE and is averaging 8 and a half clangers per game miles ahead of everybody else in the league.

Fyfe was BOG in round 1 for mind but I take your point.
Off last week he really does not deserve to be ahead of players like Mitchell or Ryder. This will be rectified this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back