Entertainment & Music Worst Aussie TV show around at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

What I find strange is Australians in general are rather crude but the commercial stations want to make shows that dilute the characters so much that you can not relate to any of them.

I think this is what makes Wilfred so great is he acts and talks like a lot of Aussies. Some of the best Aussie shows created were the rude and crude full frontal or chaser's war on everything. They've got to stop worrying they're going to offend someone and go back to basics.

Shock value humour has the potential to become extremely lazy very quickly. I stopped liking chaser years ago for this reason.
However I agree that the characters in Wilfred were great and uniquely Australian. :thumbsu:

How awesome was it when they dressed up as terrorist for IFAC (or whatver it was) and walked straight into it!

There's been plenty of good scripted shows around in the last few years, but few of them have been mentioned in this thread. East West 101, The Circuit, Rake, Tangled, The Slap, The Straits are just a few I can think of in the last few years that are very decent. Further back you have shows like Love My Way.

Maybe not many compared to somewhere like the UK, but the Australian TV industry is on a hiding to nothing. The market just isn't big enough to sustain production of high-cost shows (which means scripted shows). As a result there isn't enough work for actors and writers which means all the decent ones go overseas and lowers the quality of shows that are produced. If the quality is low then the ratings share of an already-small market gets even smaller.

When a massively successful show like Sea Patrol has to be cancelled as unprofitable when the government stops subsidising it, then it shows how hard it is to make a buck on local content. It's just easier to do low-budget stuff like panel shows, game shows, reality TV to cover Australian-made requirements.

Unless they got Stephen Fry out here to host it I couldn't see an Australian version of QI working, just wouldn't be the same without him. We probably don't have the same quality of guest comedians here either.

Could see an Aussie version of QI being as big a disaster as the Aussie version of Top Gear. You can't just copy the formulas of successful overseas shows and expect them to be just as successful, it's the people in those shows like Stephen Fry, Jeremy Clarkson and James May that make them successful.

Lucky I didn't include my dream line-up of Kyle Sandilands hosting and Trevor Marmalade in the Alan Davies role.

There's been plenty of good scripted shows around in the last few years, but few of them have been mentioned in this thread. East West 101, The Circuit, Rake, Tangled, The Slap, The Straits are just a few I can think of in the last few years that are very decent. Further back you have shows like Love My Way.

:confused: That was just terrible.

Not many, if any, at the moment that I like but a few from the past that I have liked:

Prisoner
The Sullivans
Mother and Son
Hey Dad
Water Rats

The Straits was diabolic.

Agreed and it got worse as the season went on. It's up there with the worst I've seen.

On a positive note, prisoner was sensational. That was low budget. I don't buy the "we don't have money to make TV" - TV execs don't have faith in our ability to create low budget tv - we can do it. Remember 'super gran'?

;)

:confused: That was just terrible.
I only watched the first episode (not my thing) but I thought that was quite good for what it was. Came across as basically a more restrained version of Underbelly, with better acting. Some of the comic touches I thought were a bit try-hardish but overall pretty decent.

Perhaps the problem is that people are expecting Australian channels to turn out HBO-quality drama?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I see the Footy Show on the list of 'good Aussie shows'? When that's the standard, there's no wonder there's no good shows

Especially the NRL Footy Show. I don't believe there is one Rugby League player who is capable of stringing a sentence together.

Especially the NRL Footy Show. I don't believe there is one Rugby League player who is capable of stringing a sentence together.

I do not like Rugby at all, but this show is much better than the AFL version.

I only watched the first episode (not my thing) but I thought that was quite good for what it was. Came across as basically a more restrained version of Underbelly, with better acting. Some of the comic touches I thought were a bit try-hardish but overall pretty decent.

Perhaps the problem is that people are expecting Australian channels to turn out HBO-quality drama?

No, the first episode was solid. It went downhill rapidly after that.

What about this awesome show....

[YOUTUBE]JjwqABHA2IA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]-GVs-g_blA0[/YOUTUBE]

Matty Johns could and he was pretty funny too, especially when he was Reg Reagan, but then they axed him over his involvement in that rugby league rape scandal.

The NRL Footy Show hasn't been anywhere near as good since he left, it's like the AFL Footy Show without Sam Newman.

Did I see the Footy Show on the list of 'good Aussie shows'? When that's the standard, there's no wonder there's no good shows

Pretty sure I said 'used to be good'. Its horrible now. Once upon a time it was informative.

One show I enjoy wathcing is Q&A on ABC. Really well hosted and they get some great debates going.

I watched the whole series and thought it was quite good. Much better than the dunderbelly franchise and having Brian Cox as the patriarch was a great get. The scene where he threatened Martin Sachs was ****in' menacing.

Have a look at this:

Ten reveals new line-up, hits back at critics

and tell me what you think about Ten's chances of being even vaguely watchable in the upcoming year.

also, Tony Martin's tweet on the matter:

Channel Ten announce new 'water cooler shows'. No mention of Andrew Bolt's 'So You Think You Can Vilify':

I haven't seen it but would be surprised if it's as good as the english version.

It's very good - the host is fantastic, and some of the Homes they've built on it have been amazing.

Kevin is great, and you can't beat it when a Pom does up a 500 year old decaying Monastery, but the Aussie version stands on it's own two feet very well.

It's very good - the host is fantastic, and some of the Homes they've built on it have been amazing.

Kevin is great, and you can't beat it when a Pom does up a 500 year old decaying Monastery, but the Aussie version stands on it's own two feet very well.

Actually I think you're playing down the role Kevin plays as a brilliant narrator.

How the hell did you reach that conclusion?

I think Kevin is brilliant, he's the perfect host for that show, but that doesn't mean our version is s**t because Kevin doesn't host it. And it's a hell of a lot easier to make a renovation of a building older than Australia (European Australia, don't crack the shits) have an interesting narrative and detailed story than it is a block of land in Melbourne.

Australian Grand Designs is great; it isn't s**t just because it isn't the British version.

Hermes thinks anybody who doesn't rate Aussie TV should go **** themselves;

hermesza4.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back