NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Some interesting games this round.

Qbn v Eastlake - Tigers first test of the season, these are the games that the side will be judged on.

Tigers for me

Ainslie v Swans - Both would be disappointed with their last outings. GF replay with plenty on the line particularly for the tricolours as they have lost their last 2.

Swans for me

Tuggeranong v Sydney Uni - Tuggers have improved from their first run and Sydney won't like heading to Arctic Park.

Tuggers for their first win

UWS v Hills - UWS had a much better outing last week and Hills had a great courageous win over Ainslie.

Picking an upset here only because I wonder how many petrol tickets the Hills spent physically and emotionally last week.

UWS to get it's season up and running.

QBN FM will have the Qbn v Eastlake game on from around 2pm on Sunday so tune into 96.7 on your FM dial!

I'm thinking......

Qybn - by 8 points via home ground advantage - tight all day
Swans -by 86 , Ainslie way off pace presently -swans to bounce back strong
Tuggies by 2 - will fall over line in scrappy affair
UWS by 22 - will have more depth this week & be too strong

lads. tips from round 2 and the total. Sorry it took me so long!
Round 2 Total
elong 3 7
ABH 3 7
Collingwood08 3 6
one4theroad 4 8
flyinghi 3 7
bolton 3 6
Carrot 0 4
ACTHAWK 3 7
2010Premier 4 8
Norwest 3 3

Tips for this weekend.
Tuggies
Swans
Eastlake
Lions
Ainslie

Elong are you still ok to count the tips? These are Round2, Round 3 not counted yet. What about the draw, everyone get a point or nobody get a point?

My tips for round four

Eastlake by 4 goals just because I think they have a stronger list.
Tuggeranong by 3 goals in the battle for the spoon. Home dung heap advantage.
UWS- to bring Hills back to earth by 6 goals. Beware the let down after a terrific win (which I actually fancied but didn't have the coconuts to pick). Setanta to kick a few.
Swans to beat Ainslie by 10 goals because I reckon Ainslie aren't that much chop atm.

Elong are you still ok to count the tips? These are Round2, Round 3 not counted yet. What about the draw, everyone get a point or nobody get a point?

My tips for round four

Eastlake by 4 goals just because I think they have a stronger list.
Tuggeranong by 3 goals in the battle for the spoon. Home dung heap advantage.
UWS- to bring Hills back to earth by 6 goals. Beware the let down after a terrific win (which I actually fancied but didn't have the coconuts to pick). Setanta to kick a few.
Swans to beat Ainslie by 10 goals because I reckon Ainslie aren't that much chop atm.

I will post round 3 and 4 combined after this weeks games. pencil me in for 4 from 4 this weekend but :D

I could be wrong by exact margin as was hard to see the scoreboard but UWS beat Syd Hills by roughly 6-8 goals

Tigers were impressive in defeating Eastlake at DFP

Qbn 19-7-121
Eastlake 13-7-85

I went to the game expecting and thinking that Qbn needed to be competitive against a regular finals side to gain confidence within the playing group that they can get a good scalp and to win some respect back from within the Canberra football community.

The boys did not disappoint.

1st Term -
Qbn slammed on 6 goals to 2 in the opening term and played some excellent team football. Led by Griggs and Conroy the Tigers dominated thru the midfield which allowed the Tiger forwards enough opportunities to kick goals in a forward line which shared the workload. Eastlake were given a cruel blow when Gibson went down early in the match with a hamstring injury. It did not look severe but it might keep him out for a couple of weeks.

Qbn 6-5-41
Eastlake 2-1-13

2nd Term -

Bourkey must have given his charges a bit of a wake up call because the 2nd term was dominated by the Demons. Led by 100 gamer Maiden who gathered disposals at will and threw himself into everything the Demons kicked 5 goals to Qbn 2. Frail was doing well in the ruck, Perry was doing a good job on Kavanagh, Armstrong was moving well and looking dangerous up forward, Smith was busy and the Demons would have been the happier of the 2 camps at 1/2 time.

Qbn 8-5-53
Eastlake 7-3-45

3rd Term -

The Tigers had been challenged and everyone around the ground was wondering how they would fair when under pressure during the 2nd term. It was time for Qbn to stand up and make a statement....and they delivered with 4 goals in the opening 10 minutes. They completey got on top in the middle with Irwin given his small men first use of the footy. Griggs and Conroy continued to provide the forward line plenty of opportunities. Ben Klemke mark strongly and kicked accurately, Campbell and Fruend were busy, Jensen just burrowed in and under, Stevens again showed he has alot of class and the ability to create space when there is none. Bryce continued to completely shut down bruce to the point that Bruce was moved into the midfiedl. The term was totally dominating by Queanbeyan and they had more than met the 2nd term challenge from Eastlake.

Unfortunately for Eastlake and Stafford Cooper he re injured his shoulder late in the term. A tragedy for him as he had just come off a full reconstruction over the summer and this latest setback must surely be the end of this 37 year olds decorated career.

Not sure if he reads this Forum but I wish him the best in his recovery and its time to spend weekends with your family mate.

Qbn 17-6-108
Eastlake 10-5-65

Final Term -

Was a bit of a scrappy affair as both sides were tired, Eastlake were down to 2 only on the bench. It had been a warm day and the last 10 minutes was forgettable. Credit to Eastlake for winning the term but the damage was done in the 1st and 3rd on a day when there was no wind to speak of.

Final Scores
Qbn 19-7-121
Demons 13-7-85

Goals Qbn - B.Klemke 5, Fruend, Campbell 3, Kavanagh 2, Quade, Daniel, Stevens, Atkinson, Jolliffe, Jensen 1 each
Goals Eastlake - Armstrong 4, Mardling, Frail, Bruce, Wiles, Stoyanoff, Smith, Trew, Ayton, Ryall 1 each

Best for mine

Qbn -
Bryce, did a tremendous job on Bruce and totally cut him out of the game.

Griggs and Conroy gathered possessions at will and continually pumped the ball into the Tiger forward line.

B.Klemke, marked strongly in 1 on 1 situation or in packs and kicked accurately to be a thorn in Eastlakes side with 5 goals.

Stevens and Jensen won plenty of the ball and provided a lot of drive for the Tigers.

Irwin and Quade work hard in the Ruck and got on top the longer the day went.

Eastlake -
Perry did a great job shutting down Kav and restricting him to 2 goals.

Armstrong provided an option up forward, moved well, marked strongly in the hands and capped off his day with 4 goals.

Smith worked tirelessly throughout.
Other better performers were Frail, Wiles, Maiden, Ayton, and Ryall

Eastlake will get better, they were without Taylforth, Kimble, Brabazon, lost Gibson early, McMahon was hardly sighted against a side he has dominated against and many other players were down on their usual output.

But this would be taking plaudits away from Queanbeyan who showed that at this early stage they are no pushovers and if taken lightly will surprise.

I think they can also improve, K.Klemke was taken out of the game by Eastlake in a pre match plan to get him as far away from the footy as humanly possible, Atkinson was well done on his output, Kavanagh just had one of those days against a strong opponent that forwards can have, Tigers gifted Eastlake a few goals via poor discipline, Fruend missed form 1 yard, Klemke missed from 8 yards and in all honesty the margin should have been greater.

Makes for a great NEAFL 2012!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jason Akermanis signed with the NEAFL club Tuggeranong for 1 game.

June 23rd against Giants at Greenway.

This will be a much talked about subject I'm sure. Hopefully people focus on the positive influences this may have on the Tuggeranong football club and not try and pick out negatives.

Agreed, to many bemoan the fact the Hawks have relied on handouts and seem to get no where year after year, despite some poor losses which I am sure they will bounce back from the Hawks are at least trying to stand on thier own two feet and some of the positive things they have been doing off field will no doubt reap rewards in the future.

It would appear based on WIN NEWS that this is is more than a one game deal (they said in one bulletin he plays his first game on 23rd June) so not sure where the money is coming from but lets be realistic we all know there are people out there who step up from time to time around football clubs and perhaps they have a mystery benefactor who is funding the whole deal to help the club raise much needed funds and continue its rapid off field improvements which will no doubt be reflected in better performances into the future.

On another issue its fantastic to see Queanbeyan playing so well and it just goes to show how quickly a team can turn its fortunes around over a pre season, kudos to the guys at the Tigers, there were many doubters in this very forum some months back who said a 21 year old coach was a bad move and that the players where not behind him, I would hate to see how much better they get as a team when the players do unite behind him then!!!!!!!

On another issue its fantastic to see Queanbeyan playing so well and it just goes to show how quickly a team can turn its fortunes around over a pre season, kudos to the guys at the Tigers, there were many doubters in this very forum some months back who said a 21 year old coach was a bad move and that the players where not behind him, I would hate to see how much better they get as a team when the players do unite behind him then!!!!!!!

This was just a few from out North who were just trying to deflect the issues that were haunting their club over the summer regarding their disgraceful handling of the Michael Horne saga last season.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Now it seems that he will sign on for the rest of the season and that sounds like a better arrangement for all concerned - I revise my opinion.

They say it will get the turnstiles rotating in Canberra - do you guys HAVE a gate ? There is no gate for Sydney AFL footy, nor for NEAFL footy played in Sydney (other than for finals matches).

Any ideas on how many newbies might turn up to watch the great man ?

Any word on when they will be name the rep sqaud? Thoughts on who may be picked?

Game is on the weekend of the 27th/28th of May so it would seem logical that they would pick the squad soon to allow time for familiarisation with the other players. I assume a fair few of the guys selected in the under 23's would be selected.

Akermanis signed for the rest of the season? I thought the news said it was just for the one game against GWS?

Tips for this weekend in case i dont make it back on again:
Eastlake
Queanbeyan
Hills Eagles
Swans

Good win to the red, white and black on the weekend. Hopefully it's the begining on a good run.

in relation to the rep team. i think there are a few queries over how selection will work.

I would imagine Rourkey and whoever the other selectors are would have a pretty good idea about who they would want in the side. In the QLD competition last year, they were able to pick Lions players, as long as they hadn't played a senior game in that year so far. So at the moment there would be a number of Swans and GWS players that would be in the mix for the Eastern side if that is still the case.

The other thing is the U21 side to travel with them. is that selected based on performance in the NEAFL and who is it coached by? Jason Saddington? And players out of the Syndey competition that aren't in the NEAFL, are they included?

I think it is a great concept and the administrators are spot on with how they have structured the rep season this year.

in relation to the rep team. i think there are a few queries over how selection will work.

I would imagine Rourkey and whoever the other selectors are would have a pretty good idea about who they would want in the side. In the QLD competition last year, they were able to pick Lions players, as long as they hadn't played a senior game in that year so far. So at the moment there would be a number of Swans and GWS players that would be in the mix for the Eastern side if that is still the case.

The other thing is the U21 side to travel with them. is that selected based on performance in the NEAFL and who is it coached by? Jason Saddington? And players out of the Syndey competition that aren't in the NEAFL, are they included?

I think it is a great concept and the administrators are spot on with how they have structured the rep season this year.

Thats not quite correct- only rookie listed players that had not played a senior game were eligible and from memory it was only Niall McKeever that played. This year only rookies that are from QLD only that have not played AFL are eligible. As rookies by definition are generally 18-19 year old it is unlikely that any of them will make the team.

By the way I am looking forward to seeing my name top of the tipping leader board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back