Oppo Camp 2012 non-Geelong AFL match and general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee would love another Taylor Hunt PO.
I think he is a great match up for Garlett down back, I think Mackie could probably cover Betts fairly well.

Hunt diidn't do well against Garlett last time although remember that was the game he was rushed back far too quickly from his knee injury. I'm confident he would do better this time around.

That said they seem to be using him as a mid tagger so he might be more likely for Judd or Murphy than the small forwards.

I would think Enright will need to do a job on Betts or Garlett and Josh Hunt or Mackie might be part of that too.

Would be useful to have Wojo back by then too, I know he won't play as a lockdown defender on Betts or Garlett but his run and carry would be really useful against such a quick side.

marshhhhh

Fair Dinkum Unbelievable
Jul 20, 2011
Launceston, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Hunt diidn't do well against Garlett last time although remember that was the game he was rushed back far too quickly from his knee injury. I'm confident he would do better this time around.

That said they seem to be using him as a mid tagger so he might be more likely for Judd or Murphy than the small forwards.

I would think Enright will need to do a job on Betts or Garlett and Josh Hunt or Mackie might be part of that too.

Would be useful to have Wojo back by then too, I know he won't play as a lockdown defender on Betts or Garlett but his run and carry would be really useful against such a quick side.

I'd be thinking Boris on Betts, I think he is probably just a touch better as a one-on-one defender and at spoiling contests.

Very keen to see Taylor on Judd after his performance on Mitchell last week.

marshhhhh

Fair Dinkum Unbelievable
Jul 20, 2011
Launceston, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Talking up Carlton as flag favourites at this stage is just ludicrous I think.
Very impressive tonight, I'm not taking anything away from their performance, but they still have big challenges ahead of them.
Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast and I suppose you could even throw Freo in Perth in that mix.

Top 4 I think, probably 3rd.

Not buying into Carlton or Hawthorn either, Carlton have a fairly average key forward in Waite who always struggles against taller opposition, Betts is like Milne, the other little blokes are not contested players so they will get found out in a final unless they catch the defender pushing up the ground and run into open space (Scarlett will close up that paddock as the loose man), Walker is an x-factor but I like Taylor or Mackie on him.

Waite is better than average bobby...humiliated Harry Taylor last year and shouldn't be underrated.

As clean a pair of hands as you will see.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
nahh if you know me, I have never rated Collingwood and Dawes is a hack and fortunately always will be.

Not buying into Carlton or Hawthorn either, Carlton have a fairly average key forward in Waite who always struggles against taller opposition, Betts is like Milne, the other little blokes are not contested players so they will get found out in a final unless they catch the defender pushing up the ground and run into open space (Scarlett will close up that paddock as the loose man), Walker is an x-factor but I like Taylor or Mackie on him.

Did you not rate Collingwood when they led us by 15 goals in a Prelim Final? I did.

Carlton are a serious threat with pace to burn and a flexible forward line. They have given us some problems for a while now and they are obviously a much better side in 2012. Not much point worrying about it now, we have a big job on our hands getting into the top 4. Worry about opposition then.

Varcoe2Chapman

All Australian
Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2013 Player Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Wash. Wizards
Just remember Carlton have to win at least two finals in a row to make a Grand Final. Something they haven't done since 1999.

Cheshire Cat

Cancelled
May 31, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, Red Sox, Celtics
Just remember Carlton have to win at least two finals in a row to make a Grand Final. Something they haven't done since 1999.

Means nothing. We hadnt won two finals in a row since 95 before our 2007 premiership win. Carlton have been pushing for a few years now. Have been a tad unlucky in finals and they've been good against us for a past few seasons. This will definitely be their breakout season I feel and I actually picked them to finish the home and away season on top.

Really Bobby...you have a short memory. By your own reckoning if he takes 6 marks against us and kicks three goals he is better than you thought. Well he is better than you think, and played very well again tonight against the Pies.

15 kicks 2 handballs 10 marks 3 goals.....but hey that was only against one Grand finalist from 2011........

Lets look at the last time Waite played against us.....

Geelong 15.12.102 def Carlton 14.16.100

Waite...18 kicks 2 handballs 11 marks 2 goals.

That will do very nicely for a KPF thank you very much.

Left Harry Taylor in his wake that night, I suggest you take another look at that game. Waite was superb and nearly got them over the line.

Waite can hurt us....he's a fine player.

PS: His injuries and suspensions (probably due to blood lines!!) have kept him under the radar. IF he keeps his fitness look out for him.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Just going to pick through this a bit Bobby :D
I know that in a way you're just trying to get across that the Cats are still better. But I think the other posters are saying "dont under estimate Carlto. And I think you are doing that.

true but you always worry about teams who fire so early in a season. They simply cannot keep up the same intensity for the full 24 weeks.

We learned that lesson the hard way in 2008 and since then, we have been the team which everyone else now copies.
Our conditioning staff get us starting rather sluggishly while still winning games of footy and by the end of the year we come flying home.
Carlton could very well do similar but I highly doubt they will be having the same input after 24 bruising rounds of football.

We did it last year. How hard and physical were our first 13 games?

Who apart from Walker is still to come back into their best 22?

And is there really anything new in their game style which Geelong haven't come across in the past?

What needs to be new about their game plan?
They are actually quite unpredictable. Something Collingwood are not.
The game is based around contested footy.

Let's not forget they beat us in 2010 and should have beaten us last year.
If anything, we are the ones that need to develop to stay ahead of them.

And Kruezer is a definite worry. Not in that he could take over the game. But he does things that are difficult to stop at critical moments.

It's a shame Waite is 29. Because he could really develop an outstanding career record.
But being 29 doesnt stop him having an outstanding 2012

I'd be thinking Boris on Betts, I think he is probably just a touch better as a one-on-one defender and at spoiling contests.

Very keen to see Taylor on Judd after his performance on Mitchell last week.

I'd prefer if we had Poodle sit on Murphy, and have Kelly or Corey go head to head with Judd. Murphy's easily their best midfielder now.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Not taking anything away from Carlton,they were very good last night,they got away to a flier in the first 15 minutes which meant we really didn't see them under any sort of pressure and allowed them to play risk and reward football all night.I've seen that brand of footy somewhere else just can't remember where LOL.
Andrew Carrazzo please come home.

marshhhhh

Fair Dinkum Unbelievable
Jul 20, 2011
Launceston, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Collingwood puts the cue in the rack Melbourne style once they start falling behind.

They just look like they don't have their hearts in it playing under Bucks.

Collingwood puts the cue in the rack Melbourne style once they start falling behind.

They just look like they don't have their hearts in it playing under Bucks.

Losing Reid and Ball so early was pretty crucial as well in a game that Carlton was already favourites to win.

Mar 14, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd prefer if we had Poodle sit on Murphy, and have Kelly or Corey go head to head with Judd. Murphy's easily their best midfielder now.

Agree. Murphy is the one to target. His decision making and kicking skills are sublime and will carve up an opponent if given too much space.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
yes I know....I'm doing it again aren't I :eek:

I'm showing my true Geelong side which usually gets the better of me in discussions.

I dunno, it's just something I have seen in Carlton in big games at critical times that has me to believe they are not going to produce what Collingwood or Hawthorn have been able to do in their preliminary finals over the past couple of years.
Maybe that is due to their inexperience which will finally keep them in good stead this year after years of being on the cusp?
Who knows.

Not for one second am I saying they are good enough to win a prelim.
I'm not looking that far ahead. I just think they are pretty good. And will beat most teams.

In fact I saw some things in tight that were very suss. The sort of stuff that wont stand up in a prelim.

Collingwood were very ordinary last night. They had no attack on the ball or the opponent.

marshhhhh

Fair Dinkum Unbelievable
Jul 20, 2011
Launceston, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
It doesn't help if some players aren't sitting eye to eye with their new coach either.
Only rumors of course but it did show in their lack of effort last night.

I wouldn't see them losing the 9 games but more likely 5 losses for the year as they already have the two.

I don't think things are sitting at all well with Bucks at the helm.
It almost reminds me of the unrest we had at the end of 2010.

The games I have picked out that they are good chances of losing are:
Rd 8 - Geelong, Rd 9 - Adelaide (AAMI), Rd 13 - West Coast, Rd 15 - Carlton, Rd 16 - Geelong, Rd 17 - Hawthorn, Rd 22 - West Coast (Subiaco)

And who knows along the way.
They really shouldn't drop their next 4 (Port, Essendon, WB, Lions)

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
It doesn't help if some players aren't sitting eye to eye with their new coach either.
Only rumors of course but it did show in their lack of effort last night.

But Collingwood aren't as young as people think..they been around for a while now so perhaps they have learned through the conditioning staff how to really get the best of their players at the best time of the year.
Rather than start like Hawthorn or Carlton are doing at the moment, they may be pacing themselves with the training load etc and by mid season start to ramp things up.
I wouldn't see them losing the 9 games but more likely 5 losses for the year as they already have the two.

Collingwood lost a lot of experience at the end of 2010.
Yes most of those players weren't in the GF side but they still put the pressure on the young guys to play well.

Something they didnt have last year. (and as you know it was the young kids last year that I thought would do the damage)

It's something we're going through now.
Let's hope our coaching and teaching of the kids stops a similar thing from happening to us.

We have a lot of competition for spots. But I hope the intensity is there.
We can already see that Stokes and Byrnes 'may' not be providing the pressure they should.

marshhhhh

Fair Dinkum Unbelievable
Jul 20, 2011
Launceston, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I did notice that young Sinclair last night look a fair bit out of his depth.
Couldn't stand up in pressure situations and I thought he was a long way behind some of our kids.

Maybe biased but he did seem to struggle.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Carlton looked rampant against the Pies, a bit like we did in R24. Their style of quick play is dynamic and will worry most sides. How will we go? We have been worried by Carltons pace before but Im not sure we are the same side we were either.
I wonder if Hawthorns game will worry them , the pin point passing?

The one thing I will say. IF Collingwood now slips off the pace , it shows what an awesome group we have at Geelong . In this era of ultra professionalism to be at the top for an extended period beyond a year or two seems to have been beyond most other groups.

kanyewest

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
The one thing I will say. IF Collingwood now slips off the pace , it shows what an awesome group we have at Geelong . In this era of ultra professionalism to be at the top for an extended period beyond a year or two seems to have been beyond most other groups.

Absolutely. Hawks in 2008 implemented the cluster and then got found out 2009. Saints implemented the press in 2009 and got found out in 2011, and weren't the same even in 2010. Pies implemented super-press in 2010 and got found out in 20-- Who knows what the answer will be, but it very much looks like sides have adapted to the Pies playing style now, and we demonstrated that clearly last year.

The style we implemented in 2007 was probably out of date by 2009, but the players are so competitive that they just continued to fight on despite always being on the back foot. And then in 2011 they were professional enough to change their style, accept a new coach, and win the flag. Bravo.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
I wonder if Hawthorns game will worry them , the pin point passing?

Carlton's current level of defensive pressure all over the ground will savagely chew Hawthorn's 'pin point passing' ball movement up and spit it out in similar fashion to how the Pies were dealing with our handball by the end of 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back