News 2012 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda's Goddard Yet to re-sign
BRENDON Goddard remains the big name yet to re-commit, but St Kilda has been given a boost by ruckman Ben McEvoy and defender Sam Fisher re-signing with the club.
So basically, the media is all over Goddard to GWS, he repeatedly says he wants to be a Saint. So the rumour changes to McEvoy to GWS. McEvoy and Fisher re-sign, so what to they lead with? Goddard yet to re-sign :rolleyes:

they could have also gone with gwuilt yet ro re-sign, montagna yet to re-sign, stanley yet to re-sign.

ho hum, it will happen or it won't. i won't be losing sleep over it. i was concerned mcevoy had not re-signed. but now that ok, i am fine!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...ke-junkyard-dogs/story-e6frf9jf-1226325657437

The re-signing of leadership group members Sam Fisher and Ben McEvoy this week has provided an added lift around the club.

"It's more important to us that we continue to build a really strong culture here and it keeps players here,'' the coach said.

"Sammy Fisher and Ben McEvoy are key platforms for us going forward, two terrific characters and great players who have served the club well and continue to do so.

"I don't think it's a massive surprise internally. These guys love playing for the footy club, so the expectation is that they're going to sign. It would be a shock if it went the other way, to be honest. It does reinforce where we're going as a group.''

So, does it apply more pressure to senior players Brendon Goddard, Leigh Montagna and Sam Gilbert who are coming out of contract at the end of the season?

"You would have to ask them. We've got conversations going on between the club and their managements. There's a process we go through,'' Watters said.

St Kilda has most of its list available, with Dean Polo unable to regain his place after suspension, while rebounding defender Jason Gram ready to play again.

"Adam Schneider is a couple of weeks away, Jason Gram is back as of this week and James Gwilt has been in full training for almost a month, so he's getting closer.''

St Kilda's Goddard Yet to re-sign
So basically, the media is all over Goddard to GWS, he repeatedly says he wants to be a Saint. So the rumour changes to McEvoy to GWS. McEvoy and Fisher re-sign, so what to they lead with? Goddard yet to re-sign :rolleyes:

This headline is pretty disappointing.

If we apply this standard of story writing to last week's game...

"St Kilda fail to beat Gold Coast by 100 points".

or the Test Match in the West Indies...

"Australia fail to beat West Indies within four days"

Considering it was a straight news story (or should have been), the reporting should have been focussed on what has taken place, rather than what has not.

However, we get this treatment. From a club sponsor.

They're always going to focus on Goddard. He's pretty much in the Pendlebury/Ablett bracket of things. And it'll keep happening all year until which he re-signs or leaves. At which point, all media outlets will claim they knew it the entire year.

Hooray for Macca and Chips though! Macca's a huge signing :)

This headline is pretty disappointing.

If we apply this standard of story writing to last week's game...

"St Kilda fail to beat Gold Coast by 100 points".

or the Test Match in the West Indies...

"Australia fail to beat West Indies within four days"

Considering it was a straight news story (or should have been), the reporting should have been focussed on what has taken place, rather than what has not.

However, we get this treatment. From a club sponsor.

You're not suggesting a newspaper be bias based on the fact they're one of our sponsors are you?

Start doing that and the next thing you know a Murdoch owned print rag will start bagging the NBN ...

You're not suggesting a newspaper be bias based on the fact they're one of our sponsors are you?

Start doing that and the next thing you know a Murdoch owned print rag will start bagging the NBN ...

The suggestion is that newspaper print news as opposed to printing speculative opinion, and that, as a club sponsor they would be more inclined to keep interests aligned rather than unzipping and attempting to piss on it with the public. :p

In saying that though, I'm waiting for the "Kyle still hosting Australia's got talent" headline, since that could be taken either way. :D

At least The Age edited article yesterday after i pointed out that to them on twitter that Dal Santo isnt out contract this year as printed! But they probably went off Herald Scum as they reported that last week...

BTW im not overly concerned about Goddard to GWS, its Goddard to Gold Coast or any other club that worries me under free agency.

At least The Age edited article yesterday after i pointed out that to them on twitter that Dal Santo isnt out contract this year as printed! But they probably went off Herald Scum as they reported that last week...

BTW im not overly concerned about Goddard to GWS, its Goddard to Gold Coast or any other club that worries me under free agency.
Absolutely, AT. Whenever a player is traded, you lose twice: you lose a player, and an opposition gains a player (it's like tipping Geelong last week - when the Hawks won, whoever tipped them is now two games up on you, not just one). So, it's not just about what we lose, but what they gain.

Goddard going to GWS means we lose a lot, but they don't really gain much. They gain the new Gary Ablett - Goddard will play fabulously, blitz every week, giving 40 disposals... to a bunch of hacks that turn those disposals back to the opposition. Utterly pointless.

But Goddard to a good team. Ugh. Luke Ball 2.0.

Two things about Goddard:

One - he's a restricted free agent. St Kilda, if is has the room in its salary cap, can match any offer from another club and Goddard has to sign with us.

Two - BrianSpeaking is a pretty good club source around these parts, and after Lyon left, he became unequivocal in his belief Goddard would stay at St Kilda.

Now, back to The Age. What's the point of getting money from that organisation if they are just going to print garbage? You can tell Pierik used to write for the Herald-Sun. This was not a case of a sub-editor making a headline that didn't relate to the story - two of St Kilda's most important players re-sign, and the first paragraph focusses on another player who has not re-signed (yet).

They should get the Terry Wallace/Geoff Poulter treatment.

That story on Zac paints him as a lot naughtier than Ross did at the time. Was Ross covering for him, or is Caro inaccurate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say she made two mistakes.

"The club's new forward coach Adam Kingsley worked closely with the former basketballer over the late spring and summer and his advice to the senior coach was that building Stanley's confidence should be the priority"

I'd say she made two mistakes.

"The club's new forward coach Adam Kingsley worked closely with the former basketballer over the late spring and summer and his advice to the senior coach was that building Stanley's confidence should be the priority"

Lol don't be silly Squiz. Can't you see, he's tall!! Therefore, must play/have played basketball.

One of my mates who's 6'6 get's this all the time. Responds with, 'you're short, do you play mini golf?' :D :D

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8451095

Justin Koschitzke has endured an unusual build-up to Saturday's AFL clash with Western Bulldogs after being told to go wash cars for loose change.

The ruckman/forward was forced to take a spin on the club's "wheel of misfortune" as punishment for conceding a 50-metre penalty against Gold Coast in last week's round-two clash.

Watters "It's a system many playing groups use as a fun way to punish teammates who fail to follow team rules."

"You know on a Monday or a Tuesday the players on three or four occasions, if they're unfortunate (enough) to be on the back end of that they've got to spin the wheel."

Did anyone see this?

Miracle skydiver tells of surprising 'final' thought

Hanging from a tree 10 metres from the ground, his spent parachute uselessly tangled in the branches, Sankar Venkatesan had one thought.

“It wasn’t that I was going to die, it was ‘Oh crap, I’m not going to get to see St Kilda play, I’m not going to get to see Nick Riewoldt play in the grand final','' he said yesterday from his sick bed.

An IT consultant who lives in Brisbane, Mr Venkatesan has a love of adrenaline sports and decided to add a skydiving licence to his list of achievements.

The 26-year-old had been attempting his first solo skydive on April 7 and spent about six seconds free-falling before releasing his parachute.

However when he failed to find the toggles that help dictate the chute’s movement, he became unable to control his direction or speed.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...nal-thought-20120411-1wq59.html#ixzz1s4tdmABr

The rest of the article is mainly about his accident, but it made me smile :)

My tweet during the interview with Lindsay Fox was read out on Eddie McGuire Tonight :)

Lindsay Fox for PM.

Ed was trying too hard in the Riewoldt interview, you're playing well, you look like you've bounced back, new coach blah blah blah.

Maybe a press release needs to go out along the line of the Saints have won 13 of their last 18 home and away games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back