Entertainment & Music Worst Aussie TV show around at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

The NRL Footy Show was pretty good when the lineup was Harragon/Johns/Vautin/Sterling. Bloody awful now, I can't stand to watch it.

Q&A is pretty horrible.

I like the Australian version of Grand Designs but you are always going to find wackier building projects in the UK. Aside from a bigger population to choose from, most of the more interesting Grand Designs programmes are about buildings designed to combat pretty restrictive situations - funny shaped blocks, stringent building standards, historic building protections. There's far more of those in the densely populated and historic UK than there are here.

As an aside, I often wonder how people afford those buildings. They always go way overbudget and the programme makes it seem like their initial budget is already pretty close to maxed out. Yet when they come back the place is always stuffed full of brand new designer furniture?

How the hell did you reach that conclusion?

Because you made the point of difference in the two that the poms have the advantage of better houses.... That is downplaying the fact the Kevin is a brilliant host. He is what makes the show great (imo). And I can guarantee with a fair amount of certaintity that he's a better host than the person hosting the aussie one. Even if he was narrating building projects in Broadmeadows and the aussie host was narrating projects restorating castles with vineyards in france.

I think Kevin is brilliant, he's the perfect host for that show, but that doesn't mean our version is s**t because Kevin doesn't host it. And it's a hell of a lot easier to make a renovation of a building older than Australia (European Australia, don't crack the shits) have an interesting narrative and detailed story than it is a block of land in Melbourne.

Australian Grand Designs is great; it isn't s**t just because it isn't the British version.

Do you have shares in the production of the aussie grand designs?

I don't need to fill up every hour of my time watching TV. I've seen enough Australian reality TV to make an executive decision that I'd rather not waste my time on it and that the poms are probably making a much better version of >insert show< anyway.

In closing, I DIDN'T SAY that Aussie grand designs is s**t, i was honest and said i've not seen it. If i'm desperate to fill in an hour of time i'll download an episode. FFS :rolleyes:

Kevin is great, and you can't beat it when a Pom does up a 500 year old decaying Monastery

Note the comma.

Again, he is excellent, but the Australian guy is very good as well; just because the British one is a 10/10, doesn't mean the Australian one is a 1/10.

They're personalities are great, another example would be 'Top gear' and then our abysmal replication of it. I liked their cooking shows, even masterchef - there's just no way i would watch it here. Grand designs and that other renovation show. Wife swap. They could even make a house cleaning show funny. They are good at reality tv.

So you wont watch it just because it's Australian?

Most Australian TV is s**t, I agree with that, I was just pointing out that Australian Grand Designs isn't an embarrassment when compared to the original one.

ITT, nicky outs herself as a racist*

I've not seen it, but I've watched enough TV to know that the black/abo/gay version is heaps shitter and not worth watching

/nicky

----

Actually having made that post, it reminded me that NITV is one of the worst channels on Foxtel.

Talking bout your generation - Josh Thomas and Charlie Pickering = terrible tv show. Amanda Keller isn't much better but those two are shithouse. To be honest I've never found Micaleff very amusing either.

The Straits is an appropriate mention, I watched the first episode, it is a massive wank if you've ever seen one.

When's the next Underbelly comming out? Channel 9 have not made a good tv show in ages, seriously footy classified is the only half decent thing on their network. Even their American shows are boring.

how people that get paid truck loads of money can't pick up on this is mind blowing.

top gear UK is watched by heaps of people with little to no interest in cars - for me i don't go out of my way to watch it, but if it's on the tv i wouldn't turn it off. i have no interest in cars at all.

but the main reason i watch it, as you say, and most probably cause of many with no car interest is because of the nature of the guys on the show.... i've watched quite a few others shows with those guys in it and they're all quite good because they have engaging personalities... you can't just make that up.

Exactly this. Reminds of when they showed the Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revelaed series. It was narrated by Mitch Pileggi who was 100% perfect for the role. Had the right amount of sarcasm and believability and everything. So after a few episodes what do 7 do? Redub all his lines (word for word no less) by that nugget Grant Denyer. Just sounded horrible. I ended up downloading the rest of the series.

Shock value humour has the potential to become extremely lazy very quickly. I stopped liking chaser years ago for this reason.
However I agree that the characters in Wilfred were great and uniquely Australian. :thumbsu:

Whilst I agree to an extent most shows get lazy very quickly. This is why I like UK shows where they have very limited seasons even though the show is still popular ie inbetweeners

I don't know if anybody has watched Not Going Out with Lee Mack but I think an Aussie version of a similar storyline would be a fantastic show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

88 posts and no Offspring?

It's like the failed offspring (pun intended) of The Secret Life Of Us.

Woodley not that far behind.

One of the winners is Adam Hills In Gordon Street for mine.

The worst overseas program for mine is Glee.

Lifestyle, Æ, Fox Sports channels, Music and the like are my cup of tea.

Whilst I agree to an extent most shows get lazy very quickly. This is why I like UK shows where they have very limited seasons even though the show is still popular ie inbetweeners

I don't know if anybody has watched Not Going Out with Lee Mack but I think an Aussie version of a similar storyline would be a fantastic show.
Saw a few eps of that, I think, was on one of the local channels quite late?

Bloody funny - will have to get my hands on it ;)

Skins is another example - I love the first few series, with the original cast, but I haven't watched any of it since they moved on.

Skins is another example - I love the first few series, with the original cast, but I haven't watched any of it since they moved on.

Kingy I am disappoint!

Skins is one of my favourite shows, and by rotating the cast every 2 seasons, they avoid the pitfall most shows hit, where the cast ages. Has been cancelled though, but they will have a 7th season, with 2 episodes per generation. Should be win.

There is one overseas tv show that Australia does well, Who Do You Think You Are? on SBS.

The original UK series is a great show and the Australian version which is produced in WA is just as good. Hard to think of a better hour of television at the moment, just about every episode has interesting stories going back in history and it's brilliantly researched and produced.

Thank god for SBS, they are the one saving grace of Australian television. While the other commercial stations mainly consist of unfunny sitcoms, idiotic reality shows and generic crime shows, SBS continue to show interesting and intelligent tv shows and documentaries.

I barely watched SBS when it first started here but now watch it more than any other free to air tv channel.

Thank god for SBS, they are the one saving grace of Australian television. While the other commercial stations mainly consist of unfunny sitcoms, idiotic reality shows and generic crime shows, SBS continue to show interesting and intelligent tv shows and documentaries.

hands down the best FTA channel in oz... not even a contest.

admittedly i'm not a big fan of who do you think you are, but that's more just cause it's not my cup of tea in the interests department as opposed to it being a poor show... when i've watched it it's been very well researched

I barely watched SBS when it first started here but now watch it more than any other free to air tv channel.

Me too.

Other than sport/sport related programs, literally the only FTA TV I watch is on SBS.

It's almost hard to fathom how every other network fills their schedule's with so much unadulterated s**t.

I make an exception from ABC/SBS to watch Community now its back on Go, but apart from sport, there really isn't much on the commercials I watch.

on the flip side, I am reeeeeally looking forward to the ABC's two telemovies adapting a couple of Peter Temple's Jack Irish books, should be the best thing since Rake.

It's a bit sad when the most appealing thing on a given night is a rerun of Spicks and Specks, Big Bang Theory or Escape to the Country.

The teen show Dance Academy is okay. The Slap has been acclaimed. Australia has some okay political analysis TV. I didnt mind the 1st and 3rd seasons of Underbelly. I've seen two episodes of Outland and laughed a lot.
Generally though, there is usually only 1-2 dramas running at any time that are decent.

Worst. Purely from adds, Wild Boys looked like a nadir. TT/ACA just have no soul, often no academic reasoning.
Other shows liked Packed to the Rafters and Offspring have been overpraised.

Wednesday nights were good on ABC last year; Spicks n Specks-The Gruen Transfer-The Chaser-At the Movies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back