North v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

agreed. for what its worth, my opinion on this is pretty straight forward. firstly, north melbourne played extremely well today and deserved the win and the 4 points. we all knew the cats would come hard at in the last quarter as they never give up, but north withstood the pressure and hit back (that ziebell goal from the boundary in particular was superb)

and lastly, it would be ridiculous and foolish to write off the cats. do this at your peril. its round 3 remember, and this is a side that has won 3 of the last 5 flags. finished after round 3? crazy stuff. a great team and this loss will hurt, but they'll fight back starting from next week. no need for the sh*t fighting.

Brilliant summation, couldnt have put it any better.

ciaobella

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Has to be a direction from above the umpiring Geelongs received this season. Freo and now North have been gifted wins with biased and one sided umpiring. The Hawkes game wasn't much better.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with a saints' fan! :D The umps from tonight's game should be sentenced to the firing squad. Seriously they were appalling. One free missed which I think the umpire will actually look back at and say to himself 'did I really do that?' was when Wells (?) was running toward the outer flank and tried to take us on, ducked his head and he was stuffed. The umpire fair dinkum crossed his arms. I think the Geelong players showed great restraint in not getting in his face to be honest.

Well done kangas. You crapped all over us. :thumbsu:

Realistic. "Cats were far from their best"....

I just hope the Roos fans don't get too carried away and acknowledge it.

Yeah, cats were down but they have been down a lot in the last few years and still pantsed sides they are that good.

I think we have been showing signs of late that the midfield is starting to mature a bit and starting to gel now that we have had some continuity in the group at last after two torrid years of injuries to the mids.

Proud of the boys, when our pressure wasn't on 100% the Cats still made us pay dearly so it shows if you are not switched on for 4 quarters against the Cats you are in strife.

Geelong will bounce back, they just didn't have the run in the legs today, write them off at your own peril.

Realistic. "Cats were far from their best"....

I just hope the Roos fans don't get too carried away and acknowledge it.

Geelong - no Scarlett, coming off a big game against Hawthorn, 2 days less rest, injuries to senior players and no Ling to hold Harvey. Would be crazy to write them off. But we have seen the best of our young midfielders finally. We've been talking them up for years but now we know we have the ability to match a good side if they all perform. Being young they'll be inconsistent and we are far from a guaranteed finals position - but the nucleus is coming together.

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, cats were down but they have been down a lot in the last few years and still pantsed sides they are that good.

I think we have been showing signs of late that the midfield is starting to mature a bit and starting to gel now that we have had some continuity in the group at last after two torrid years of injuries to the mids.

Proud of the boys, when our pressure wasn't on 100% the Cats still made us pay dearly so it shows if you are not switched on for 4 quarters against the Cats you are in strife.

Geelong will bounce back, they just didn't have the run in the legs today, write them off at your own peril.

Yeah, must agree with that. Your mids have improved a hell of a lot.

Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Can't believe I'm agreeing with a saints' fan! :D The umps from tonight's game should be sentenced to the firing squad. Seriously they were appalling. One free missed which I think the umpire will actually look back at and say to himself 'did I really do that?' was when Wells (?) was running toward the outer flank and tried to take us on, ducked his head and he was stuffed. The umpire fair dinkum crossed his arms. I think the Geelong players showed great restraint in not getting in his face to be honest.

Well done kangas. You crapped all over us. :thumbsu:

Was Thomas and yeah a free every day of the week.

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
So happy and proud of the team, they came out and played hard footy.
I have to admit it was an unexpected win, now we are 2-1 going forward.

Go North :thumbsu:

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
16 frees to 12. Usually the team that is 1st and harder at the ball wins more frees and this is why the Roos won the free count by 4.

So funny reading the Cats fans go after the umps - the thing is when you lose instead of blaming the players it is easier to blame the people not connect to the team - umpires.

End of the day the Cats were totally out played today.

Lemma

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2010
Fogarty St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What is this 2 days less rest crap?
Geelong played Monday
North played Sunday

That's 1 day less rest
Also don't say Geelong wasn't a strong team tonight:
Selwood, Corey, Bartel, Pods, Duncan, Christensen, Hawkins, Enright, Kelly, Taylor, SJ, CHappy, West, Byrnes, Lonergan, Mackie
16 premiership players!
Oh, but we were missing Scarlett!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hump 17

Club Legend
Suspended
Jun 28, 2010
Yarra Valley
AFL Club
St Kilda
What is this 2 days less rest crap?
Geelong played Monday
North played Sunday

That's 1 day less rest
Also don't say Geelong wasn't a strong team tonight:
Selwood, Corey, Bartel, Pods, Duncan, Christensen, Hawkins, Enright, Kelly, Taylor, SJ, CHappy, West, Byrnes, Lonergan, Mackie
16 premiership players!
Oh, but we were missing Scarlett!

So they where missing 6 which is 25% Great win by Nth but Geelong came in looking battered after last week and the men in yellow certainly didnt help there cause.

Hump 17

Club Legend
Suspended
Jun 28, 2010
Yarra Valley
AFL Club
St Kilda
16 frees to 12. Usually the team that is 1st and harder at the ball wins more frees and this is why the Roos won the free count by 4.

So funny reading the Cats fans go after the umps - the thing is when you lose instead of blaming the players it is easier to blame the people not connect to the team - umpires.

End of the day the Cats were totally out played today.

Geelong had five frees to three quarter time. When McIntosh pulled Bartals head off allowing an easy Nth goal the game became a farce.

Geelong played the worst they have played in 5 years. A good side would of beaten them by 10 goals. I wouldn't get to carried anyway.

Maybe just maybe North contributed a little to Geelong playing that bad.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This from a Cats fan? Priceless. :p

Hump 17

Club Legend
Suspended
Jun 28, 2010
Yarra Valley
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, McIntosh tackled Bartel high. But McIntosh should have got a free immediately prior, when held without the ball. Or didn't you notice that? :rolleyes:

Not sure if your serious he infringed on Lonergan first and only released him to head lock Bartal.

The blocking of Pods and Hawkins in marking contests was continual and was continually overlooked.

North played well but the umpiring helped them.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure if your serious he infringed on Lonergan first and only released him to head lock Bartal.

The blocking of Pods and Hawkins in marking contests was continual and was continually overlooked.

North played well but the umpiring helped them.
By the letter of the law, this should be paid more often than it is. But you're kidding yourself if you think North did this yesterday to a greater extent than any team normally does.

You saw that contest as McIntosh impeding Lonergan? Really? Did you have money on the Cats?

Hump 17

Club Legend
Suspended
Jun 28, 2010
Yarra Valley
AFL Club
St Kilda
By the letter of the law, this should be paid more often than it is. But you're kidding yourself if you think North did this yesterday to a greater extent than any team normally does.

You saw that contest as McIntosh impeding Lonergan? Really? Did you have money on the Cats?

Firrito and Thompson are repaet offenders. It was highlighted more than once them infringing. I dont really care for either team but watching the game the agenda was set early and North benefited from it.

Nov 28, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm surprised there has been no mention of Podsiadly throwing his elbow on centre wing halfway through the final quarter.

It was very similar to Judd's elbow on Pavlich, but delivered with more force.

It wasn't replayed on Fox, but the aftermath was and the Kangaroos players were not amused. I fear that because the incident has received no attention and wasn't highlighted at the time, that the whole thing will be ignored.

A very ugly incident indeed.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Firrito and Thompson are repaet offenders. It was highlighted more than once them infringing. I dont really care for either team but watching the game the agenda was set early and North benefited from it.
OK, now tell me that Zac Dawson didn't spend the last 3 years blocking his opponent at every contest, waiting for the spare defender to come in and actually go for the ball. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back