Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
It's getting closer (May 22 if recent reports are true), apparently 10 million pre-orders, so I thought it warranted a thread.

Anyone holding out for this one? I've got my eye on the HTC One X but am just waiting for more official word on the S3 so I can make up my mind.

Rumoured features:

• 4.7" Super AMOLED Plus screen of a 1280 x 720
  • Quad Core Processor with 2gb RAM
  • Wireless charging
  • Mixed reports of 8 or 12 MP camera
  • 9mm non-plastic body
Pictures that are probably fake:

galaxy-s3-leak.jpg

galaxy-s3.jpg

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
I haven't heard of these particular rumours. Im a bit skeptical since Samsung always releases their phone first in South Korea before anywhere else.

That being said it would be great to see how far Samsung can bury the iPhone 4S with the Galaxy S3.

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I google news search it every day, so have been a bit overloaded with useless rumours :eek:

Hanging out for it too.

I had a N97 my last plan but lost it after a few months. Have been offered an early upgrade after using a second hand iPhone 3 for the duration. The iPhone 3 sucks. I miss calls constantly without the phone ringing, only to get missed call texts,sometimes hours later, and it freezes all the time. I need a new phone and it looks like the Samsung Galaxy will be the go and although the S2 is still a good phone, I'd hate to get another 24 months contract and be only a matter of weeks off getting the better upgrade.

However, it looks like it could be a July release elsewhere first and maybe September in Australia. It's a long time to put up with the piece of s**t I have now.

I'm not an iPhone bigot. My wife and daughter have had 3s and now 4 and 4s respectively and would look at the iPhone 5 in comparison to the S3 but I reckon being locked into iTunes and having to send your phone away to replace a battery, makes up my mind.

I'm being tested big time by the sheer amount of calls I miss or that just drop out. Not sure if it is an Optus problem but they are not having the problem with their iPhone 4s. The universe is testing me to see if I can hold out. Hurry up S3.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Should be a nice phone, but I wouldn't believe all the rumours. People said the same things about Galaxy Nexus and ended up feeling disappointed at the real specs.

My S2 does everything I need it to do so I won't be upgrading any time soon.

I've decided that it could take several months for the S3 and all we are waiting for is more RAM, slightly faster processor, quad core which some phones out already have and the possibility of wireless charging, which admittedly is cool. By then I could be a third of the way through a new plan and looking to late 2013 for the next best thing.

Having read reviews of the S2 which holds up well, iPhone 4S which just doesn't stack up in the majority of categories quite as well IMO and Galaxy Note, I'm going to bite the bullet and go for the phablet. Hope I can fit it in my pocket. Stacks up well in almost every area and the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 is coming for it.

Love the video editing software with music overlays, love the screen size, larger battery and even stylus especially for taking screen shots and highlighting documents, maps etc. May even use the Draw function. Some lag from portrait to landscape and maybe in shutter speed but you can't have everything.

Rang Optus World today, said they didn't have any and tried to sell me on HTC One. I'm flat out finding one review that says the HTC One is better than the Galaxy Note.

The thing is when the S3 comes out, something else will be coming out shortly after and how long do you keep waiting for the next best thing. Just grab the current best thing and go with it, unless the next best thing is 2 weeks away.

Anyone have any grave misgivings about the Galaxy Note?

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In my opinion, the 3.5" iPhone is too small and the 4.65"/4.7" Samsungs are too big. The S2 is probably the best phone on the market in terms of size and weight.

Does it feel a bit odd using something that large to make calls?

It's a little bit odd but not insurmountable. I spend a lot of time playing music, editing videos, going online and less time on the phone so it is like having a mini tablet that makes calls.

Everybody I have shown so far wants one. It is that impressive.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A friend emailed me yesterday asking my opinion about the G Note. I'll probably tell her she should get it, I reckon it's ideal for her. One, she'll carry it in her bag rather than her pocket, and two, she kind of needs a phablet cos she's wasted her time with some cheap 2nd hand Chinese Android tablet off eBay. The thing that annoys me about Android devices is how slow OS updates are. Why aren't all devices released now coming with ICS out the box? I don't want to hear about custom ROMs, that isn't relevant to most people.

And I think too much advertising time has been wasted on the stylus. Much like Siri with the iPhone 4s, it's a novelty that few people will use to the extent that the propaganda implies, if at all.

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
And I think too much advertising time has been wasted on the stylus. Much like Siri with the iPhone 4s, it's a novelty that few people will use to the extent that the propaganda implies, if at all.
Draw something ;)

Agree. I only thought the stylus would be useful for highlighting documents even though they promoted the drawing part so much. Anybody that can draw is hardly going to do it using a stylus on a phone, unless you were extremely bored. It isn't even responsive enough to draw fine lines if you have to continue where you left off.

Tell you what though, iPhones seem like toys in comparison. If anybody wants to know what functions it has that don't get a lot of promotion, happy to advise.

I didn't know it had its own voice search functions. It has two actually. My daughter went on about Siri but it turns out the Note can do anything Siri can do except tell a story or joke around. Those things are two day novelties anyway.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Could say the same about Microsoft Office over the years. I'm sure Word 95 and Excel 95 would still get the job done.

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
Could say the same about Microsoft Office over the years. I'm sure Word 95 and Excel 95 would still get the job done.

Ditto Windows. And the number of people still hanging onto Win XP and older versions of MS Office should tell Samsung something about how long they can commerically sustain this breakneck release schedule they're on. Eventually people are going to get tired of the constant upgrading game and just settle with one decent phone until it actually starts failing them. And the more Samsung pump out upgraded models, the more they harm their ROI on the previous models by giving them so little time at the top of the market.

(Apple has its cult status to prolong the success of this model, but even they will eventually have to deal with it)

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I wonder if they could get away with what Apple do, just re-release their product and just chuck an S at the end or call it the "new" one and watch people still flock to it.

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
Not if you've been using mobiles for a while ;)

old-mobile-phone.jpg

The good old days.

The old man's first mobile was a Motorola of that vintage. The simple act of making a phone call standing out in the middle of a farm was spellbinding. It may as well have been magic.

It's a little bit odd but not insurmountable. I spend a lot of time playing music, editing videos, going online and less time on the phone so it is like having a mini tablet that makes calls.

Everybody I have shown so far wants one. It is that impressive.

I've been hanging out for the S3 but the Note is testing my faith. Although I currently have a Nokia E63, so either would be a massive step up.

I've been hanging out for the S3 but the Note is testing my faith. Although I currently have a Nokia E63, so either would be a massive step up.

Well I was hearing of a July release for the S3 overseas and as late as September for Australia.

Given Optus rang me 18 months into my 24 month contract and offered a free upgrade, I figure I may get another upgrade 12 months after the S3 comes out anyway. I was using a glichy iPhone 3 before so hanging out for a faster processor and more memory with the S3 suddenly didn't seem like being worth 6 months. If I have to wait longer for a release next time, I'm sure the Note will keep me happy for a while.

Back