If the Suns get belted by Essendon...

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It would have to be the beginning of the end for McKenna. Surely having Bock, Fraser and Stanley back should result in the game being fairly close at the very least but if it isn't you have to think McKenna is the problem, not the players.

What do you guys think? The Suns really shouldn't be on the end of 100 points beltings anymore IMO.

If it's another 100 point loss, it's certainly not going to help his cause, no.

Depends on the ins and outs of course, but yeah.

I wouldn't say it's the beginning of the end quite yet given it's only round 3, but it's not going to help alleviate pressure that's on him from the media. That's for sure.

If we continue to get them going into round 9 or 10, then yeah... that's the beginning of the end.

Too much heat is on McKenna for my liking. I think so far he has been reasonable, and deserves an extension.

I think more blame is to be put on the players, its pretty clear that they lack the defensive pressure on the field and if we are getting outweighed so much in the disposal count, why are the players not tackling and at least winning this stat? Are some of the players scared of the hard stuff? Not running hard enough defensively as they are offensively. The cattle and their mindset is probably more of a concern than the coach, he cant exactly put his boots on and show the kids how he used to do it 15 years ago.

Too much heat is on McKenna for my liking. I think so far he has been reasonable, and deserves an extension.

I think more blame is to be put on the players, its pretty clear that they lack the defensive pressure on the field and if we are getting outweighed so much in the disposal count, why are the players not tackling and at least winning this stat? Are some of the players scared of the hard stuff? Not running hard enough defensively as they are offensively. The cattle and their mindset is probably more of a concern than the coach, he cant exactly put his boots on and show the kids how he used to do it 15 years ago.

I think people need to take a deep breath and consider the mammoth task GCS (and GWS) have undertaken in entering a new club into an established competition.

Everyone on the board and coaching staff I imagine would have been involved in the big decisions when starting up the club.

At this stage I think it is not only ridiculous to talk about replacing McKenna, but also short sighted.

The "window" is still 3-5 years from opening and in that time there is unfortunately going to be some pain.

However throughout this period, players will get older, increased game tally and be bigger bodied.

This is the time when McKenna & Company can be judged.

Anyone watching the players during the game can see their passion and endeavour. The reality is they have still an enormous amount of "football smarts" to learn.

For what it is worth, I support McKenna in his role a coach and believe he should be given a 2-3 year contract.

This would immediately extinguish the disruptive nature of whether the coach was staying or going.

Supporters need to be vocal and support McKenna and the players in their quest to be a successful club.

Hopefully the decison makers do not lose their nerve and show that they are in it together!

I think people need to take a deep breath and consider the mammoth task GCS (and GWS) have undertaken in entering a new club into an established competition.

Everyone on the board and coaching staff I imagine would have been involved in the big decisions when starting up the club.

At this stage I think it is not only ridiculous to talk about replacing McKenna, but also short sighted.

The "window" is still 3-5 years from opening and in that time there is unfortunately going to be some pain.

However throughout this period, players will get older, increased game tally and be bigger bodied.

This is the time when McKenna & Company can be judged.

Anyone watching the players during the game can see their passion and endeavour. The reality is they have still an enormous amount of "football smarts" to learn.

For what it is worth, I support McKenna in his role a coach and believe he should be given a 2-3 year contract.

This would immediately extinguish the disruptive nature of whether the coach was staying or going.

Supporters need to be vocal and support McKenna and the players in their quest to be a successful club.

Hopefully the decison makers do not lose their nerve and show that they are in it together!

Good post.
The fact is even though the Suns have played a whole season now, that just means that their debutants from last year now have 17 - 22 odd games under their belt - some considerably less..
It really takes more time and experience for the team to be consistently competitive.. Realistically last year the Suns were competitive for 2 quarters a game on average, this year the pass mark should be for them to be competitive for 3 quarters a game, on average..

And IMHO a young club needs coaching stability.. Look at Melbourne - they weren't terrible last season but this year they have a new coach, a new game plan to learn, and they are looking very very poor right now, and their players have (on average) had AFL careers easily twice as long as the average Sun.

It would have to be the beginning of the end for McKenna. Surely having Bock, Fraser and Stanley back should result in the game being fairly close at the very least but if it isn't you have to think McKenna is the problem, not the players.

What do you guys think? The Suns really shouldn't be on the end of 100 points beltings anymore IMO.

I think one of our pressing issues is that it takes much longer for talls to develop and it is our talls & KPP that are causing concern (eg: Lynch, Day, Zac, Dixon, May etc) .. but apart from Fraser we don't have any other option but to play the tall kids. We don't have mature quality talls to straighten us up at this stage. Warnock is new and under seige so you can't blame him though i did have issues with his game this week ... These guys will get there but it will take time.

Bock being back will make a difference but he is only one man.

Nothing McKenna or any other coach could do about that.

If we keep getting thrashed & the rest of the players take a confidence drop well i am not sure there is any quick fix.

The kids need games. It's not nice to watch a 100pt belting, but if the kids have anything in them resembling professional athletes they'll learn from these losses and do what it takes to win.

McKenna should be given a longer leash, but the pressure is good for him I think.

That said remember most of our players under 21 have under 20 games in them at AFL level. Watch our 2nd's dominate like competition and you'll see the hope. In two years if we're still getting belted by 100pts then you're gonna see Roos or Malthouse waltz in and win with all these kids having 60-80 games under their belt. Time will tell.

Watch GWS vs. Suns records this year. If we win 3 games and GWS wins 6, that tells you alot and you should be scared. If we win 6 and GWS wins 3, that will tell likewise.

There will probably be more heat on him but there probably shouldn't be. I think expectations for GC are not in line with the reality of the situation. GC were lucky to win three games last season (given their percentage across the season) but that's what people are focusing on. I would consider development for GC to be pushing their percentage up to around 70-75 per cent, regardless of the number of wins. The media would disagree with me though.

The heat on McKenna should only increase if GC lose to GWS, which would indicate that something isn't quite right with the development of their youngsters. In that case, I could see the situation getting a little ugly.

Bock, Stanley, Fraser all need to come in. Proven mature bodies that will hold their own v Essendon. Not going to win ball games sticking with 20yo's week to week.

Id personally bring Iles in also but unlikely given he was dropped for not sticking to game plan last week.

There will probably be more heat on him but there probably shouldn't be. I think expectations for GC are not in line with the reality of the situation. GC were lucky to win three games last season (given their percentage across the season) but that's what people are focusing on. I would consider development for GC to be pushing their percentage up to around 70-75 per cent, regardless of the number of wins. The media would disagree with me though.

The heat on McKenna should only increase if GC lose to GWS, which would indicate that something isn't quite right with the development of their youngsters. In that case, I could see the situation getting a little ugly.

I think you are on the right track here. We were lucky to win 3 games last year. We won 3 close games, but our percentage was just over 50, because we were smashed in a lot of other matches. We could improve this year & still not win more than 3 games, but if we're more competitive, our percentage will reflect the improvement.

We shouldn't sack Bluey now, but we shouldn't renew his contract yet either. Give him time to see whether the team improves during this season. If we don't improve, someone else will have to take over.

I think you are on the right track here. We were lucky to win 3 games last year. We won 3 close games, but our percentage was just over 50, because we were smashed in a lot of other matches. We could improve this year & still not win more than 3 games, but if we're more competitive, our percentage will reflect the improvement.

We shouldn't sack Bluey now, but we shouldn't renew his contract yet either. Give him time to see whether the team improves during this season. If we don't improve, someone else will have to take over.

You guys play GWS twice? Surely need to at least win both of those for a pass mark, if you cant scrounge another two wins over and above GWS then this year is a fail IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too much heat is on Mckenna, he deserves at least 3 years before people can expect suns to be more competitive.

There was a thing on AFL 360 last night from Malcolm Blight saying his review will be concluded within 4-6 weeks.

The consensus on the panel was that he's definitely getting an extension.

Malthouse has also come and said on radio, if he was offered the job of head coach at GCFC he would refuse and would never undermine a mate (McKenna).

I think most of us would just be happy with a win at Metricon..I'd give Bluey the keys to the city if we were in a winning position at 3 quarter time one day soon...preferably this Saturday

Nah. I think McKenna is safe. For all the talk he knows the kids and will get the most from them. No other good candidate either.

I fear the Suns may follow the same path as the Dockers when they came into the league.

I could be wrong though....(very, very wrong).

(more right than wrong I must admit)

I fear the Suns may follow the same path as the Dockers when they came into the league.

I could be wrong though....(very, very wrong).

Incorrect
Whatever happens to us will not reflect the Freo experience
Our setup looked at the issues with previous expansion clubs and has tried to avoid those
We hope to be enjoying some of those sweet father-son deals in a few years time
We've been studying Geelong for those

Get Hunt out, play him in the 2nds McQualter style.

This club wont go anywhere with Karmichael in the best 22.

My only issue with the club, re signing Karmichael for more money than he is worth on a multi year deal.

He's ok but not at the level to play in a finals AFL team. How is he better than Iles, Jolly, Stanley, McQualtar, Gilbee to name a few who all play 2nds atm.

He seems to be good for the club as far as leadership/promtions etc goes but on field there are many better options. I feel there is pressure from the board to keep playing him as McKenna & co wouldnt play him week after week otherwise.

I'd be surprised if we touched you up by more than 7-8 goals.

Essendon, whilst not kneecapped by injury, aren't sending its absolute strongest side - and we don't travel well.

After getting flogged last week, and being at home you'd think you guys will at least be reasonably competitive.

Even last year when we annihilated you we still lost a quarter.

I think if you at least show a bit McKenna shouldn't be blamed. If you do happen to rollover and cop an unholy belting then yeah, I think some pressure is justified.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back