Who is our midfield dynamic duo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was listening to SEN this morning and they were talking about tonites game, asking which duo is better:
PENDLES/SWAN vs JUDD/MURPHY

It got me thinking...

Who would you say are the Hawks equivalents...

MITCHELL & ????

Naturally I thought Hodge, but I really don't think he can be considered to be a midfielder..

Its interesting that they go that way, when in general people talk about midfield groups. It is generally not the strength of just the top two, but overall effect of the group.

I figure we match up pretty well on everyone in this regard.

Well, given the job Lewis did shutting down Judd last time we played Carlton, I'd go with Mitch and Lewis.
Hoping that by seasons end we could add Sheils to make it a trio of trouble for other clubs.

BATeMAN would be one of them.
icon12.gif

Mitchell + Sewell - But thats where we are fortunate. Could be Mitchell + Lewis or Mitchell + Hodge just as easily. As a midfield team we stack up fine with any in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we need one. By saying you have two players better than the rest is just an excuse to say the rest are s**t...

When you look at the Carlton and Collingwood due you got a quality midfielder with top skills (murphy and Pendles); then you have an overrated player with over-hyped skills and in the case of judd, no defensive side.

So for Hawthorn you need to work out which he is, the overrated player with over-hyped skills or quality mid with top skills, and then work out who best fits the other.

I don't think we have two standouts like those other clubs do.

But for the future, Shiels and Whitecross look like they'll lead the midfield and the side.

Its interesting that they go that way, when in general people talk about midfield groups. It is generally not the strength of just the top two, but overall effect of the group.

I figure we match up pretty well on everyone in this regard.

Yep, Judd/Murphy, Swan/Pend will generally equalise themselves. Its the next level and how deep it runs that matters.

Insofar as the Hawks go, we do not have a dynamic duo.
We have a solid quartet with competent sidekicks.
(Dynamic duos kick goals btw)

Should be Hodge. We have used him to plug gaps at both ends of the ground but now we have Gunston as an extra forward and Stratton as the third defender Hodge should come back into the side as a clearance winning midfield captain.

It actually must be Hodge. He is falling behind again and we desperately need his influence for a FULL game where it matters most. No more excuses for the coaching staff. He simply cannot play anywhere else this season.

Rioli although brilliant has not really delivered what we all want. Four quarters of midfield dominance in a selwood, Murphy, swan manner is required. We have the talent, just really need the execution.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Mitchelle + Hodge, ideally.

The amount of times ive seen hodge rip through an opposition midfield in the past, when hes ACTUALLY played there... well, too many to count.

Problem is we've used hodge to plug holes too many times.

I see big things in Shiels and Whitecross within the next few years.

It's Mitchell & Hodge, they're our two best midfielders by a mile.
Midfield is Hodge's best position, he's only been used in defense because it's been our team's Achilles since Clarkson took the job.

I don't think our midfield is quite as good as Carlton's, Geelong's or Collingwood's. It's certainly slower than all three. That said our midfield is physically one of the toughest, maybe the toughest of all four.

We really need to give Shiels, Savage & Smith as much gametime as possible and hope they improve (which I'm confident they will) because the pace they inject is critical. Blokes who can break the lines and give us run & carry are especially important now that Bateman is not the player he was, and Young hasn't fulfilled his potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back